Feature request - change minimum_Instances to minimum_Extra_Instances

Tracy Hall

May 6, 2022, 5:45:55 PMMay 6
to Firebase Google Group
When discussing cold vs warm starts, and minimum_instance on another google group, we realize having one instance already running when another invocation comes in doesn't help the *second* invocation - *that* invocation *still* has to cold-start.

It seems what we *really* want is NOT a minimum # of instances - but a minimum # of EXTRA instances MORE THAN ARE CURRENTLY RUNNING. Let's call this "minimumExtra"

So with minimumExtra=1
If no function is currently running - one "extra" instance is kept warm for a total of 1 instance
if one function is currently running -  one "extra" instance is kept warm for a total of 2 instances
if 10 functions are currently running -  one "extra" instance is kept warm for a total of 11 instances

The goal is not "at least one is warm" - the goal is "at least one is warm and NOT BEING USED" to be ready to pick up the NEXT invocation.

Should be settable from 1 to "n" depending on your systems burst levels, etc.

Tracy Hall
LeadDreamer