The Marx Brothers - A Night At The Opera

Bobby Beksinski

Nov 16, 2012, 10:57:54 PM11/16/12
to The Internet Film Club
This is by far their best film and so completely different in style
from their others that I have seen. It is still very much so a Marx
Bro.'s film and it contains their trademark gags and routines. Groucho
is as lippy as ever and delivers his infamous one liners right off the
punch. Chico and Harpo continue their duet mixture of slap stick and
anarchy on the social order. And it cannot be a Marx Brothers film
with Harpo playing the harp and Chico at the piano, only here the
musical sequence is performed the best I have seen from them and the
most visually appeasing in the way they chose their shots for that
scene.

In "Night At The Opera" as opposed to the other Marx films I have seen
there is not a constant barrage of jokes and gags but a cinematic
environment of characters and a intriguing plot of artistic hierarchy
and of course why not throw a love triangle in the mix as well. Here
the notorious Marxist (as in the Groucho kind) jokes and gags flow
evenly within the story and it makes such a satisfying film
experience. I loved the Opera world I was shown and the different
array of characters and to have the Marx brothers in this sort of
world just echos chaos that is about to ensue and boy o boy do I want
to see it happen. The ending segment at the Opera house in New York is
one unforgettable spectacle in the comedy genre of filmmaking. This
film took me by surprise and then some. Bravo! I rate it a 8/10 for
now but this could easily get bumped up to a 9/10 in the future.

Bobby Beksinski

Nov 16, 2012, 11:02:48 PM11/16/12
to The Internet Film Club
On a side note: I think Harpo is becoming my favorite of the three. I
am just putting that out there. Something about his demeanor and of
course being silent reminds me of Chaplin.

Thorkell A. Ottarsson

Nov 16, 2012, 11:54:33 PM11/16/12
to film...@googlegroups.com
Well this film has a director who is more concerned with the visual
aspects, so that might be one of the reasons you like this more. Sam
Wood was known for perfectionism and many takes :)

I agree with you on Harpo.

I wonder what you would think about Duck soup if you saw it again now :)

Thorkell

Bobby Beksinski

Nov 17, 2012, 12:19:46 AM11/17/12
to The Internet Film Club
I actually think I would enjoy it more for the Marxist comedy in
general and being more accustomed to their character personas but I
still would not like it enough to consider it one of their best films.
It still contains some moments that I really cringe towards. There was
a reviewer on Letterboxd that commented on Duck Soup rather perfectly
saying it contained such high points that the Marx brothers were able
to reach in their comedy along with repetitive lows. The one I am most
curious about retrying is Animal Crackers but I cannot do that yet so
soon.

On Nov 16, 11:54 pm, "Thorkell A. Ottarsson" <thork...@gmail.com>