Punch Drunk Love (2002) - P.T. Anderson Options

Guillermo Garrido Lestache Vidal

Nov 16, 2010, 12:41:37 AM11/16/10
to film...@googlegroups.com
I watched this for the first time and I give it an 8/10.

It is not really a film of the kind that we can consider important. Specially in the future when PTA will have made more movies, this will increasingly be considered a minor one.

Anyhow, it is a very interesting film. I was always thinking that something terrible would happen at the end, like a mental breakdown, or Barry being murdered by Hofman's character. I don't know, I was probably mislead by PTA's ambiguous (but intentional) mix of crude violence and romantic love.

I think I've got it right with my interpretation of PTA's symbolism: the piano represents Barry's sweetness and the pudding represents his insanity and extreme personality. I would like to know other's interpretation of this.

I didn't really get the last scene, if anyone can explain to me. What was it about and what was its point?

I pretty much hate Adam Sandler, he represents for me all that is wrong in hollywood, I identify him with the typical hollywood romantic comedies which I universally dispise. Yet his performance is really good here, he really transmits the character's inability to socialize properly. But this is in part enhanced by PTA's magnific direction and writing. I think the message with this film is that even a sociopath like Barry can find love and be corresponded. With all his awkwardness, he still relates intimately even though it comes about awkward, it is still intimation.

Guillermo

Thorkell A. Ottarsson

Nov 16, 2010, 5:15:09 AM11/16/10
to film...@googlegroups.com
I watched this again two days ago. I was not sure what to think of
this film the first time I saw it but now it really spoke to me. I
would also give it 8/10. I love the score. It is so wild and out
there!

I agree with you on Adam Sandler. Can't stand him but I thought he was
good in this film.

Now I think this film is a lot like Badlands, in that both are about
men with broken self image who fall in love and get their strength
back from the girl they fall in love with. The difference is what they
do with that power. Barry does not go killing people, but learns to
take control of his life. I actually thought he was the victim of his
sisters. They meddle in everything he does, humiliate him and so on.
No wonder the guy was a mess.

I saw the opening scene as a symbol of what was going to happen in the
film, the car crash symbolising the trouble that is coming and the
piano symbolising the love that is going to enter his life, or just
simply the girl.

I'm not sure what last scene you are talking about.

Thorkell

--
Með kærri kveðju,
Þorkell Ágúst Óttarsson

Sokkaveien 1
Drammen 3018
Norway
Tel: 00-47-32835774 & 00-47-45859097

Guillermo Garrido Lestache Vidal

Nov 18, 2010, 5:48:15 PM11/18/10
to film...@googlegroups.com
Our interpretations of the symbols are kind of similar only that you add the facto that they happen at the begining to represent what will come. I do think the pudding represents his eccentricity, pretty obvious for me.

The last scene I meant was those last seconds in which he is working with his laptop and she comes from behind and hughs him... I just don't get what is its point? Or maybe its just to tell us that he did succeed with the airline promotion and he is with her and going to fly with her around the globe?

regards,
Guillermo

> Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 11:15:09 +0100
> Subject: Re: Punch Drunk Love (2002) - P.T. Anderson Options
> From: thor...@gmail.com
> To: film...@googlegroups.com

Thorkell A. Ottarsson

Nov 18, 2010, 6:31:57 PM11/18/10
to film...@googlegroups.com
Yes I think you are right, on both points.

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 11:48 PM, Guillermo Garrido Lestache Vidal

Jake Fredel

Nov 26, 2010, 1:08:19 AM11/26/10
to film...@googlegroups.com
I really love this movie. Just watched it again in amazement. This is my second favorite romantic comedy (after Annie Hall), and it's one of the strangest and most unconventional ones ever produced. In the end, the feeling of romantic love it generates is really powerful. Adam Sandler's acting in this is amazing! It goes to show that Adam Sandler isn't just capable of stupid mainstream comedies, that he has some real dynamic and powerful acting chops down inside that unfortunately are not let out very often. Much like Burt Reynolds in Boogie Nights. Congrats to PT Anderson for thinking of Sandler's potential when casting him in this rather than what he had shown up to this point. Or he definitely would not have gotten the role, haha. This is a very potent movie though, and just because it's Anderson's shortest film doesn't mean it's his most minor. I actually like Punch-Drunk Love more than Magnolia, but it's not as much of a major achievement really. The way the movie is structured is breathtaking - it has a real dreamlike and bizarre side, but on the other hand it feels authentic and real. I think this is one of the few films which is so unique that there is no other like it. I think people should give this film more of a chance and think about what an original and honest portrayal of love this is from PTA. I hate when people are disappointed that it's not a typical Adam Sandler comedy. The laughs in it occur at the most uncomfortable moments, or those of embarrassment or awkwardness - and we can usually identify with these moments.

I agree with Thorkell, Barry is definitely a victim of his sisters. The constant onslaught from his sisters over the years has caused him to become severely trapped and socially withdrawn in his life. I always laugh at the scene when Barry is in Hawaii and talking to Rhonda on the phone: Yelling at her, "You need to stop fucking treating me like this and just give me the fucking number!!!" And immediately Anderson cuts to Barry calling Lena at her hotel, having obviously scared his sister into letting up on him. And Guillermo, in the final scene, Lena says "So here we go.." implying that Barry's frequent flyer miles have come through and they will now be able to fully commit to each other.

Great, great movie. 9/10

-Jake

Kasper Lauritzen

Dec 16, 2012, 8:14:29 PM12/16/12
to The Internet-film club
Saw this tonight. It's definitely a 8 or 9/10 - loved the score, the cinematography, the bizarre, unpredictable story and even Adam Sandler.
I don't think Magnolia left that much impact on me, but there was something very fantastic and unpleasant about this film. Thought it was even claustrophobic about it - probably due to the music too.

Must say this film convinced me of PTA's genius. Haven't seen BOOGIE NIGHTS yet (will soon) and waiting for the late January release of THE MASTER here is pure torture.

Mindy Arbo

Dec 17, 2012, 12:41:04 AM12/17/12
to film...@googlegroups.com, M
This film is one of my very few '10's. I am absolutely crazy about this film.

I agree w/ most of what is said so far, below, except for a few points.

I think Adam Sandler's film persona is very Jerry Lewis. Sweet, sappy Romantic and stupid/ infantile. But I always strongly disliked Jerry Lewis and never watched his films (same w/ Sandler) so I don't speak from a solid grounding of experience here.
The more attractive side of Barry's romantic nature (his instant falling in love and
his 100% 'together forever' loyalty/commitment --reminds me of John Cusack in Say Anything and my equally entranced reaction to Cusack.

I had never made sense out of the harmonium (not piano) and car wreck opening,
but I think thorkell's take on their symbolism - makes very good sense.

BTW, in the last scene, he is not at a laptop; he is 'playing at' (meaning attempting to play) his harmonium. She walks up from behind and hugs him. I didn't remember hearing her say something ( "Here we go"?)- I don't remember that. I just thought she was being loving and supportive of him, for the film's ending scene. My very fav moment in the film is when he tells Phil Seymour Hoffman that PSH has no idea what Sandler is
capable of -now that he has 'love in me.'

boogie nights is very good; the acting rapport is terrific. and the end scene is a killer.
 I watched some of Hard Eight- twice- but I just became bored and frustrated and never saw all of it. There Will Be Blood is a monument; fascinating and iconic and brilliant, in a way like Citizen Kane. The Master is more like TWBB , and in both of them, my empathy was not drawn to the lead characters, so they didn't hit me like PDLove and Magnolia, which both completely took my breath away.  BTW, PTAnderson said in an interview that I watched-on Charlie Rose (archived and accessible to all) that after the heavy experience of making Magnolia, he just needed something lighter, so he did PDL.

PTA is a real actors' director and, much like Elia Kazan and Scorcese, he is great at
casting actors in roles for which they do tremendously and get Oscar nominations/awards. (Look at Mark Wahlberg in Boogie Nights, Tom Cruise and Philip Seymour Hoffman in Magnolia, etc. ) He loves recognizing the brilliance and potential of an actor that has been mostly typecast- and showing the world what they are really capable of-
as in Adam Sandler.  btw, Adam is a VERY modest 'Regular Joe' and you might be surprised with his PDLove interview (with PTAnderson) on Charlie Rose.
best,
 mindy