Status of Field as an open source project?

Johan Haraldson

Apr 3, 2014, 10:07:51 AM4/3/14
to field-de...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have just came across Field and got inspired by the following video on data exploration of a dark data set:
EMPAC Reseach: A new paradigm for Interactive Exploration of Data with Live Coding

Both GitHub and the OpenEndedGroup website on Field indicates somewhat low activity, and I was just wondering about the status of Field 2014 as an Open Source Software Project?

I am keen on trying out Field as an experimental framework for quick data exploration, looking at the possibilities of using the GPU for data processing.
As part of this I thought I would try and get a good understanding of the status of the Open Source Project and its community.
Looking forward to hear more about the current work and contributions!

Best regards
Johan

Al Matthews

Apr 3, 2014, 10:43:11 AM4/3/14
to field-de...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm not meaning to answer for Open Ended Group, who sometimes get big-B busy,

But I think it's pretty much live. Traditionally it's been just Marc committing, and pretty stable all told, but lately there have been collaborators as well.

I'm planning some live coding approaches to Field in Atlanta this summer.

Al

Al Matthews - http://fatmilktv.com
Atlanta, GA, US +1 337 214 4688

Al Matthews

Apr 3, 2014, 10:43:50 AM4/3/14
to field-de...@googlegroups.com
Data viz is also of interest here.

Al Matthews - http://fatmilktv.com
Atlanta, GA, US +1 337 214 4688

Marc Downie

Apr 3, 2014, 11:05:02 AM4/3/14
to Field-development

Johan,

Field is alive and well (and open on several machines right now). But I'll be the first to admit the community is small. It's in active use in our studio and in a few other places as well, but it's never won the internet in the way that other environments have (I'm looking at you, Light Table).

But it's a good time to update those still paying attention. Thanks to some seed money from EMPAC I'm in the process of building a new version of Field (let's call it a Field 2) which ought to be publicly available on github in the next few weeks. Much has changed since the original code for Field was written, and quite a bit of it can simply be jettisoned or drastically simplified to yield a codebase that's can be hacked on by many more people. Yet at the same time, a calm and sober review of all of the existing frameworks and tools out there showed me that there still isn't anything quite like Field or Field's graphics system. I'm very optimistic about how it's turning out.

It will take a month or two to reach feature parity with the existing Field and the plan is to workshop it (and it's documentation) into existence over the summer. This will give the project a more organic, public and non-art growth process rather than being very focused on what OpenEndedGroup needs for whatever artworks we're making this year.

So, if anybody is holding onto some strong ideas of what Field 2 should look like, now would be the right month to share them.

Finally, I'm also optimistic that this Field 2 will run without too much bother on Windows. We're now strictly a Linux / Mac shop, so if anybody wants to sign on for the task of QA'ing a windows Field let me know.

Much more when I push to github.

best,

Marc.

Johan Haraldson

Apr 4, 2014, 8:57:14 AM4/4/14
to field-de...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Marc and Al,

Great news to hear about continued development of Field. I guess there are some similar ideas behind both Field and Light Table. For the work I plan to do the graphics part is quite essential. By the time the new version of Field comes out I hope I have had time to play around with the basics, perhaps I can collect some feedback on the documentation part in this process.

I am actually stuck on a computer with Windows 7 (Virtual Machine to run Ubuntu which is kind of dead end) at the moment, but not sure how much time I will have to work with Field at the moment, sort of side project to explore some ideas.

BR
Johan

Christian Hogue

Apr 3, 2014, 11:22:02 AM4/3/14