How to extract the database metadata?

Luciano Rodrigues Nunes Mendes

May 22, 2023, 8:45:54 PM5/22/23
to firebird-net-provider
Hi Guys,

Is there any possibility to extract the database metadata (DDL) using only the ADO.NET provider without needing isql.exe?

Thanks in advance,
Luciano

Jiří Činčura

May 23, 2023, 2:24:41 AM5/23/23
to 'Mr. John' via firebird-net-provider
You mean like `isql -x`? If so then the answer is no.

--
Mgr. Jiří Činčura
https://www.tabsoverspaces.com/

Mark Rotteveel

May 23, 2023, 3:36:03 AM5/23/23
to firebird-n...@googlegroups.com
On 23-05-2023 02:45, Luciano Rodrigues Nunes Mendes wrote:
> Is there any possibility to extract the database metadata (DDL) using
> only the ADO.NET provider without needing isql.exe?

There is nothing built in (not in Firebird, nor in the ADO.NET
provider), if that is what you're asking. ISQL itself generates the DDL
by querying the system tables. Currently, the only options are to build
it yourself or to see if anyone already wrote something like this.

I recently made a ticket to get this built-in in Firebird instead of the
current state of affairs that ISQL does it itself:
https://github.com/FirebirdSQL/firebird/issues/7584

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel

Luciano Rodrigues Nunes Mendes

May 23, 2023, 4:24:43 AM5/23/23
to firebird-n...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jiří and Mark,

Exactly! I asked if just as ado.net "replaces" fbclient.dll would it replace isql.exe as well. Good to know that there is already an open issue that will allow us to extract the metadata from the database without needing isql.exe: This is exactly what I need!

Best Regards,
Luciano