Some hurldes while building Field for Linux

Paul Jaros

Sep 7, 2012, 5:14:02 PM9/7/12
to field-de...@googlegroups.com
I've managed to build Field on several computers now. But there where some things along the way that puzzled me quiet a bit while doing so:
- The download page says: "You might want to consider building from source, especially for Linux." which hints there are alternative ways to get Field to run. But I was unable to find any other way on the page. So I guess building from source is really the only way. Pointing to that fact would be nice.
- The link points to a page which explains that one will need a IDE to build it and that Eclipse is preferred. . It should mention that in order to build from source, a ant installation is absolutely sufficient.
- Also the page says that one should remember the mentioned e-mail adresses. Uhm... why? I haven't found out yet why this particular e-mail address is important to remember in order to build the source.
- The README.md (https://github.com/OpenEndedGroup/Field) says one should clone the git-repository with "git clone g...@github.com:OpenEndedGroup/Field.git". This doesn't work. I always get a "Permission denied (publickey). fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly". It seems that I don't have read permission. I worked around by using the zip-download feature at the top of the git-hub page. Still I think this is a unnecessary chilling setup for newcomers who might be interested to help with the project.

Greets
PJ

Paul Jaros

Sep 7, 2012, 5:29:08 PM9/7/12
Am 07.09.2012 23:14, schrieb Paul Jaros:
- The README.md (https://github.com/OpenEndedGroup/Field) says one should clone the git-repository with "git clone g...@github.com:OpenEndedGroup/Field.git". This doesn't work. I always get a "Permission denied (publickey). fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly".

I tried to clone some other git repository on github. It worked flawlessly. So a error on my side of the network is pretty unlikely.
I've also found out that other repositories instruct their users differently on how to clone the repository. I've change the URL to adapt the other syntax Field like this:

git clone https://g...@github.com:OpenEndedGroup/Field.git

This doesn't work either. But I get a very different error message: "Cloning into 'Field'... fatal: http://github.com:OpenEndedGroup/Field.git/info/refs not found: did you run git update-server-info on the server?"

Maybe this might be of interest?

Cheers PJ

Marc Downie

Sep 7, 2012, 6:36:42 PM9/7/12
to field-de...@googlegroups.com

Paul,

Fixed. Fixed and Fixed.

(the git clone instructions in the README were incorrect).

many thanks,

Marc.

PJ

Paul Jaros

Sep 7, 2012, 6:51:50 PM9/7/12
Am 08.09.2012 00:36, schrieb Marc Downie:
> Fixed. Fixed and Fixed.
>
> (the git clone instructions in the README were incorrect).

Wow, cool. Now the web page is a lot better. The git command works
perfectly too.

Thanks for the update.

Cheers and good night PJ