Are retention rates in Firebase measured with users who open the app or users you sign up?

Philip Nagel

Jun 15, 2019, 11:07:09 AM6/15/19
to Firebase Google Group
I would like to clarify, do the cohorts given in Firebase retention rates represent every user who opens the app or just the users who are signed in with Firebase Auth?

Kato Richardson

Jun 17, 2019, 9:54:38 AM6/17/19
to Firebase Google Group
Hi Phillip,

Analytics metrics are not based on Firebase Auth uuids. So they are independent.

More on how Analytics identifies unique visitors:

☼, Kato

On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 8:07 AM Philip Nagel <philipn...@gmail.com> wrote:
I would like to clarify, do the cohorts given in Firebase retention rates represent every user who opens the app or just the users who are signed in with Firebase Auth?

Kato Richardson | Developer Programs Eng | kato...@google.com | 775-235-8398

Philip Nagel

Jun 17, 2019, 10:45:42 AM6/17/19
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Got it, one more question. If a user opens the app for the first time, closes it, and opens it again. Would they be counted as two users?

Kato Richardson

Jun 17, 2019, 11:22:34 AM6/17/19
to Firebase Google Group
No, that wouldn't be useful would it? The ids survive for the life of the app installation (unless they are reset manually).

Philip Nagel

Jun 17, 2019, 2:57:16 PM6/17/19
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Last question, and I’m only asking these to be 100%, does the retention rate include users who download the app but never open it?

Kato Richardson

Jun 17, 2019, 3:11:20 PM6/17/19
to Firebase Google Group
I don't believe there's any way to send metrics to the server until the app is opened and used. So users who download the app but never open it shouldn't be recorded.