Upcoming changes

Jiří Činčura

Nov 11, 2021, 7:56:40 AM11/11/21
to 'Mr. John' via firebird-net-provider
Hi *,

as I described in the ".NET versions support plan" thread some time ago, the release of .NET 6 (LTS) is unblock some changes in provider.

1. MSI installer and DDEX are going to be dropped.
2. EF6 is staying, but further development isn't going to happen. Only keeping it afloat and merging good PRs.
3. EF Core provider will jump to 6 version and will be always "up-to-date" with EF Core version (LTS or Current).
4. FirebirdClient will support:
* .NET FW 4.8 as long as it's not a huge PIA. Some performance optimizations, extra stuff, etc. might not be available there.
* .NET Core 3.1, .NET 5, .NET 6. Although the .NET 5, being non-LTS, will soon become unsupported, it's not blocking anything at the moment, so I don't have a strong opinion about its lifecycle in FirebirdClient.

All this obviously applies to new versions.

All the changes described here will start appearing in the repository in upcoming days.

Also, I'm considering not changing major version number once the changes are done, because if you're on one of the .NETs currently supported, it has zero impact on you. But I'd like to hear your opinion.

--
Mgr. Jiří Činčura
https://www.tabsoverspaces.com/

Jiří Činčura

Nov 12, 2021, 7:06:19 AM11/12/21
to 'Mr. John' via firebird-net-provider
Thinking about it over sleep I'm considering keeping NS2.1 and maybe NS2.0. Not because direct FirebirdClient consumers would benefit from it, but because some upstream libraries might have a different release cycle/policy and the removal would break that.