This is not good...

Ognen

Sep 28, 2022, 5:16:40 PM9/28/22
to FilterMeister Mailing List (FMML)
I begin to realize that this place became a zombie frame which means the members are participating but not active. It feels like grave. So will think twice if I continue to develop the FM plugin myself.

Ognen

Sep 28, 2022, 5:17:17 PM9/28/22
to FilterMeister Mailing List (FMML)
Such a shame.

Duncan Suss

Sep 28, 2022, 5:42:10 PM9/28/22
to FilterMeister Mailing List (FMML)
Sorry - I haven't used FM or programmed with it in about 9 years. (I don't even have a host for the development any more.)

Please remember that everyone on the list is a volunteer, in different parts of the world and time zones. You might get a response, but not instantly.

Best regards,

Duncan

Richard Rosenman

Sep 28, 2022, 5:49:13 PM9/28/22
to FilterMeister Mailing List (FMML)
Hi Ognen;

As many have said at the beginning of your participation last year, FM is a discontinued product. As such, you won't get much help here and pretty much everyone has stopped developing with it. I was one of the last ones and I too was sad to have to put it down but in hindsight, you will be far better off investing your time in working with a product that is fully supported, such as the official Adobe Photoshop SDK and Visual Studio C++.

Yes, it's quite a bit more complex but if I managed to do it (and I am by no means overly-technically minded), you can too.

FM was still a huge help as a learning tool and my migration to VS C++ was easier because of it. I was also able to then migrate to the After Effects SDK which is way, way, WAY more complex. So FM certainly helped.

But the longer you delay and continue to invest your time in an officially dead piece of software, the longer it will take you to eventually get up to speed with a modern day tool.

Good luck!
-Richard

Richard Rosenman // Creative Director
Hatch Studios Ltd. // 1.416.565.6609

Roberto

Sep 28, 2022, 6:45:45 PM9/28/22
to filter...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ognen,

All your mail ended up in my spam box: also not helping for getting replies :-P
I learned about them by receiving replies to your posts.

Yep, like the others said the active development, the actual use of FM by programmers and as a consequence vibrant use of this list has become history.
But I agree with this list still being here a bit more or at least technically useful feedback would be suspected.
Seems like pretty much everyone from this list moved on and does not bother with FM anymore. Usually sticking to something old does not make practical sense unless it is for personal pleasure.
That grave analogy you made might not be far off afterall.
Still it sucks you found a great tool and then learned it was obsolete software.

Really sorry for your disappointment. FM is a great tool, period. But the animo is not there anymore in the current generations. I wish you learned about FM 18 years ago or so: then you would have had experienced a very active list with helpful responds coming in every day.

Due to circumstances FM development and documentation got seriously behind on daily technology and on top of that general people got other interests as well. It was clear FM was going down this way. FM program, example code and docs are open source now including its own source code. Just for the sake of those interested and hopefully some day some one or more would pick its development up again as a niche project that once matured would gain interest from the public again. Wishful thinking but always better than flushing years of work down the drain in a wink of an eye. Who knows how many still would benefit from the software...such as people like you :-P

Nevertheless, an active member group would be a tad more comfortable and helpful. However, it is what it is: not much anymore. FM software today is basically available 'as is', not more and not less.

Cheers,
Roberto

Op Wed, 28 Sep 2022 23:16:40 +0200 schreef Ognen <gog...@gmail.com>:

I begin to realize that this place became a zombie frame which means the members are participating but not active. It feels like grave. So will think twice if I continue to develop the FM plugin myself.

Harry G

Sep 29, 2022, 2:34:35 AM9/29/22
to filter...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ognen,

Alex worked from 1997 to roughly 2002 on FM. He did a great job, but it seems it was either not his intention to make serious money with it or his illness kept him from working more on FM or both.

I contributed 99% of new features from 2001 to 2009, otherwise there would not have been much progress. I had to start using a Visual C++ FM framework since early 2009 because I needed 64-bit versions of my plugins. A 64-bit version of FM only became available in 2014.

In 2012 I started working on automation plugins for Photoshop Elements mainly, so FM was no help apart from a few general functions. My filter plugins still use the FM framework, but 2 years ago I started working on a FM-free version of them, which uses a totally new UI and image processing framework. Not sure if that will ever be released, because I'm currently concentrating on developing trading algorithms.

So as you see FM was not much under development since 2009. Without me it would have been stuck since 2003 more or less. As Richard mentioned it is best to use the VS FM version (that I made available) if you want to add new features or fix problems.

Photoshop plugins lost their appeal 10 years ago as more and more people started using smart phones instead of cameras and Lightroom instead of Photoshop. I don't think there is a way back.

So, your enthusiasm is appreciated, Ognen, but you probably cannot count on much help. I worked on it mostly myself too, but was no problem for me, because I earned a living from my plugins.

Kind regards,
Harald Heim

paul.s...@telenet.be

Sep 29, 2022, 8:20:22 AM9/29/22
to filter...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ognen and others,

It was the intention of Alex to lower the threshold in programming for amateur filter makers. As everybody obviously still affirms, it allows indeed to realize filter concepts in a relative easy way, compared to more pure professional programs. And as Roberto added: 'It is what it is'. But that remains nonetheless a lot. I'm a retired photographer and learned stepwise working with FM from when it came up. It might be a dead piece of language now, but that's Latin too. It kept good value. With all available existing code, it's possible to make swift working filters with a nice and ergonomic looking GUI. What I keep wondering is, for whats sake the obsession in the trial to make 'mindblowing' GUI and not in in the first place to concentrate to let a filter properly work? That remains for me the primordal criterium. I don't give a dime for the shape of a slider as long as everything works clear and without any hesitation. Some fancy lay-outs even irritate me. A filter must appear fast, show a reliable preview, offer a smooth control and click-clack, done!

In an earlier post, I proposed the use of basic empty filter structures, to speed up the writing of the core code of a filter. I still support that idea and continued working on it. It's comparable to an empty Excel sheet. You don't need each time to first write that sheet before being able to drop your main code in it. Meanwhile, it includes a code block that allows a smooth zoom range. Thus that limitation of FM is solved too.

Another interesting feature I made is a tool for measuring the speed of all possible functions and coding in FM in an computer independent way. It compares the time increase (Ti) of what's been measured to an empty run of the total number of iterations, made for that measurement. This gives computer independent Ti-factors of each measurement and allows making better choices in writing and constructing filter code. You can even predict how long a run will take already in the writing phase. Some results are at least very unexpected: e.g. integers are not always faster than floats and divisions are about three times slower than multiplications!... Knowing this makes already a significant difference in processing speed!

I will post and document more of this later on...

Greetings,
Paul