fcm push 501 error :Operation is not implemented, or supported, or enabled.

茨木勇貴

Sep 4, 2024, 12:23:38 PM (10 days ago) Sep 4
to Firebase Google Group
Hello everyone, I'm experiencing intermittent 501 errors with FCM push notifications since August 13th.

I've noticed some responses suggesting upgrading the SDK version, but I'm using Ruby and have already implemented the REST API with http_v1.

My current implementation sends batches of 500 messages to the endpoint https://fcm.googleapis.com/batch.I'm wondering if this endpoint might be approaching deprecation, which could be causing these issues.However,

1. The Go Admin SDK version 4 still appears to be using the same https://fcm.googleapis.com/batch endpoint.
2. The official Firebase documentation (https://firebase.google.com/docs/cloud-messaging/send-message?hl=en#rest_1) shows curl requests being made to this endpoint, indicating it should still be valid.

So I'm not entirely sure if this is the root cause of the problem. Has anyone else encountered similar issues or have insights into what might be causing these 501 errors?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Additional details:
- Using Ruby for implementation
- Already migrated to http_v1
- Sending batches of 500 messages
- Errors started occurring from August 13th
- Errors are intermittent, not consistent
- The 501 error occurs in about 25% of requests
- Sometimes the error resolves upon retrying the request

Thank you in advance for any help!

Joe Spiro

Sep 4, 2024, 4:04:02 PM (10 days ago) Sep 4
to Firebase Google Group
Hello,

Sorry for the confusion but looking at the use of the https://fcm.googleapis.com/batch, all the methods in the Golang Admin SDK that call it are deprecated (e.g. SendAll and SendAllDryRun). Additionally as mentioned in the Send a batch of messages and Send messages to multiple devices which use `SendAll` and `SendMulticast` , it reads "The send methods described in this section were deprecated on June 21, 2023, and will be removed in June 2024. For protocol, instead use the standard HTTP v1 API send method, implementing your own batch send by iterating through the list of recipients and sending to each recipient's token. For Admin SDK methods, make sure to update to the next major version. See the Firebase FAQ for more information"

茨木勇貴

Sep 5, 2024, 10:53:33 AM (9 days ago) Sep 5
to Firebase Google Group
I apologize. I was reading the page in the Japanese documentation, but the Japanese documentation had stopped being translated, and none of the information you provided was displayed. It seems I missed confirming this. This is very helpful. Thank you very much.

2024年9月5日木曜日 5:04:02 UTC+9 Joe Spiro:

Joe Spiro

Sep 5, 2024, 11:22:39 AM (9 days ago) Sep 5
to Firebase Google Group
Hello Ibaragi,

There is no need to apologize. Thank you very much for bringing this asymmetry in documentation to my attention. My team will investigate it and I hope to have it fixed/up to date soon.

- Joe