Issue with Push Notifications Affecting Average Interaction Time

Jon río

Jun 24, 2024, 10:40:47 AMJun 24
to Firebase Google Group

I have a question about an unusual behavior we've observed in our company. We develop mobile games for Android, and since implementing push notifications via Firebase on May 21, we've noticed a decrease in average interaction time, as shown in the attached GA4 image. The pattern we see is very strange and doesn't seem to reflect reality.

We suspect that each time a notification is sent, GA4 counts it as a new session for the users, even if they don't open the notification, as only ~1% of the users actually interact with them. We send a push notification every 48 hours, which explains the peaks in the data.

Could you help us understand why this is happening and how we can correct the measurement of interaction time?

Captura de pantalla 2024-06-24 153659.pngCaptura de pantalla 2024-06-24 153900yjtyjt.png

Enviados= Sent

Abiertos= Opened