Solution to Firebase Dynamic Links Service Outage

Kosuke Ishita

Aug 17, 2024, 11:34:40 PMAug 17
to Firebase Google Group
Dear service representative,
My name is Ishita from J Stream Inc.

We provide our customers with a video URL shortening feature using "Firebase Dynamic Links" on our flagship service, which name is Equipmedia.

However, we are currently facing difficulties in handling the situation, as we mentioned that your company's service will be discontinued (End of Life) on August 25th, 2025. Is there any possibility of finding a solution or alternative measures to ensure the continuity of the service? As an example of alternative measures, extending the expiration period of issued shortened URLs by about 2 to 3 years. We would like to continue using the service beyond August 25th.

Many of our clients belong to the publishing industry, and they have incorporated QR codes of shortened video URLs generated by "Firebase Dynamic Links" into their textbook materials. We have received numerous complaints from these publishing-related clients, as all the previously issued shortened URLs will be invalidated simultaneously with the EOL.

Many of our customers are currently facing confusion due to all previously issued shortened URLs will be invalidated simultaneously with the EOL, and Google dosn't provide any alternative solutions or approaches in this regard.

After the EOL on August 25th, 2025, is there a way to avoid shortened URLs resulting in a 404 error?
Is it possible continue the service?

Sincerely, Ishita, J Stream

Hiroharu Tanaka

Sep 13, 2024, 11:55:09 AMSep 13
to Firebase Google Group
Dear service representative,

Could you give a response to the above matter?

In addition, if extending the service end is difficult, is it possible to rewrite the URL generated and issued shortened URL to another URL using the management feature or settings of Firebase Dynamic Links? We are considering to transit to a specially page which display message about service end to our user via new URL, until the EOL.

Please give a response whether Firebase Dynamic Links has the functionality to change the destination URL.

Sincerely, Hiroharu
2024年8月18日日曜日 12:34:40 UTC+9 Kosuke Ishita:

sumitc...@google.com

Sep 13, 2024, 4:27:39 PMSep 13
to Firebase Google Group
Hello both, thanks for your message.

Assuming you would like to redirect your users to a specific URL whenever they click on an FDL link while FDL is still serving (i.e. the specialty page you mentioned about the service being shut down), one option could be the following:

1) Removing the link parameter from your FDL links (this is assuming you no longer want the deep-link to initiate the App Links or Universal Links flow even if your app is already installed).
2) Specify an afl and ifl parameter in your FDL links and set them to the URL(s) you want to use for the specialty page.
3) Update the ofl parameter to the URL for the specialty page.

At the moment there isn't a way to offer redirection for FDL links besides the above and the current shutdown date is still planned for August 25, 2025, however we'll take your feedback into consideration and post again here if there are any updates.

Thanks,
-Sumit

Hiroharu Tanaka

Sep 23, 2024, 8:15:39 AM (13 days ago) Sep 23
to Firebase Google Group
Sumit-san,
Thank you for your reply.

We would like to operate above procedure to check transition to specially page. But we have only one account which uses for production account and always access many users, so we can't change configuration file.
How can we get one more accout to check above procedure?

Thanks, kindly support.
2024年9月14日土曜日 5:27:39 UTC+9 sumitc...@google.com:

Hiroharu Tanaka

Sep 30, 2024, 10:29:55 AM (6 days ago) Sep 30
to Firebase Google Group

Dear service representative,
We have Dynamic Links account but can't create new Dynamic Links.
Could you tell us how to create new Dynamic Links via firebase console?

2024年9月23日月曜日 21:15:39 UTC+9 Hiroharu Tanaka:

Hiroharu Tanaka

Oct 4, 2024, 12:26:15 PM (2 days ago) Oct 4
to Firebase Google Group

Hello, Sumit-san
We have checked above procedure whether redirect to a specific URL.
To add the ofl parameter, we can redirect to a specific URL page, but issued shortened URL had changed.
Many of our clients incorporated QR codes of shortened URL their meterials, so we would like to redict to a specific URL without changing issued shortened URLs.
Is there any way without changing issued shortened URLs?
And changing shortened URL is specification of FDL?

2024年9月30日月曜日 23:29:55 UTC+9 Hiroharu Tanaka: