Push notifications without FireBase

JustMember

Jan 27, 2023, 2:48:53 AM1/27/23
to Firebase Google Group
Hi. I have a couple of questions about Push notifications. I'm developing an App that uses a custom REST API backend. I'm wondering how I can approach a user's push notifications from a full custom backend without using FireBase (FCM) etc. Is there any possible way to achieve it without FireBase? I want to send all Push from my backend directly to the device: Android / iOS. So the logic is:

My Web Backend => Android / iOS App

and not a:

My Web Backend => FireBase => Android / iOS App

I tried to search for any solutions for this, but unfortunately, I found only 3d party services that still use FireBase as a service. Thank you!

Carsten Hagemann

Jan 31, 2023, 10:08:36 AM1/31/23
to Firebase Google Group

However: unless you setup your own notification infratstructure in your backend, you have to rely on their (or any other provider) service, so the flow will be:
My Web Backend => Pushy => Android/iOS App

Anubhab Das

Jan 31, 2023, 10:08:36 AM1/31/23
to Firebase Google Group
You need to create custom service.
Check this.

https://stackoverflow.com/a/43682770/5482658

This might help you.

Arthur Thompson

Jan 31, 2023, 11:52:03 AM1/31/23
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
The reason you would/should not roll your own messaging service is because doing so would have a significant impact on the user's battery. Android and iOS have systems that try to optimize message delivery to limit battery impact as much as possible. For mobile message delivery using the platform specific systems (FCM, APNs) is recommended.