Interbase and Firebird in the same machine

user...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2021, 5:21:10 AM4/23/21
to firebird-support

Hello every one ,
I am using Interbase 7.5 server .
my application was programming with delphi7 and IBX to connect to the database.
now , i want to convert my database to firebird 2.5 , with the same source of my application.
but , IBX use the dll gds32.dll to connect to the interbase server.
i know tha le dll gds32.dll (of interbase 7.5 server) is in the folder Syswow64 (i have windows 64 bits).
hiw can i do to install firebird and generate its gds32.dll , without uninstall interbase (because i need it for other application).
sorry for my bad english.

Tim Crawford

Apr 23, 2021, 11:35:35 AM4/23/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com, user...@gmail.com
Note that the 64 bit version of gds32.dll/fbclient.dll goes into C:\Windows\system32
and the 32 bit version would go into C:\Windows\SysWow64
This seems backward, but hey it's microsoft...

It's been a while since I did a fresh install of Firebird but I think the option to create a gds32.dll should still be a checkbox here?
(Screen shot is from an older install of 2.5)

So you can install firebird an do not check off this option,
then go into the firebird installation directory\bin and
find fbclient.dll, copy that to the executable directory where
you are testing against Firebird, and rename it to gds32.dll

I do NOT know if there are any implications to installing
Firebird on the same machine as the delphi7 and IBX stack though
Firebird creates a couple of registry entries that will not likely confilict
and for the service assuming to use that option

Tim

UserT UserB

Apr 27, 2021, 4:14:14 AM4/27/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
thanks a lot.
I test my connection like this (with delphi 7 and IBX components )
127.0.0.1/gds_fb:E:\TestFirebird25_Delphi7\MyTeste\EMPLOYEE.FDB

where gds_fb is the name of service in the service file (windows/system32/driver/etc/services)
gds_db           3050/tcp                           # InterBase Server
gds_fb           3071/tcp                           # Firebird Server
It works very well.

but when i change the connection string like this.
127.0.0.1/3071:E:\TestFirebird25_Delphi7\MyTeste\EMPLOYEE.FDB
3071 is the port listening  to firebird.
i get this error :
---------------------------
Erreur
---------------------------
Unable to complete network request to host "127.0.0.1".
Failed to locate host machine.
Undefined service 3071/tcp.
---------------------------
OK

Marcin Bury

Apr 27, 2021, 4:35:24 AM4/27/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I would use 127.0.0.1:3071 instead of 127.0.0.1/3071

HTH
Marcin

Apr 27, 2021, 4:41:53 PM4/27/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com, UserT UserB
I have never touched windows/system32/driver/etc/services to get this to work.
I have a second firebird isntance on my machine, and set it up using the firebird.conf file:

RemoteServicePort = 3071

There is also a RemoteServiceName parameter there but I haven ot tried it:

#RemoteServiceName = gds_db

Tim Crawford