Syphon Client Example

Tom Fuerstner

Apr 30, 2011, 1:15:04 PM4/30/11
to Field-development
hi,

would really like to work with the new Syphon client within Field. but
what exactly does it mean: "Syphon servers appear as texture maps in
Field's renderer "?

how is it possible to address the GLContext of a Syphon server? Can
you please give an example?

br,

/tom_fuerstner

Marc Downie

Apr 30, 2011, 1:46:23 PM4/30/11
to field-de...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Tom Fuerstner <i.sc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> would really like to work with the new Syphon client within Field. but
> what exactly does it mean: "Syphon servers appear as texture maps in
> Field's renderer "?

Anything served up by a syphon server can appear to Field as if it was
a texture map, and enters the graphics system as such. The texture map
just happens to be updated automatically with the material "sent" from
the server.

> how is it possible to address the GLContext of a Syphon server?

Essentially OS X built in magic lets you share a (set of) GL texture /
FBO names between processes. So no data (other than an int or two) is
actually being sent anywhere, once the server has it's data on the
graphics card, any client can use that data on the graphics card for
free.

> Can
> you please give an example?

As usual, my documentation lags behind the code. For now, a test
syphon server (from their example code) and a demo sheet are attached.

Any trouble let me know,

Marc.

Simple Server.zip
helloSyphon.field.zip

Tom Fuerstner

Apr 30, 2011, 1:56:20 PM4/30/11
to field-de...@googlegroups.com
marc,

thank you very much works perfectly well and is "super simple" the very moment one knows how to do it !

/tom_fuerstner

Tom Fuerstner

-------

(c)2010  ><{{{{{{°> tom surfs along!

-------

Keep it private!  So, please use my PGP public key for important messages!