There is a plan for a Firebird COMPRESSION plugin?

Fabiano SCI

May 22, 2024, 11:36:14 AMMay 22
to firebird-devel
Hello folks.
There is a plan for a Firebird COMPRESSION plugin?

Our system stores all individual retail purchase sales, including supermarkets. It generates a LOT of space, customers with 2 year data has almost 1TB of Firebird data.

There be wonders if there is a Firebird plugin do compress data, similar to Firebird encryption plugin where a Data Page passes through plugin and get encrypted/dencrypted.

Best regards, Fabiano

Dimitry Sibiryakov

May 22, 2024, 11:42:08 AMMay 22
to firebir...@googlegroups.com
Fabiano SCI wrote 22.05.2024 17:36:
> There be wonders if there is a Firebird plugin do compress data, similar to
> Firebird encryption plugin where a Data Page passes through plugin and get
> encrypted/dencrypted.

Firebird data is already compressed by RLE algorithm. There was proposal to
use LZA but it didn't pass. In any case you wouldn't get a big compression ratio.
You can turn on compression on file system level if you wish.

BTW, 1TB is a size of a common HDD. Serious storages are measured in PB
nowadays and Firebird file limit is 128TB.

--
WBR, SD.

Adriano dos Santos Fernandes

May 22, 2024, 7:49:59 PMMay 22
to firebir...@googlegroups.com
Firebird already accept external blob filters, it's up to search or
create one.

Adriano