Metadata for floating-point datatypes

Dimitry Sibiryakov

Oct 20, 2022, 11:47:04 AM10/20/22
to Firebird Developers List
Hello All,

in previous versions floating-point datatypes were used as storage for
decimals in dialect 1 so their metadata included scale. In HEAD I see that
neither scale nor subtype are included into MessageMetadata for floating-point
types.
Do I miss something or dialect 1 is so dead now?

--
WBR, SD.

Dimitry Sibiryakov

Oct 20, 2022, 11:52:37 AM10/20/22
to firebir...@googlegroups.com
'Dimitry Sibiryakov' via firebird-devel wrote 20.10.2022 17:46:
> In HEAD I see that neither scale nor subtype are included into MessageMetadata
> for floating-point types.

Actually it is funnier: scale is sent for dtype_double but not for dtype_real.

--
WBR, SD.

Mark Rotteveel

Oct 20, 2022, 11:55:50 AM10/20/22
to firebir...@googlegroups.com
That is - as far as I know - because only dtype_double is used for
NUMERIC/DECIMAL with precision > 9 in dialect 1, so there is no need to
communicate scale with dtype_real.

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel

Dimitry Sibiryakov

Oct 20, 2022, 11:57:43 AM10/20/22
Mark Rotteveel wrote 20.10.2022 17:55:
>>    Actually it is funnier: scale is sent for dtype_double but not for dtype_real.
>
> That is - as far as I know - because only dtype_double is used for
> NUMERIC/DECIMAL with precision > 9 in dialect 1, so there is no need to
> communicate scale with dtype_real.

That makes sense. Thanks.

--
WBR, SD.