Does anyone use a custom implementation of org.firebirdsql.logging.Logger

Mark Rotteveel

Apr 8, 2023, 4:46:14 AM4/8/23
to firebird-java
For Jaybird 6 (or later), I'm looking at replacing Jaybird's custom
logging framework with java.lang.System.Logger (introduced in Java 9).

Jaybird's custom logging framework currently allows you to write your
own implementation and register it with system property
org.firebirdsql.jdbc.loggerImplementation.

I was wondering: is anyone here using that option? And if so, how would
you feel want that is removed?

The java.lang.System.Logger framework allows you to provide a custom
implementation itself. By default it uses java.util.logging, unless that
module is not loaded, then it gracefully degrades by writing INFO or
higher to System.err. If there is a System.LoggerFinder service loader
implementation on the classpath, it uses that. For example, Log4J 2
already provides such an implementation in
org.apache.logging.log4j:log4j-jpl.

See also https://github.com/FirebirdSQL/jaybird/issues/743

--
Mark Rotteveel

Mark Rotteveel

May 13, 2023, 10:49:53 AM5/13/23
to firebi...@googlegroups.com
I have created a draft JDP for this, and I'm planning to implement it
for Jaybird 6.

See
https://github.com/FirebirdSQL/jaybird/blob/master/devdoc/jdp/jdp-2023-05-use-java-platform-logging-api.md
for details.