Ideal Packet Size

Nicolas T

Jan 25, 2023, 1:55:10 PM1/25/23
to firebird-net-provider

Hello, in my applications some parts of it make use of BLOBS and we noticed that by increasing the packet size of the connection string to 32K the search time for BLOB fields is much faster, with some queries going from 8 seconds to 1 seconds,

My question is what problem would this cause? Can some other part be slower?

Considering that all my databases are not accessed over the network, they are in LOCALHOST

Jiří Činčura

Jan 25, 2023, 1:56:31 PM1/25/23
to 'Mr. John' via firebird-net-provider
> Considering that all my databases are not accessed over the network,
> they are in LOCALHOST

For localhost, in general, the bigger the better.

--
Mgr. Jiří Činčura
https://www.tabsoverspaces.com/

Nicolas T

Jan 25, 2023, 2:02:01 PM1/25/23
to firebird-net-provider
In this case, if one day you host firebird on separate machines, what impact would it have?

Jiří Činčura

Jan 25, 2023, 3:04:48 PM1/25/23
to 'Mr. John' via firebird-net-provider
> In this case, if one day you host firebird on separate machines, what
> impact would it have?

As long as it's reliable local-like-LAN, close to none. It only matters for WAN-like networks.