Using the Open States API in a production server?

Alex Holachek

Apr 1, 2017, 4:13:31 PM4/1/17
to Open States
Hi,

I'm querying your API for this legislator browsing tool I built as a volunteer project for an organization called Progressive Massachusetts.
They're planning to roll it out soon -- I don't foresee it getting tons of traffic, but it might get a few hundred hits, especially in the first couple of days.

Right now the UI is talking to a node backend that queries the Open States API. I know there are no API keys right now, so my question is-- for my purposes, is it wise to depend on the Open States API for a small-scale production server? Or might there be significant down time? Should I pull down all the legislator information that I'll need, cache it, and just update it periodically?

Thanks again for your work,
Alex

James Turk

Apr 3, 2017, 2:58:43 PM4/3/17
to fifty-sta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

You should be fine, the API does hundreds of thousands of hits a day, and there haven't been any major outages w/ the exception of some geo API issues.  Long term it may make sense to cache legislator information as it does change infrequently but for your volume of use it shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks & nice work on the app, it looks pretty great.

James