The Marx Brothers - A DAY AT THE RACES (1937)

David D

Nov 4, 2012, 10:52:35 AM11/4/12
to film...@googlegroups.com

I’m glad Bobby posted a review first because I honestly thought I might be the odd man out this month.  I voted for and looked forward to a month of the Marx Brothers. I know their work only thru A NIGHT AT THE OPERA and clips I’ve seen here and there—plus a sequence in Woody Allen’s HANNAH AND HER SISTERS where a depressed Allen finds reaffirmation in life and living by seeing a Marx Brothers’ comedy one afternoon. So I was so ready for a hysterical Marx Brothers month.

I started with A DAY AT THE RACES. Well, “races” isn’t the word because the film seems to drag at a slow pace—apparently it’s their longest film. A number of times they deliver a punch line and seem to wait for the response. I’ll admit I was amused at a line here and there, but I expected a laugh and a minute and didn’t get it.

Here’s what didn’t work for me: Grocho and Margaret Dumont didn’t act out their classic relationship, with Grocho wooing and displeasing the stuffy Dumont. Some of the set up routines seemed to go on too long; example: when Chico keeps selling Grocho booklets to help him get a winning bet at the tracks, and I didn’t find the “Tootsie Fruitsie” routine funny at all.  After an hour I bailed, so I never saw the (now PC-incorrect) stereotypical “Negro Number.” Oh, and I fast-forwarded through a long musical number where the male lead sang with a line up of chorus girls before fountains.  Rating: 6/10.

David D

Dec 7, 2012, 10:13:29 AM12/7/12
to film...@googlegroups.com
Well I dropped the ball on the Marx Brothers all right. Somehow November slipped away and I never watched another one after RACES. But something else happened: I stopped receiving the Film Club emails and thought no one was watching. Now the emails are showing up again, and I see that several of you have been commenting on their movies all along. I'll catch them on TCM and am moving ahead to Dec picks. :-(

Thorkell A. Ottarsson

Dec 7, 2012, 10:14:48 AM12/7/12
to film...@googlegroups.com
Great to see you again!