Firebase support on native desktop applications

Gil Hagi

Aug 7, 2015, 11:50:43 AM8/7/15
to Firebase Google Group
Hi guys, the mobile SDK's and offline sync are quite nice.  I was wondering if there were any plans to offer similar SDK's for cross platform desktop apps?  The Obj-C framework can be used on Mac, but that leaves Windows out in the cold.  Has there been any discussion on supporting Windows via C++?  We could use the REST API for some basics, but not offline sync.

Gil

Jacob Wenger

Aug 17, 2015, 10:38:38 AM8/17/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Hey Gil,

Sorry for the delay in answering this question. Hopefully it hasn't been blocking you.

There are no current plans for a Firebase C++ library. I would imagine we would implement a C# client before a C++ one. If you are developing modern Windows apps, you could use our JavaScript library which does handling offline sync. However, it will not persist across app launches like our mobile SDKs do.

Hope that answers your question,
Jacob

On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 8:41 AM, Gil Hagi <gil...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi guys, the mobile SDK's and offline sync are quite nice.  I was wondering if there were any plans to offer similar SDK's for cross platform desktop apps?  The Obj-C framework can be used on Mac, but that leaves Windows out in the cold.  Has there been any discussion on supporting Windows via C++?  We could use the REST API for some basics, but not offline sync.

Gil

Linus Långberg

Jun 15, 2017, 5:16:15 PM6/15/17
to Firebase Google Group
A Firebase C++ SDK would be quite nice to have, but I reckon that the existing C++ library can be used to some extent in a desktop environment.

Stewart Miles

Jun 15, 2017, 5:18:34 PM6/15/17
to Firebase Google Group
Yep we know and we're considering it :)

Cheers,
Stewart

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 2:03 PM, Linus Långberg <langbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
A Firebase C++ SDK would be quite nice to have, but I reckon that the existing C++ library can be used to some extent in a desktop environment.

Stewart Miles

Apr 10, 2018, 12:11:38 PM4/10/18
to Firebase Google Group
In case you missed it, we released support for testing on desktop at GDC '18 https://firebase.google.com/support/release-notes/cpp-relnotes#4.5.0 you can read more here https://firebase.googleblog.com/2018/03/firebase-is-at-gdc-2018.html

Cheers,
Stewart

Martin Haker

Apr 11, 2018, 11:10:11 AM4/11/18
to Firebase Google Group
Hi Steward,

support for testing on desktop is great. The documentation explicitly notes that this is a Beta feature not intended for publicly shipping code. Are there any plans to fully support desktop platforms? For applications that have both a mobile and a desktop UI this would be quite convenient.

cheers
Martin

On Thursday, June 15, 2017 at 2:18:34 PM UTC-7, Stewart Miles wrote:
Yep we know and we're considering it :)

Cheers,
Stewart
On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 2:03 PM, Linus Långberg <langbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
A Firebase C++ SDK would be quite nice to have, but I reckon that the existing C++ library can be used to some extent in a desktop environment.

Jackblue Johnson

Apr 11, 2018, 11:10:11 AM4/11/18
to Firebase Google Group
From your second link we can read :
Note that desktop support is intended to make development and testing easier, but it's not for publishing Firebase-enabled games to end users on desktop machines.

So it's not really a stable solution.

Le mardi 10 avril 2018 18:11:38 UTC+2, Stewart Miles a écrit :
In case you missed it, we released support for testing on desktop at GDC '18 https://firebase.google.com/support/release-notes/cpp-relnotes#4.5.0 you can read more here https://firebase.googleblog.com/2018/03/firebase-is-at-gdc-2018.html

Cheers,
Stewart

On Thursday, June 15, 2017 at 2:18:34 PM UTC-7, Stewart Miles wrote:
Yep we know and we're considering it :)

Cheers,
Stewart
On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 2:03 PM, Linus Långberg <langbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
A Firebase C++ SDK would be quite nice to have, but I reckon that the existing C++ library can be used to some extent in a desktop environment.

Stewart Miles

Apr 12, 2018, 1:53:57 PM4/12/18
to Firebase Google Group
That's correct, we're currently just supplying desktop support as a feature to streamline your workflow when building mobile applications.

If you need official desktop support please file feature requests on Firebase support with a description of why you need this (e.g you need to ship on PC, Android, iOS and %X of your revenue comes from PC), this will help us prioritize future efforts.

Cheers,
Stewart