SIFT descriptors

Rahayu A Hamid

Apr 23, 2012, 11:55:09 PM4/23/12
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm trying to used the extractsparsesifthistogram...but not sure if I'm using it correnctly. The options used are reduction (what is the best value?) and color pictures.

This what I got...

(10) [FeatureExtractors/extractsparsesifthistogram.cpp:231:printSettings] settings:
(10) [FeatureExtractors/extractsparsesifthistogram.cpp:232:printSettings] ===========================
(10) [FeatureExtractors/extractsparsesifthistogram.cpp:233:printSettings] suffix=sparsesifthisto.gz
(10) [FeatureExtractors/extractsparsesifthistogram.cpp:234:printSettings] common histograms? no
(10) [FeatureExtractors/extractsparsesifthistogram.cpp:235:printSettings] steps=4
(10) [FeatureExtractors/extractsparsesifthistogram.cpp:236:printSettings] prune threshold=0
(10) [FeatureExtractors/extractsparsesifthistogram.cpp:237:printSettings] scale=0
(10) [FeatureExtractors/extractsparsesifthistogram.cpp:238:printSettings] position? no
(10) [FeatureExtractors/extractsparsesifthistogram.cpp:239:printSettings] dimensionality reduction=32
(10) [FeatureExtractors/extractsparsesifthistogram.cpp:241:printSettings] save PCA? 0
(10) [FeatureExtractors/extractsparsesifthistogram.cpp:242:printSettings] load PCA? 0
(10) [FeatureExtractors/extractsparsesifthistogram.cpp:243:printSettings] discretisation mode=1
(10) [FeatureExtractors/extractsparsesifthistogram.cpp:247:printSettings] leaveoutfirst? no
(10) [FeatureExtractors/extractsparsesifthistogram.cpp:248:printSettings] decrease stepsizes=4
(10) [FeatureExtractors/extractsparsesifthistogram.cpp:250:printSettings] ===== SIFT settings =====
(10) [FeatureExtractors/extractsparsesifthistogram.cpp:251:printSettings] number of octaves: -1
(10) [FeatureExtractors/extractsparsesifthistogram.cpp:252:printSettings] number of levels per octave: 3
(10) [FeatureExtractors/extractsparsesifthistogram.cpp:253:printSettings] starting octave: 0
(10) [FeatureExtractors/extractsparsesifthistogram.cpp:254:printSettings] grid size: 10
(10) [FeatureExtractors/extractsparsesifthistogram.cpp:562:main] calculating PCA
[Core/pca.cpp:121:calcPCA] ERROR: PCA running without SVD.
some things after this point are definitively broken.
(10) [FeatureExtractors/extractsparsesifthistogram.cpp:684:main] precomputed maximal value for dimension 0 is nan
(10) [FeatureExtractors/extractsparsesifthistogram.cpp:685:main] precomputed minimal value for dimension 0 is nan
(10) [FeatureExtractors/extractsparsesifthistogram.cpp:685:main] precomputed minimal value for dimension 31 is nan
(10) [FeatureExtractors/extractsparsesifthistogram.cpp:754:main] creating histograms
(1) [FeatureExtractors/extractsparsesifthistogram.cpp:911:main] cmdline was: ./extractsparsesifthistogram --reduction 32 --color --filelist /home/rahayu/try2

I really appreciate the help. Thank you.

Rahayu

believed to be clean.

Thomas Deselaers

Apr 24, 2012, 3:10:46 AM4/24/12
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Which are the best options strongly depends on the images you are working with.
I would recommend to start with steps=2 and dimensionality=8 and from there experiment. Note that the dimensionality of the final histograms is exponential in the dimensionality with  finaldim= steps^dimensionality.

best, t.

http://thomas.deselaers.de

Emeline

Apr 24, 2012, 3:29:28 AM4/24/12
to FIRE - Flexible Image Retrieval Engine
Hello,

Just another remark, perhaps this error "[Core/pca.cpp:121:calcPCA]
ERROR: PCA running without SVD.
some things after this point are definitively broken."
might affect your results. So, if you want get rid of it, you should
install lapack and atlas libraries.
And about options, you can choose to consider your color images as
gray level images. This will significantly decrease your computation
time.

Best regards,

Emeline

Thomas Deselaers

Apr 24, 2012, 3:49:24 AM4/24/12
to fire...@googlegroups.com
hi,

Good point:
To use pca dimensionality reduction you need atlas. Without PCA, sparse SIFT histograms will get way too large to be usable.

Regarding gray-level images: Yes, this will make everything at least 3x faster, but it will come at the cost of not using color (which may or may not be a good idea depending on your images).

t.

Rahayu A Hamid

Apr 25, 2012, 9:51:04 PM4/25/12
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Thank you!
dangerous content by MailScanner , and is
believed to be clean.

--
This email was Virus checked by Astaro Security Gateway.

Rahayu A Hamid

Apr 26, 2012, 2:11:26 AM4/26/12
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thomas and Emaline,

I tried installing lapack and atlas libraries and then make fire once again. But I
still get the same messages as before and no histograms were created. Could there be
anything else that I'm doing wrong?

Is it sufficient to install the libraries using the package manager?

Regards

Rahayu

Emeline

Apr 26, 2012, 2:50:31 AM4/26/12
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rahayu,

 Do you have any error while doing make?
 Do you uncomment the lines corresponding to those librairies in the Makefile?

Regards,

Emeline

Thomas Deselaers

Apr 26, 2012, 3:15:53 AM4/26/12
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Rahayu,

As Emeline suggests: you need to edit the Makefile.

t.

Rahayu A Hamid

Apr 27, 2012, 12:52:06 AM4/27/12
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thomas and Emeline,

I have uncomment the lines corresponding to those librairies in the Makefile as you sugested and do make again. While doing make, there were lots of warning messsages.

I tried the extractsparsesifthistogram again and this time, this is what I got

rahayu@rahayu-desktop:~/fire-cbir-2.3/bin$ ./extractsparsesifthistogram --steps 2 --reduction 8 --color --filelist /home/rahayu/try2
(10) [FeatureExtractors/extractsparsesifthistogram.cpp:231:printSettings] settings:
(10) [FeatureExtractors/extractsparsesifthistogram.cpp:232:printSettings] ===========================
(10) [FeatureExtractors/extractsparsesifthistogram.cpp:233:printSettings] suffix=sparsesifthisto.gz
(10) [FeatureExtractors/extractsparsesifthistogram.cpp:234:printSettings] common histograms? no
(10) [FeatureExtractors/extractsparsesifthistogram.cpp:235:printSettings] steps=4
(10) [FeatureExtractors/extractsparsesifthistogram.cpp:236:printSettings] prune threshold=0
(10) [FeatureExtractors/extractsparsesifthistogram.cpp:237:printSettings] scale=0
(10) [FeatureExtractors/extractsparsesifthistogram.cpp:238:printSettings] position? no
(10) [FeatureExtractors/extractsparsesifthistogram.cpp:239:printSettings] dimensionality reduction=8
[...]
** On entry to DLASCL parameter number 4 had an illegal value

Any ideas on what's going on?

Thank you for the help.

Regards,

Rahayu

Thomas Deselaers

Apr 27, 2012, 1:50:24 AM4/27/12
to fire...@googlegroups.com
No. Not at all. That's somewhere deep inside of lapack/atlas libraries.

Here is the docu of DLASCL:

I would suggest to try different parameters and/or using sparsepatchhistograms instead.

I really haven't used this at all lately. Maybe Emeline, who kindly responded earlier, can give one of her commandlines that work.

Best,
t.

--
http://thomas.deselaers.de

Emeline

Apr 27, 2012, 3:17:49 AM4/27/12
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rahayu,

I tried the same command line as yours. But instead of using the --filelist option, I used "--images home/Pictures/try/*.jpg" , and it works!
But when I used --filelist option, with the directory as parameter, which is what you might be doing, I have exactly the same error as you.
This error certainly happens since --filelist wants a list of pictures as parameter and not a directory ...
So perhaps try to use the --images option.

Hope it would help!

Thomas Deselaers

Apr 27, 2012, 3:22:40 AM4/27/12
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

good observation Emeline. Indeed, --filelist requires a text file  with the filenames (and maybe some additional stuff? I don't know from the top of my head).

t.

Emeline Landemaine

Apr 27, 2012, 3:46:44 AM4/27/12
to fire...@googlegroups.com
--filelist seems to work fine with a text file with the filenames in it and that's all!
I just put those filenames with their absolute path in a file, since I launch fire from another directory.

Rahayu A Hamid

Apr 29, 2012, 9:12:28 PM4/29/12
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Hi Emaline,