FB 4.0.2 hangs in shutdown sequencie

Fabiano SCI

Feb 2, 2023, 6:51:56 AM2/2/23
to firebird-support
Hello. We are using Firebird 4.0.2 Classic in a Windows platform and we are experiencing ocasional hangs. A have the memory DUMPS of this.

The problem occurs that way:
We close all Firebirds connections at once but one specified firebird.exe PID connection hangs in this process (firebird-that_hangs.DMP). When this occurs the firebird.exe PID remains in memory and hangs all other firebird attempts access - to close connections, open new connections etc.

When this occurs, the symptom is other firebird.exe PID with high CPU consumption waiting (firebird-waiting.DMP) . If I kill the Firebird PID that hangs the Firebird became normal and "unhang".

Analysing the dumps with the Firebird PBD's we concluded that is a problem in the shutdown sequence of the firebird.exe PID. Here is the dumps in case someone wants to take a look:

Vlad Khorsun

Feb 3, 2023, 5:03:49 PM2/3/23
to firebird-support
  How do you  "close all Firebirds connections at once" ?

  RAR archive contains firebird-aguardando.DMP and firebird-segurando2.DMP.
Am I correct assuming that this corresponds to the firebird-that_hangs.DMP and firebird-waiting.DMP (in that order) ?

Regards,
Vlad

Fabiano SCI

Feb 6, 2023, 6:45:45 AM2/6/23
to firebird-support

How do you  "close all Firebirds connections at once" ?
We have a Windows Service that opens around ~100 Firebird Classic connections and when this service stops it closes all Firebird connections in rapid succession. Closes the first connection, then closes se second connection an so on to the last connection as fast as it can.

I uploaded a new ZIP file with the correct file names for your convenience.

Fabiano SCI

Feb 8, 2023, 12:31:36 PM2/8/23
to firebird-support
Also we discovered that in some circumstances there is an Access Violation in the fbclient.dll than only occurs in the version 4.0.2 (and not occur in 4.0.1). We thought than can be related to this alteration:

Attached there is a dump and some screenshots that can help.
Our process dump: https://we.tl/t-S4ejdM1Hxe
and

Best regards!

Fabiano SCI

Feb 8, 2023, 12:43:30 PM2/8/23
to firebird-support
https://we.tl/t-UYI5nWJYgn (both screenshots)

Vlad Khorsun

Feb 8, 2023, 7:10:07 PM2/8/23
to firebird-support
Also we discovered that in some circumstances there is an Access Violation in the fbclient.dll than only occurs in the version 4.0.2 (and not occur in 4.0.1). We thought than can be related to this alteration:

Attached there is a dump and some screenshots that can help.
Our process dump: https://we.tl/t-S4ejdM1Hxe
and

  Yes, it look very much like bug that was introduced by fix at #7147 and fixed at #7271

Regards,
Vlad

Fabiano SCI

Feb 9, 2023, 9:24:45 AM2/9/23
to firebird-support
This bug generates the behavior described in the first post (firebird.exe process hanging on shutdown)?

Vlad Khorsun

Feb 10, 2023, 3:53:06 AM2/10/23
to firebird-support
> This bug generates the behavior described in the first post (firebird.exe process hanging on shutdown)?

  It is possible, although that dumps doesn't directly points to it.
Can't get more info from that dumps, unfortunately.

Regards,
Vlad