ADO.NET provider 9.1.0.0

Jiří Činčura

Nov 8, 2022, 4:43:02 AM11/8/22
to 'Mr. John' via firebird-net-provider

Greg Christos

Nov 8, 2022, 1:39:59 PM11/8/22
to firebird-net-provider
After updating from 9.0.2 to 9.1.0 on latest entity framework (6.4.4)  in VS 2015 (net48)  Firebird no longer appears in the ADO.NET entity data model wizard using EF designer or code first.
machine.config, app.config,  package.config, global assembly cache and registry settings in 14.0_Config updated and ...
Gone!
I can successfully create a connection string in settings and connect through server explorer.

Am I missing a trick?
Any suggestions?

Thanks, Greg

Jiří Činčura

Nov 8, 2022, 1:42:24 PM11/8/22
to 'Mr. John' via firebird-net-provider
I would check with ProcMon what is VS trying to load.

--
Mgr. Jiří Činčura
https://www.tabsoverspaces.com/

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebird-net-provider/e1df0dcb-4eac-4792-9f45-488b9c736718n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebird-net-provider/e1df0dcb-4eac-4792-9f45-488b9c736718n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Greg Christos

Nov 8, 2022, 1:52:07 PM11/8/22
to firebird-net-provider
Don't sweat it.
This is an old issue that's reared it's ugly head.
I went back to 9.0.2 and still couldn't get it back up, so somewhere I've messed up something.
I'll find the culprit.
But thanks for getting back to me.

Greg Christos

Nov 22, 2022, 3:58:38 PM11/22/22
to firebird-net-provider
Solved!

I went down the rabbit hole with this and ended up renaming everything to BlackbirdSql, including the DDEX data tools, and re-implementng IServiceProvider in the DBProviderFactory class, then registering it as a second Firebird data provider in the private registry.

That works great so if anyone wants the code you're welcome to it. It targets the most recent .Net Framework version only, net48, but that's a simple change by modifying TargetFrameworks in Directory.Build.Props.
(I've been fairly gung-ho on getting this working so the onus is on you for anyone that decides to use it)

So the long and the short of this is that I previously kept my entity data model xaml in a separate project using FirebirdSql version 5.12.1, which was the last version supporting the edmx wizards through IServiceProvider.
When I updated to 9.1.0 I accidentally updated those too.
I'm not sorry this happened because it forced me to establish exactly why the edmx tools no longer work and come up with a better solution then constantly having to switch versions.