jdp-2020-05: Firebird Embedded locator service provider

Vasiliy Yashkov

Jun 28, 2020, 8:39:54 AM6/28/20
to firebird-java
In this design, I did not find any suggestions for server configuration:

Can we change the server configuration before connect, if *.conf files are packaged in jar? Or will connection always be with default parameters? Is there any plan to modify parameters if it needed?

--
Vasiliy

Mark Rotteveel

Jun 28, 2020, 9:33:24 AM6/28/20
to firebi...@googlegroups.com
I hadn't really considered such a solution, yet. What configuration
would you like to change for Firebird Embedded?

In the current proposal, if you need to have a custom configuration of
the Firebird Embedded library, you will have to provide a custom JAR
that includes that configuration.

One of the problems I see is that there isn't really a 'right' time to
configure it. The configuration must be decided on or before first use
(that is: the first to use Firebird Embedded, which triggers the
deployment). Trying to change some of the config (specifically
firebird.conf) later would not be seen (or at least, I believe it is
read only on first use, though I haven't verified that).

I don't know what the right solution for this would be, but I think that
the current solution does not prevent us from implementing such a
solution in the future.

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel

Arioch The

Jun 28, 2020, 7:09:58 PM6/28/20
to firebi...@googlegroups.com
what about app deployment? changing firebird.conf before connecting
seems a bad idea to me, similar to that old habit of keeping user's
data files in Program Files or even in Windows folder, because simple
and easy.

i think that tuning fb config more belongs to application installation
stage, than to application using

Mark Rotteveel

Jun 29, 2020, 4:31:19 AM6/29/20
to firebi...@googlegroups.com
The proposal provides a method of loading a Firebird Embedded instance
from a Java JAR file. This means that at runtime, the Firebird Embedded
instance is extracted and written to a temporary file location, and then
loaded and used. If any configuration needs to happen, it has to be
either part of that Java JAR file (which means that every custom
deployment needs its own JAR), or you need to provide some mechanism to
apply configuration after extraction and before first use.

For now, we could say that the choice is either use a customized jar or
you should deploy Firebird Embedded in the 'old' way (deploy it with the
application yourself, and add it the jna.library.path system property).

Mark