Plug-In Trampoline Alpha

Nicholas

May 15, 2022, 3:16:47 AM5/15/22
to FilterMeister Mailing List (FMML)
Release version 0.7.0.
Changes:
  • Add an ARM64 version of the bridge plug-in.
  • Upgraded the 32-bit host application to .NET 6.
    • .NET 6 is much newer and has many improvements and optimizations compared to the .NET Framework.
  • Dropped Windows 7 support.
    • Windows 8.1, 10 or 11 is now required.
  • Added a Session Logging tab to the Preferences dialog.
  • Added a cache for the loaded plug-in data
    • This can dramatically reduce the 32-bit host startup time.
  • Various other improvements and bug fixes.
The session logs provide diagnostic output when loading and running plug--ins.
It should hopefully allow me to determine if a plug-in is failing to run due to a missing feature in the 32-bit host.

Roberto

May 22, 2022, 8:40:02 AM5/22/22
to filter...@googlegroups.com
-- Previous reply (May 16th) accidentally was private instead of 'to list'; since I got no reply I doubt if it came through: --

Hi Nicholas,

Nice to see people are still standing behind a past project :-)
It has been a while Plugin Trampoline saw the light and now an update is a nice surprise really.

Unfortunately ... you guessed it: the new version is not doing much here:
- During installation a folder is asked for to put a copy of the plugin in: folder remains empty
- Running stand-alone: noting happens when trying to open an image.
- Running the plugin (in Affinity Photo): error message before plugin UI even shows.

So nothing much left to play with :-P

Roberto

Gemaakt met Opera's e-mailprogramma: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Ognen

May 23, 2022, 3:17:43 PM5/23/22
to FilterMeister Mailing List (FMML)
To me, this looks suspicious though. I guess there is explicit format of the applications, such as .8bf or other Photoshop format.

Nicholas

May 24, 2022, 1:44:05 AM5/24/22
to FilterMeister Mailing List (FMML)
> -- Previous reply (May 16th) accidentally was private instead of 'to list'; since I got no reply I doubt if it came through:

I did get the reply when I checked my email, but I usually only check the public list for updates.
I made the same mistake when sending my first reply to your message (using reply/reply to author instead of reply all).

> - During installation a folder is asked for to put a copy of the plugin in: folder remains empty

I broke that while adding the ARM64 plugin support to the installer, it should be fixed for the next release.

> - Running stand-alone: noting happens when trying to open an image.

I am able to open images in standalone mode, does it give any error messages?

> - Running the plugin (in Affinity Photo): error message before plugin UI even shows.

What does the error message say?

> To me, this looks suspicious though. I guess there is explicit format of the applications, such as .8bf or other Photoshop format.

I can understand that. :-)
This thread is a continuation of a thread on the old Yahoo Groups mailing list, so I did not describe what the Plug-In Trampoline software is.

Plug-In Trampoline is program that allows x64 and ARM64 plugin hosts to use x86 plugins. It is intended to be a freeware alternative to
software like AlphaPlugins LaunchBox on Microsoft Windows.

It operates by using a 64-bit Photoshop plugin that exports the current layer to be processed in separate x86 plugin host.

I normally would have made the code open source, but I cannot do that in this case due to the licensing restrictions of the post-6.0
Photoshop SDK  versions. I currently implement the CS3/CS4 versions of the PICA Action Descriptor, Action List and Action Reference suites.
Most of the x86 plugins I have seen only use APIs that are present in the 6.0 SDK, but there may be others that require one of the newer suites.