Java support for future Jaybird versions: Java 17 minimum for Jaybird 6

Mark Rotteveel

Oct 8, 2022, 11:47:37 AM10/8/22
to firebird-java
I'm finishing up Jaybird 5, which will support Java 8, 11, 17 and "the
latest non-LTS Java release" (currently Java 19). I hope to release a
beta before the end of this month.

Jaybird 6 will use Java 17 as the minimum version. As I understand
people might still be running on older versions for a while, I will
consider Jaybird 5 as a sort of "long-term support" version, which means
maintenance will continue at least until release of Jaybird 7 and maybe
longer.

This maintenance will consist of bug fixes, (limited) support for future
Firebird versions, and in rare cases, backporting of features. After
release of Jaybird 6, on a case by case basis, I might ask to be
sponsored for a backport (e.g. through GitHub sponsors or otherwise).

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel