Free plugins by me

Ognen

Mar 6, 2022, 6:41:44 PM3/6/22
to FilterMeister Mailing List (FMML)
Hello,

I have just uploaded my first free plugin named Outer Space made with FilterMeister standard plugin. Next will be rewritten in VS version.
 I have tested the x64 version on my configuration and it works fine. I haven't tested the x86(maybe works) because I am very long time on x64 architecture.

Please visit the link below at box.com to download the plugin as google does not allow direct uploading here.

Best regards,
Ognen

paul simoens

Mar 7, 2022, 5:58:19 AM3/7/22
to filter...@googlegroups.com

Helas, I can’t judge your work.
I’m still working in 32-bit Photoshop.

Regards,
Paul

Ognen

Mar 7, 2022, 7:05:04 AM3/7/22
to FilterMeister Mailing List (FMML)
Hi Paul,

> I’m still working in 32-bit Photoshop.
In the zip there is also 32-bit plugin version. As I said, I cannot test it, and also there were some errors before successfully was compiled.

Regards,
Ognen

paul simoens

Mar 7, 2022, 7:32:44 AM3/7/22
to filter...@googlegroups.com

In the unzipped file I can only find
outerspace_x64.8bf
outerspace_x86.8bf
no _x32.

I tried the _x86, but this is apparently not recognized as plugin. I simply doesn’t appear.
And the _x64 gives a Windows warning…
This isn’t making me confident to further slip these things in the plugin folder…

Paul

Ognen

Mar 7, 2022, 11:26:39 AM3/7/22
to FilterMeister Mailing List (FMML)
> no _x32
x86 refers to the 32-bit architecture.

> I tried the _x86, but this is apparently not recognized as plugin
This happens usually when working on 64-bit Photoshop. If not, then it is definitely something wrong at compilation time.

> And the _x64 gives a Windows warning…
What warning if I may know?

>This isn’t making me confident to further slip these things in the plugin folder…
I have checked the plugins on VirusTotal, have no viruses found in both.

Roberto

Mar 7, 2022, 1:20:09 PM3/7/22
to filter...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ognen,

Perhaps you should first compile something simple (Hello world) to see if we can open those 8bf files without errors.

Roberto

Ognen

Mar 7, 2022, 7:45:02 PM3/7/22
to FilterMeister Mailing List (FMML)
Hi Roberto and Paul,

I have just tested my plugins, both, in x86 and x64 environment. They are running completely normal without errors even though there were errors showing at compile time for the x86 plugin.
My tests were performed in Photoshop 2017 x86(32-bit) and also, in which I am working now, in Photoshop 2022 x64(64-bit only) version.

> Perhaps you should first compile something simple (Hello world) to see if we can open those 8bf files without errors.
Which versions of Photoshop are you working on if I may know?

paul simoens

Mar 8, 2022, 10:40:28 AM3/8/22
to filter...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ognen,

As long as I am the limiting factor rather than my system, I am working with Photoshop CS3 and FM-version AfhFM04dx32mt5c07.8bf in 32-bit. This combination works very stable and satisfying. I have Photoshop CS5 too, but dislike the imposed workflow of it. I have all advantages to be patient before upgrading. There is actually a world wide chip shortage which rises the prices and meanwhile everything is still improving. For my next configuration I will choose for the state of the art that can last for another decade. The main difference for me will be that I will be able to work comfortable in e.g. A2 formats. Now, I’m more or less limited to A3, without using memory tricks…

About your plugin: as told, the x86 didn’t show up in my Photoshop after putting it in the plugin folder. Went something wrong with the zipping-unzipping? You could probably add the plugin simply as it is in attachement? I can’t say more about. And you, Roberto, did you succeed to apply it?

Regards,
Paul

Roberto

Mar 8, 2022, 3:18:09 PM3/8/22
to filter...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Serif PhotoPlus X8 32bit:   plugin category not visible in plugin menu
XnView Classic 32bit:   plugin category not visible in plugin menu
Corel Photopaint 2018 32bit:   plugin category visible in plugin menu but plugin will not open/start

Plugin Commander Pro 32b:    plugin category visible in plugin menu but plugin will not open/start

Affinity Photo 1 64bit:   plugin works
Serif PhotoPlus 64bit:   plugin works

Ognen, impressive plugin effect for a first creation, really!!
Well, I guess it's your first plugin you actually shared with others :-P

Roberto

Ognen

Mar 8, 2022, 5:07:30 PM3/8/22
to FilterMeister Mailing List (FMML)
Hello Paul and Roberto,

Roberto wrote:
>Serif PhotoPlus X8 32bit:   plugin category not visible in plugin menu
>XnView Classic 32bit:   plugin category not visible in plugin menu
>Corel Photopaint 2018 32bit:   plugin category visible in plugin menu but plugin will not open/start
Actually maybe not the zipping or unzipping, but with the error that is thrown at the compilation time I have stated in the thread which I started just for bugs and errors of FM. I had recompiled the 32-bit version again but forgot to overwrite before uploading and that is why you had problems opening the 32-bit version, it was the bad one you were trying to open. Now it is fixed and it should work with your systems too. Please let me know if there is problem.
 I have successfully tested it in CS3 32-bit, CC 2017 32-bit and Photoshop 2022 64-bit.

Paul wrote:
> You could probably add the plugin simply as it is in attachement?
I have tried that, but Google Mailing List does not allow me to upload and that is why I went through box.com.

Please download the re-uploaded zip file from this link:

Roberto wrote:
>Ognen, impressive plugin effect for a first creation, really!!
>Well, I guess it's your first plugin you actually shared with others
Thank you Roberto and yes, it is my first plugin. There will be more free plugins in the future.

Regards,
Ognen

paul simoens

Mar 9, 2022, 8:49:38 AM3/9/22
to filter...@googlegroups.com

Photoshop CS3 32-bit: plugin visible but at opening immediate conflict and shut down.

I no longer want continu to put and remove this uncontrolled things in the plugin folder.

Ognen

Mar 9, 2022, 9:39:44 AM3/9/22

Paul wrote:
> Photoshop CS3 32-bit: plugin visible but at opening immediate conflict and shut down.
I am really sorry that I don't know what really caused your plugin not to work on your system. As I have said before, running the 32-bit plugin on a CS3 32-bit was successful on my system.
Also, random running/breaking the 32-bit version shows that it might be a problem with the compile-time error(strange it continued to compile the plugin afterwards). I am not experienced in solving that bug although I will try.

Ognen

Roberto

Mar 9, 2022, 1:26:34 PM3/9/22
to filter...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ognen,

I noticed you only recompiled the 32bit version (time stamp of 8bf-file) ; therefore I only tested the x86 plugin.

Serif PhotoPlus X8 32bit:  OK
Corel Photopaint 2018 32bit:   OK
XnView Classic 32bit:  OK
Plugin Commander Pro 32bit:  OK

However, the very first time I opened Outer Space in PhotoPlus and started to render the effect PhotoPlus crashed at an early stage but at next attempts it worked fine (dialog + rendering)
Rendering is very slow but it works :-P

Roberto

Roberto

Mar 9, 2022, 1:51:19 PM3/9/22
to filter...@googlegroups.com
Test email: see if jpg and zip attachments are sent along with message in Google group ...

testing 12...

Op Wed, 09 Mar 2022 19:26:28 +0100 schreef Roberto <gro...@romus.nl>:
Outer_Space-examples.jpg
Outer_Space-examples.zip

Ognen

Mar 10, 2022, 3:03:51 PM3/10/22
to FilterMeister Mailing List (FMML)
Hello Roberto,

>I noticed you only recompiled the 32bit version (time stamp of 8bf-file) ; therefore I only tested the x86 plugin.
Yes, that is right.

> However, the very first time I opened Outer Space in PhotoPlus and started to render the effect PhotoPlus crashed at an early stage but at next attempts it worked fine
I must admit the only software that you mentioned in your previous message I have been working a long time ago was Corel PhotoPaint and I was not even aware that now it accepts Photoshop plugins :)).
Maybe Serif PhotoPlus X8 32-bit is not accepting 32-bit PS plugins, maybe FM has buggy output, I cannot comment on that.
Did you test it in some of the Photoshop 32-bit versions? Paul already said he had unsuccessful attempt to run the 32-bit version of the plugin.

>Rendering is very slow but it works
Yes it is, but because it is on a CPU rendering, even not a multi-threaded, the code is actually optimized. I read that multi-thread is not recommended when developing a Photoshop plugins even with the SDK itself.

Ognen

Mar 10, 2022, 3:07:38 PM3/10/22
to FilterMeister Mailing List (FMML)
>Test email: see if jpg and zip attachments are sent along with message in Google group ...
I have received the message in my email and also am able to download the pics.
I am not sure why from my email there is restriction. Maybe something is wrong with my email account.

Regards,
Ognen

Roberto

Mar 11, 2022, 12:08:47 PM3/11/22
to filter...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ognen,

No, I have no products from Adobe installed.

Corel Photo-Paint supports 8bf filters and that was already the case with CorelDraw 7 (not to confuse with X7) which was released roughly around 1997. So Photo-Paint supports 8bf filter at least 25 years already.

There are multiple Photoshop-compatible plugin (ex-)developers having used FilterMeister who successfully applied multi-threading in their plugins. The first name that pops up right now is Richard Rosenman.
Perhaps the advice not to go for multi-threading lies in the old format: you might need to take full control of all the in- and output in the plugin code itself. The original 'Adobe Photoshop plugin format' / SDK might not feature any related 'on-board-' functionality.

But frankly if you would focus in that direction already I think you are taking a few leaps ahead; there's still much other more useful familiarity to gather and experimenting to do with FilterMeister until the basics have gotten second nature. From that point you can get really creative and go for the more challenging ideas without loosing overview too quickly :-P
With constantly walking on the toes nobody ever reached very far :-)

Roberto

Roberto

Mar 11, 2022, 12:15:24 PM3/11/22
to filter...@googlegroups.com
Or maybe the group moderator has to grant you those rights?
I was invited to join this Google list when the old FMML (Yahoo Groups FilterMeister Mailing List) was cancelled.
Maybe that was a different setup than a new member subscribing directly to this group.

Roberto

Ognen

Mar 11, 2022, 4:00:01 PM3/11/22
to FilterMeister Mailing List (FMML)
Hi Roberto,

> Perhaps the advice not to go for multi-threading lies in the old format: you might need to take full control of all the in- and output in the plugin code itself.
As the SDK documentation is the same from 1999 and Adobe did not invest a dime to update it, I agree that you might be right.

> But frankly if you would focus in that direction already I think you are taking a few leaps ahead; there's still much other more useful familiarity to gather and experimenting to do with FilterMeister until the basics have gotten second nature.
I am sticking to FileterMeister because of the fact that the SDK is very complicated to be understood.

> Maybe that was a different setup than a new member subscribing directly to this group.
Possible.

Roberto

Mar 11, 2022, 5:59:01 PM3/11/22
to filter...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ognen,

Later up this evening I remembered in the past multithreading functions were discussed/added to FilterMeister.
Just looked it up in Wiki:

Multithreading Functions

countProcessors - Returns the number of (virtual or physical) processors in your system.

triggerThread - Creates a worker thread to execute the OnCtl handler.

waitForThread - Waits for one (or all) worker threads to complete.

isThreadActive - Tests whether a specific (or any) worker thread is still active.

getThreadRetVal - Retrieves the exit code value of a completed worker thread.

terminateThread - Terminates a specified (or all) worker thread(s).

So quite a few thread management functions are ready to use in FM. Up to you to split code execution in smart parts that can individually be executed and if threads are interdependent special care is taken: think every worst case scenario through as if anything can go wrong it will :-)

Roberto

Roberto

Mar 11, 2022, 6:04:48 PM3/11/22
to filter...@googlegroups.com
...more complete:

Multithreading Functions

countProcessors - Returns the number of (virtual or physical) processors in your system.

triggerThread - Creates a worker thread to execute the OnCtl handler.

waitForThread - Waits for one (or all) worker threads to complete.

isThreadActive - Tests whether a specific (or any) worker thread is still active.

getThreadRetVal - Retrieves the exit code value of a completed worker thread.

terminateThread - Terminates a specified (or all) worker thread(s).

Critical Section Functions

createCriticalSection - Allocates and initializes a Critical Section.

enterCriticalSection - Enters a Critical Section, first waiting until no other worker thread is inside.

tryEnterCriticalSection - Enters a Critical Section immediately if available; returns false if the Critical Section is currently occupied by another worker thread.

leaveCriticalSection - Leaves a Critical Section, permitting another waiting worker thread to enter it.

deleteCriticalSection - Deletes a Critical Section and all its resources when no longer needed.

Ognen

Mar 11, 2022, 7:33:01 PM3/11/22
to FilterMeister Mailing List (FMML)
Thank you Roberto,

I am already studying these functions and finding a way on how to figure out the '2+2' problem. Ia ma also studying the VS source code provided by Kohan, there is also multi-threading implemented and it works as expected.

Regards,
Ognen