Happy New year and thank you all for making 2012 such a great year.

Thorkell A. Ottarsson

Dec 31, 2012, 2:36:02 PM12/31/12
to film...@googlegroups.com
Happy new year all members of the Internet Film Club. This has been a
great year, with some amazing months, where we have studied the
following directors:

Josef von Sternberg
Robert Aldrich
Satyajit Ray
Ken Russell
Bernardo Bertolucci
Theodoros Angelopoulos
Vittorio De Sica
Stan Brakhage
Samuel Fuller
Kenji Mizoguchi
Marx Brothers
Chris Marker

I would very much like to hear which of these months you liked best
and maybe what you did not care too much for.

The high points for me (aside from Josef von Sternberg, whom I knew
very well before) where Satyajit Ray, Theodoros Angelopoulos and
Vittorio De Sica. I had only seen a handful of films by these three
directors and love discovering their treasures. They are all now high
on my favorite directors list! Ken Russell was also a great fun and
journey. A mixed bag but always interesting. I finally learned to
appreciate the Marx Brothers and studying Chris Marker was like making
a new friend. His warmth, humanism and poetry totally won me over.

I look forward to 2013. We already have four brilliant months coming up:

January 2013: David Eisen - Pre- Code Hollywood IM MEMORIAM of David Eisen
February 2013: Natalie Shmuel - The Golden Age Musicals
March 2013: Linda Key - Ernst Lubitsch
April 2013: Thorkell A. Ottarsson - Carl Theodor Dreyer

All the best
Thorkell

Thorkell A. Ottarsson

Jan 1, 2013, 8:35:31 AM1/1/13
to film...@googlegroups.com
No one has anything to say? I feel like I'm in a ghost town.

Zelia Trueb

Jan 1, 2013, 10:10:14 AM1/1/13
to film...@googlegroups.com
Trust you all had a good time welcoming the new year to its teens - 2013 - is any one suspicious here?  Well, you'll have 365 days to overcome your phobia.  My prescription is to live each day to its fullest, leaving no space for suspicion and voila, you'll be cured...

We had some good choices of director this past year.  Below is the list of the ones I enjoyed the most, along with my favorite of theirs films, if I had to pick one.   The experimental film month, was interesting, but have much more to discover about film, before I return to it.  The Marx Brothers, I can appreciate their talents greatly, but only in small dozes at the time.

Robert Aldrich - Kiss me Deadly
Ken Russell - Women in Love
Bernardo Bertolucci - Last Tango in Paris
Theodoros Angelopoulos -  Eternity and a Day
Vittorio De Sica -  Bicycle Thieves
Samuel Fuller -  Pickup on South Street
Marx Brother -  A night at the Opera

Wishing you all lots of film viewing in this new year!

Zelia

Sent from my iPad

Bobby Beksinski

Jan 1, 2013, 10:35:56 AM1/1/13
to The Internet Film Club
Sternberg and Ray for sure,

On Jan 1, 10:10 am, Zelia Trueb <zxtr...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Trust you all had a good time welcoming the new year to its teens - 2013 - is any one suspicious here?  Well, you'll have 365 days to overcome your phobia.  My prescription is to live each day to its fullest, leaving no space for suspicion and voila, you'll be cured...
>
> We had some good choices of director this past year.  Below is the list of the ones I enjoyed the most, along with my favorite of theirs films, if I had to pick one.   The experimental film month, was interesting, but have much more to discover about film, before I return to it.  The Marx Brothers, I can appreciate their talents greatly, but only in small dozes at the time.
>
> > Robert Aldrich - Kiss me Deadly
> > Ken Russell - Women in Love
> > Bernardo Bertolucci - Last Tango in Paris
> > Theodoros Angelopoulos -  Eternity and a Day
> > Vittorio De Sica -  Bicycle Thieves
> > Samuel Fuller -  Pickup on South Street
> > Marx Brother -  A night at the Opera
>
> Wishing you all lots of film viewing in this new year!
>
> Zelia
>
> Sent from my iPad

Bobby Beksinski

Jan 1, 2013, 10:45:46 AM1/1/13
to The Internet Film Club
To elaborate more:

I had not previously seen any Sternberg before and his month was my
favorite. It introduced me to a new favorite actor of the silent era
in Emil Jennings and after falling in love with The Blue Angel and The
Last Command, I had to go on immediately to his work with Murnau to
watch more and was not disappointed.

Satyajit Ray would be 2nd for me and maybe first if I could get ahold
of more of his films. He is probably out of all of the great auteurs
of the past the most criminally underrated and unwatched. So few of
his films are available outside of India and the ones that are tend to
be in such disastrous shape quality wise that it hinders the viewing
experience anyway. He really needs Criterion or some restoration
company to come in and restore all of his films to dvd/blu ray.

Stan Brakhage was probably my least favorite month just because I had
never before watched any experimental cinema and had high hopes but
after watching his films I found myself very disappointed. However I
tend to realize with any new form of cinema I have never experienced
before that I am usually not keen on it at first and it takes some
time to get use to before I can fully begin to appreciate it.