May be older than old fdb?

Gerry Glauser

Jul 14, 2022, 1:20:56 AM7/14/22
to firebird-support
I happened across several GB of images with a number of .fdb files which seem to be a catalog. Since they're old, I loaded firebird2.5 but gstat shows "Wrong ODS version, expected 11, encountered 0".

These are likely from the 1990's, so I don't know if they will be useful, or even for certain exactly what they are, but firebird seems the closest likelihood. Is there any way to read and convert these, if actually valid?

For checking that, I attached one of the smaller files.
Amoeba Man.fdb

Mark Rotteveel

Jul 14, 2022, 1:44:20 AM7/14/22
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Firebird didn't exist in the 1990s, so if it is from that time period,
it is unlikely to be a Firebird database. It could be an InterBase
database, but then I'd still have expected gstat/Firebird to produce a
non-zero ODS (and then, having an extension FDB doesn't make much sense).

Looking at the first few bytes of the file, it is not a Firebird or
InterBase database.

Given it seems to reference images (and based on
https://fileinfo.com/extension/fdb), it could be "Extensis Portfolio",
an image organization program, which has, in one form or another,
existed since the early '90s.

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel

Dave White

Jul 14, 2022, 2:03:59 AM7/14/22
to firebird-support
Unlikely to be a Firebird file. To start with, the magic number if FF FF 07 00 where Firebird is 01 00 39 30.
More likely Portfolio Catalog/Art Explosion Catalog/Microsoft Clipart files.

Gerry Glauser

Jul 14, 2022, 11:27:29 AM7/14/22
to firebird-support
Thanks, guys. I couldn't find what signature to look for, but that's pretty conclusive. I think this was bought from Lotus and came on 18 floppy disks. I had to convert the wmf files to gifs, so I'll just go ahead rearrange stuff.
--Gerry

Mark Rotteveel

Jul 15, 2022, 4:55:33 AM7/15/22
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
(this is a resend, apologies if you received it twice)