The Marx Brothers - A Day at the Races

Thorkell A. Ottarsson

Nov 11, 2012, 8:27:40 PM11/11/12
to film...@googlegroups.com
I just saw A Day at the Races. It is very much like A Night at the
Opera. A young couple in love who need help and the "brothers" come to
the rescue. It has one of the best ballet moment I have seen in a film
and that moment has nothing to do with the story at all. See here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTDGW0aw4to

It is not a perfect film. The editing could be tighter and some of the
scenes where too long but there is just so much happiness and anarchy
that you can't help smiling.

The best line:

Dr. Hackenbush: You know, I proposed to your mother once.
Judy: But that's my father!
Dr. Hackenbush: No wonder he turned me down.

And a sad trivia. This was the last film Irving Thalberg produced
before he died, way to young.

Anyway, I will give Cocoanuts a try.

Zelia Trueb

Nov 15, 2012, 8:10:32 AM11/15/12
to film...@googlegroups.com
Yes, beautiful ballet!

Zelia

Sent from my iPad

Bobby Beksinski

Nov 20, 2012, 10:46:58 PM11/20/12
to The Internet Film Club
"A Day At The Races" is the Marx Brothers film that barely resembles a
Marx Brothers film. Well maybe not barely but it is certainly and
extremely different in style from their others. Whether its to benefit
or hindrance is up to the viewer.

For me personally I found it more boring than most Marx Brothers
comedy ventures. There is alot less anarchy and chaos and it sounds
strange to say this but unfortunately more of a plot. Which maybe its
not the fault of the plot for being in existence but rather being a
predictable and shallow plot that turned the Marx Brothers away from
their unique personas to be characters that actually fit the story. It
was so strange to see Chico play this sentimental and caring guy that
wants to help the lady who owns the hospital. And to also see Groucho
drastically toned downed and instead of slinging insults every chance
he gets, he is actually "nice" for a change. But it is a change that
does not sit well for me. Harpo is the only one who did not seem
affected by all of this at least not to their extent.

Other than that, Sam Wood's more visual style at directing the Marx
brothers that was evident in "Night At The Opera" was present here as
well but not enough to make the film any more memorable as I would
have hoped for. The dance sequences were some of the best shot and
provide some quality cinematography although personally I thought they
lasted too long. It was also funny looking up this film on IMDB to see
it was nominated for a Oscar that no longer exists and that is "Best
Dance Direction". Well I guess it would have deserved that nomination
over everything else.

So it was so, so. Entertaining in parts, the ending at the titular
races which were absent throughout most of the film was probably the
best segment but ultimately as a whole not as fulfilling. 6/10