How to load the zipped tutorial files?

Paul Jaros

Sep 7, 2012, 4:22:12 AM9/7/12
to field-de...@googlegroups.com
I'm running field on my Ubuntu machine. I've successfully downloaded the source-code, compiled it with ant and found the script to run it. No big hurdles in the way there.

What I didn't manage to do is how to make field load the zipped tutorial files. My try-and-error attempts didn't succeed. I've search the FAQ, the documentation and this group. Nothing. I feel to stupid to ask this, but since I'm stuck there... please:

    How am I supposed to load the zipped tutorials from he field website?

Cheers
PJ

Marc Downie

Sep 7, 2012, 7:45:38 AM9/7/12
to field-de...@googlegroups.com

Not a stupid question at all on Ubuntu (where currently we don't have a file->open menu!)

Right now:

...../field_linux64.sh -field.scratch nameOfThingToLoad.field

That will load nameOfThingToLoad.field from your workspace (the location of which is set the first time you open Field, usually ~/Documents/FieldWorkspace)

I'll update the docs accordingly.

Thanks,

Marc.

PJ

Paul Jaros

Sep 7, 2012, 4:47:11 PM9/7/12
to field-de...@googlegroups.com
Ah. Now I managed to make it work. Those were thingsI was missing:

- "nameOfThingToLoad.field" is not meant to be a file but a directory
- "nameOfThingToLoad.field" absolutely needs to be in the folder specified on the first run + "/FieldWorkspace" (Where are those setting stored? Can I change it later on?)
- you shall not specify the full path to the folder, just "nameOfThingToLoad.field"

Now I can finally have a look at the some sample code. I've got some more questions, but I will open a new thread for those. Thanks for your help so far.

So long.
Cheers PJ

Marc Downie

Sep 7, 2012, 4:53:21 PM9/7/12
On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 3:47 PM, Paul Jaros <jaros...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ah. Now I managed to make it work. Those were thingsI was missing:

- "nameOfThingToLoad.field" is not meant to be a file but a directory

Yes. This makes more sense on OS X where the .field directory is a magic "package" that pretends to be a file.

We're working on a large change to the way that Field breaks out its "documents" into a directory structure to make them much more human readable (and version controlled by git, not hg).

- "nameOfThingToLoad.field" absolutely needs to be in the folder specified on the first run + "/FieldWorkspace" (Where are those setting stored? Can I change it later on?)
- you shall not specify the full path to the folder, just "nameOfThingToLoad.field"

Now I can finally have a look at the some sample code. I've got some more questions, but I will open a new thread for those. Thanks for your help so far.

Keep the questions coming, and file issues on github. Although we've moved almost completely from OS X to Linux for our day-to-day work, that only means that the parts of Field that we use day-to-day are well tested. There will be many rough edges.

best,

Marc.