Deprecate ability to override system functions

Adriano dos Santos Fernandes

Jun 26, 2024, 8:33:50 PM (6 days ago) Jun 26
to firebir...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

We have a feature where system functions with standard syntax can be
overridden by user functions. That started in the earlier implementation
of RDB$GET_CONTEXT/RDB$SET_CONTEXT that were present in metadata and
continued when SysFunction subsystem were created.

With schemas, I think it's time to remove this feature. While it's
possible to maintain it working if something is created only in the
SYSTEM schema, I would not like to do it. I don't think this feature is
used and there are simple ways to workaround it.

Comments?

Adriano

Alex Peshkoff

Jun 27, 2024, 3:43:06 AM (6 days ago) Jun 27
On 6/27/24 03:33, Adriano dos Santos Fernandes wrote:
> Hi!
>
> We have a feature where system functions with standard syntax can be
> overridden by user functions. That started in the earlier implementation
> of RDB$GET_CONTEXT/RDB$SET_CONTEXT that were present in metadata and
> continued when SysFunction subsystem were created.
>
> With schemas, I think it's time to remove this feature. While it's
> possible to maintain it working if something is created only in the
> SYSTEM schema, I would not like to do it. I don't think this feature is
> used

Moreover - I don't think it's useful in any way.

> and there are simple ways to workaround it.
>
> Comments?

Agreed.

Dmitry Yemanov

Jun 27, 2024, 11:17:37 AM (6 days ago) Jun 27
to firebir...@googlegroups.com
I don't mind.

Dmitry