GDPR compliance Analytics for Firebase, persistent identifier (Android IDs and IDFV)

cgon...@gmail.com

Apr 29, 2019, 4:27:44 PM4/29/19
to Firebase Google Group
Hello,

according to https://firebase.google.com/support/privacy/ IDFVs/Android IDs are used.
When are these identifier used?

They are a problem. Since under special circumstances the user has the right that the data is deleted. Anyway using persistent identifier is not good.

According to https://support.google.com/firebase/answer/6318039 "By default, on Android the SDK collects the Advertising ID. If the Advertising ID is not collected, the device's hardware identifier, e.g., Android ID (SSAID), is collected instead."
Does it mean that
 1) if the user disables the use of the advertise ID within the mobile system functions or
 2) i disable the collection of the Advertise ID through the Analytics interface, does that mean it uses the Android IDs

the Android IDs are used?

I can't see any reason for using the Android IDs.

kind regards

Kato Richardson

Apr 29, 2019, 5:21:38 PM4/29/19
to Firebase Google Group
Hello cgongames,

Without some persistent identifier, it's impossible to collect analytics data for even a single session, much less analyze repeat visitors and so on.

Note that a persistent identifier doesn't prevent a user's data from being deleted. It's possible to delete all Analytics data associated with a given device/user by calling resetAnalyticsData and setAnalyticsCollectionEnabled. See this article.

I don't know under what circumstances an Advertiser ID wouldn't be present and we'd fall back to using the Android SSAID. Sorry I can't be more helpful with that part.

☼, Kato

Kato Richardson | Developer Programs Eng | kato...@google.com | 775-235-8398

Julien Gassmann

Apr 30, 2019, 2:54:21 PM4/30/19
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kato,

this isn't a simple question or short topic. And it's confusion which ID is used for which data. I spent a whole day just about this.

Firebase for Analytics is separated in two parts:
Demographic data and device information/events user perform.

The app Instance ID is used to identify the same user. The app instance ID might be used for Device Information/Events user perform.

The Advertise ID is available upon version 4.4 Kitkat.
Advertise ID is usually used for demographic Data (therefore it was invented). Before Android 4.4 the demographic Data was associated with the Android ID.
It might be that the device information/user events are associated with the advertise ID even if it's disabled through Device. This is still allowed through gdpr. Only the usage for personalized advertise isn't allowed anymore when the advertise ID is disabled.

If you make resetAnalyticsData according to https://support.google.com/firebase/answer/9019185?hl=en "Clears all analytics data for this app from the device and resets the app instance id". It doesn't delete the data from the statistics (this is valid through gdpr). If the App Instance ID and Advertise ID is used everything is alright, since a new app instance ID is given and the old instance id can't be used to identify the person anymore. Therefore the old instance ID is no more a personal data. Just uninstalling the App gives a GDPR compliance.
The advertise ID can be reset at any time. No problem therefore.

But if by example the SSID is used instead of advertise ID:
As mentioned above, the data isn't deleted from the server backend of the statistic.
SSID can't be changed/reset.
Therefore personal data is kept into the server backend of the statistics. And this is under some circumstances, when the user got the right to delete his data invalid by GDPR. And i can't see a valid reason for collection persistent identifier. Therefore the usage of Analytics by legitimation through §6f GDPR is no more allowed. You would need the user consent.
When user give consent, he has always the right that the data is deleted. This persistent identifier makes it so complicated.

The Unity3d SDK doesn't provide the deletion of data only the reset of App Instance ID. A deletion of the App doesn't mean that there isn't anymore personal data collected when the SSID or similar persistent Identifier is used. I have to know, if i should implement a deletion through my server and also if i need user consent.

Kato Richardson

May 7, 2019, 1:31:26 PM5/7/19
to Firebase Google Group
Hi Jullen,

Thanks for the additional details. It looks like you can disable collection of SSAID (Settings.Secure.ANDROID_ID) in your AndroidManifest.xml:

You may also want to look at the user deletion API.

☼, Kato