Cloud Function killed. Error: function crashed out of request scope

Varun Gupta

Apr 7, 2017, 11:43:57 PM4/7/17
to Firebase Google Group
Hi,

I have asked this question on stackoverflow here but I haven't received any responses probably because it is not a direct coding question. I am observing below error for one of my cloud functions

Function killed. Error: function crashed out of request scope

I have observed it quite a few times since I opened the stackoverflow question and a bit concerned now.

I have described the function itself in detail in this stackoverflow question. It is a long-running cloud function. I have assigned it a memory of 1 GB and a timeout of 180 seconds to give it enough time to complete.

There are no other supporting logs with more information on the Firebase logs console and I couldn't find more information about this error on the web. I have a few questions

  1. What does this error mean? Is there a way to get more information about this error from the logs. I tried looking for logs in the Google Cloud console for this function but didn't find anything extra.
  2. Is there a way to set alerts when such errors or a timeout occurs for an execution of a function? The only reason I know this error has occurred is that I happened to look at the Firebase Functions Logs console around the same time when this error occurred.
  3. When I look at the details of this function on Google Cloud console, it still says that no errors are reported for this function for the last 7 days. The above errors have occurred a few times for this function and this function has also timed out a few times in the last 7 days. Are such events not considered as error events for a function?
Thanks,
Varun

Varun Gupta

Apr 11, 2017, 1:18:45 AM4/11/17
to Firebase Google Group
Hi,

I am not sure if something is wrong with the question in which case I would appreciate some comments on what is missing in the question so that I can it. Meanwhile, I am still having this issue with no clue what may be causing it as it is a complete black box for me. I would really appreciate at least a brief description of what this error means so that I can try to figure out what may be causing it in my code.

Thanks,
Varun