Re: [FirebirdSQL/firebird] Too long numeric hex literal silently converted to value 0 with an alias (Issue #7594)

Dmitry Yemanov

May 23, 2023, 6:58:46 AM5/23/23
to firebir...@googlegroups.com
23.05.2023 13:40, Adriano dos Santos Fernandes wrote:

> I'm not sure what you mean with this. The rule I quote is a sane
> rule for a parser/tokenizer, and I suspect no one in their right
> mind would write something like |select 0alias from atable| and
> expect it not to produce an error.
>
> I already received the same question by people, "why this works"? So,
> people write it.

But the question itself means they also consider this abnormal and thus
likely to agree with this to be fixed.

People used longer-than-31-character aliases for years, but we broke it
(for a reason). Making the lexer rules more consistent may be a good
reason too. Just my 2 cents.

> For me it's nonsense like things |1+2+3| without spaces, and yes, people
> write it (a lot).

This is not a nonsense for me, although I never write expressions this
way myself. For me it's just a readability thing like "if(expr) -> if
(expr)". But something like if(expr)then1else0 would surely be nonsense.

Dmitry

Dmitry Yemanov

May 23, 2023, 7:00:58 AM5/23/23
to firebir...@googlegroups.com