New docker images

F. D.Castel

May 11, 2024, 4:00:39 PMMay 11
to firebird-devel
Hello!

1) I've started working on a new set of Docker images for Firebird. It's available in

Sources:
https://github.com/fdcastel/firebird-docker

Packages at ghcr.io:
https://github.com/fdcastel/firebird-docker/pkgs/container/firebird

Albeit new the images have good test coverage, automated builds, already got some useful feedback (thanks @mdreissig, @vsj, and @asfernandes), and are already in use with some projects in my company.

If you use Firebird with Docker in any capability, please give them a try and open an issue in github for problems and/or suggestions.

2) Docker has a Docker-sponsored open source program.

https://www.docker.com/community/open-source/application/

And I'm wondering if I can ask them to create a "Firebird" organization in the name of the Firebird Dev Team / Firebird Foundation.

Current free accounts have no Github integration and no automation capability. Docker has stripped them down some time ago.

Also, it will be a nice touch to use something like "firebird/firebird" as the image name instead of "fdcastel/firebird".

3) Why?

For years, we had the great work of Jacob Alberty at

https://hub.docker.com/r/jacobalberty/firebird

With 10M+ downloads in Docker Hub.

But it seems now he is going to greener pastures. The current available images are not being updated, and I have gotten no answer from him in the last 2 weeks.

Kind regards,

F.D.Castel

Adriano dos Santos Fernandes

May 11, 2024, 6:40:34 PMMay 11
to firebir...@googlegroups.com
Em sáb., 11 de mai. de 2024 17:00, F. D.Castel

2) Docker has a Docker-sponsored open source program.

https://www.docker.com/community/open-source/application/

And I'm wondering if I can ask them to create a "Firebird" organization in the name of the Firebird Dev Team / Firebird Foundation.

Current free accounts have no Github integration and no automation capability. Docker has stripped them down some time ago.

Also, it will be a nice touch to use something like "firebird/firebird" as the image name instead of "fdcastel/firebird".

I'm the owner of the docker community org firebirdsql. I once registered it to reserve the name and never put anything there.

I give away of it when they changed their policy, but once they changed it again I asked for and they reverted the deletion.

I do only agree to put things there if the docker project is also put in FirebirdSQL GitHub org.

Adriano

F. D.Castel

May 12, 2024, 1:34:07 AMMay 12
to firebird-devel
I'm the owner of the docker community org firebirdsql. I once registered it to reserve the name and never put anything there.

Great!

I give away of it when they changed their policy, but once they changed it again I asked for and they reverted the deletion.

Nice!

I do only agree to put things there if the docker project is also put in FirebirdSQL GitHub org.

A sensible decision.

I can gladly donate the code to the Firebird project. And I'm willing to keep maintaining it.

BTW: I'm also the maintainer of Firebird And Firebird-ODBC Chocolatey packages (for Windows):

Both which are currently sourced in my GitHub personal account, with other packages:

If interested, we could also donate/move them to FirebirdSQL org @ GitHub. And I can also help integrate them with any CI/CD automations of both projects.

Mark Rotteveel

May 12, 2024, 5:11:52 AMMay 12
On 12/05/2024 00:40, Adriano dos Santos Fernandes wrote:
> I do only agree to put things there if the docker project is also put in
> FirebirdSQL GitHub org.

Sounds good to me.

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel

Pavel Cisar

Jun 19, 2024, 7:12:59 AM (14 days ago) Jun 19
to firebir...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Any news regarding Firebird docker images? As nobody opposed it, it
would be nice to proceed with the proposed arrangement.

best regards
Pavel Cisar
IBPhoenix

F. D.Castel

Jun 19, 2024, 12:31:56 PM (14 days ago) Jun 19
to firebird-devel
Pavel,

They are available here. And, I believe, ready to prime time. I already got a few feedbacks. Feel free to use them and also comment.

I'm available to help in whatever is needed to move it to Firebird foundation namespaces. I purposely did not announce them in Firebird News because of this. I'm waiting for you, guys :)

Also, I'm willing to keep them updated and maintained.

Mark Rotteveel

Jun 21, 2024, 4:59:26 AM (12 days ago) Jun 21
On 19/06/2024 18:31, F. D.Castel wrote:
> Pavel,
>
> They are available here <https://github.com/fdcastel/firebird-docker>.
> And, I believe, ready to prime time. I already got a few feedbacks. Feel
> free to use them and also comment.
>
> I'm available to help in whatever is needed to move it to Firebird
> foundation namespaces. I purposely did not announce them in Firebird
> News because of this. I'm waiting for you, guys :)
>
> Also, I'm willing to keep them updated and maintained.

I can help with getting access set up on our GitHub project, but for the
Docker side, you'll need to coordinate with Adriano, and he should also
be able to help you set up with GitHub (I think).

It might be easier if you and Adriano handle and coordinate this together?

Adriano, what do you think?

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel