Re: Tiny GP and random numbers

Message has been deleted

rp...@essex.ac.uk

May 8, 2008, 8:45:30 AM5/8/08
to Field Guide to Genetic Programming
Hi,

the TinyGP program was designed to do continuous symbolic regression.
If one replaced the arithmetic operations in the eval procedure with
Boolean functions one could also easily do Boolean induction problems.
Anything that deviates significantly from symbolic regression,
however, requires bigger changes. In particular, I don't think it is
possible to get what you are asking for just by changing some numbers
in the input file for TinyGP. Of course, nothing would prevent the
addition of a rand() function (with no arguments), but the fitness
function would definitely be changed.

I hope this helps.

Riccardo

On May 6, 12:12 pm, sanny <rs.sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hallo,
>
> i'm using java program, Tiny GP (written by Riccardo Poli), to learn
> about
> Genetic Programming.
>
> is it possible to this program using random numbers as the input
> (terminal) that will result an output with random numbers as a
> variable?
> and if it's possible, how should i write the input file?
>
> is anybody have studied this program? i really need a help.
> thanks
>
> --
>  best regards,
> Rosanny Sihombing
Message has been deleted

Nic McPhee

May 12, 2008, 9:02:42 AM5/12/08
to Field Guide to Genetic Programming
I think it would help if we knew more about the nature of your project
and what you're trying to accomplish. There have been a number of
papers on combining GP and PSOs (Riccardo and Bill being authors of
several), so it certainly can be done. Riccardo's TinyGP code is
fairly specialized for symbolic regression problems, however, and
would need non-trivial modification to work in a different domain.

Given my limited understanding of what you're trying to do, it seems
that you have a couple of options. You could try to modify TinyGP to
suit your needs. If you go this route I'd recommend carefully reading
through the description of the code in the appendix to the Field Guide
as a starting point, and try to be more specific about what your goals
are when asking questions here.

Alternatively, you could look at other, more sophisticated and general
purpose GP systems (several are listed in the resources section of the
Field Guide), and see if they are closer to what you need.

Hope this helps,

Nic