NEWS

Boris Djatlov

Aug 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/31/97

Report from the Sat-UK mailing list:

Report #97

31st august 1997

====================================

The following may not be reproduced without written consent. Information

is subject to change and/or may be incorrect.

------

Email: dom...@bigrp.demon.co.uk . Homepage:

http://www.sat-net.com/sat-uk/

And now the news:

----------

Today is a sad day as the World sees the tragic deaths of Diana,

Princess of Wales, and Dodi Fayed. You can sign the Royal Family's guest

book to convey your condolences at http://www.royal.gov.uk/ .

Here in the UK, the two state television channels, BBC 1 and BBC 2,

began their broadcasting early today and have started simulcasting on

both frequencies to cover the tragic events of today, under the name of

BBC Television. The usual schedule has been put aside for today. Similar

programming is going ahead with ITV, the nation's third channel. Channel

4 and Channel 5 devoted extensive time this morning to the incident, but

have now gone back to regular programming.

Sky News will be giving all day coverage to the event, and Granada Talk

TV has ceased a day early, and is now simply showing Sky News with the

Granada Logo present.

Other satellite channels which were showing the events at the time of

writing include CNN International, RTL TV, n-tv, Rai Due, Bloomberg Info

TV, BBC World, BBC Prime, France 2, France 3 and TF1.

Various feeds can be found around the sky today covering the event,

including on Eutelsat II-F3: 11,163 H and Telecom 2C: 12,606 V, 12,645 V

and 12,585 H. I doubt that many DXers will be watching as avidly today.

Princess Di was an inspirational and warm lady. Our condolences go out

to the Royal Family and the family of Dodi Fayed. May they rest in

peace.

Diana, Princess of Wales

1961-1997

All contents (C) 1997 Dominic Sedghi. All rights reserved.

All The Best ! Boris.
for e-mail bo...@wremechko.msk.su

Boris Djatlov

Aug 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/31/97

Report from the Sat-UK mailing list:
Report #96
- SKY BOX OFFICE FOR MONTSERRAT
- HOTBIRD 3 COVERAGE
- INTERNAL INFORMATION
august 30th 1997

====================================
The following may not be reproduced without written consent. Information
is subject to change and/or may be incorrect.
------
Email: dom...@bigrp.demon.co.uk . Homepage:
http://www.sat-net.com/sat-uk/
And now the news:

---------- SKY BOX OFFICE FOR MONTSERRAT
(source: SATCO DX)
Between September 16 and 19, Sky will be using several transponder to
give live PPV coverage of the Montserrat Aid Concert.
Many of you may well be aware of the situation in Montserrat - the
volcano on the island is showing strong signs of eruption, and the
inhabitants need to get off the island. Britain, however, of which the
island is a dependency, is not giving much help. Thus, a concert has
been organized to raise funds.
Sky BO will be showing this concert live at the following times on the
following transponders from 16-19 September:
11,597 V (tp 26): 22-06 UK Time
10,847 V (tp 58): 20-06 UK Time
10,862 H (tp 59): 20-18 UK Time
10,876 V (tp 60): 18-06 UK Time

---------- HOTBIRD 3 COVERAGE
(source: SATCO DX)
HotBird 3 will be launched on September 2 with a launch window of
21:16-21:57 UK Time. Here is a complete list of satellites carrying the
launch:
Galaxy 4: 3,920 R
Galaxy 9: 4,140 H
Telecom 2B: 3,768 R

---------- INTERNAL INFO
Almost all of the charts at Sat-UK Web have now been updated with the
new format. Only Intelsat 601, Intelsat Star and Orion F1 remain. I'll
do them soon.
Remember Sat-UK-Tab carries all of the test files at Sat-UK Web over
each week, sent directly via email.
A request has been put in for Turksat 1C at 42 degrees east, a satellite
which is currently not covered. This is a major satellite which is
receivable from the UK and carries many analogue and clear
transmissions. If support is great enough, I'll add this to both Sat-UK
Web and Sat-UK-Tab.
The only satellites at Sat-UK Web currently not carried on Sat-UK-Tab
are Intelsat Star and Orion F1, as they carry mostly feeds. However, if
you'd like text listings of these two satellites, let me know!

Boris Djatlov

Sep 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/6/97

Спутниковые новости из Москвы, ПЕРЕРЫВ
Satellite news from Moscow, BREAK
В связи с предстоящим посещением выставки в Амстердаме (12-16 сентября),
последующим написанием статей для печатной версии журнала
TELE-Satellite International, а также начавшимися у меня с 1 сентября
занятиями в институте, я прекращаю регулярный выпуск sat-moscow
предположительно до конца октября - начала ноября. Приношу извинения за
задержку. В случае возникновения у Вас каких-либо вопросов, направляйте их
по адресу gre...@usa.net. В случае каких-либо экстремальных новостей,
разумеется, будут выходить sat-moscow special.

Читайте печатный TELE-Satellit и оставайтесь с SAT-Moscow !

DX Nickolas
компания SATCO DX Rus
журнал TELE-Satellit
Москва, Россия
***
Because of my forthcoming visit to the exhibition in Amsterdam (September
12-16, 1997), preparation of articles for TELE-Satellite International
magazine, and because of my institute studying, I have to postpone the
regular
issuing of SAT-Moscow till late October - early November 1997. Sorry for
delays. If you have any questions, drop an e-mail to gre...@usa.net. In
case of
any extremal news, sat-moscow specials, of course, will be issued.

Read the TELE-Satellite magazine and stay with SAT-Moscow !

DX Nickolas
SATCO DX Rus company
TELE-Satellit International magazine
Moscow, Russia

ВИМАИЕ !

Ориентировочно через 1-2 недели, будет закончена регистрация
Общества с ограниченной ответственностью "Сатко Диэкс Русь Лтд" -
официального представителя журнала TELE-Satellit International в России.
С момента открытия этой организации Вы можете без проблем
подписаться на журнал TELE-Satellit International в России,
оплатив подписку переводом на наш банковский счет в России по
высланному на Ваш адрес счету.
Заказать счет можно будет направив запрос на наш почтовый
адрес, или по e-mail.
Координаты обычной и электронной почты ООО "Сатко Диэкс Русь Лтд"
будут сообщены сразу после открытия.

All The Best.
Boris Djatlov.

Boris Djatlov

Sep 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/6/97

Sat-ND 97-09-01

Life is a strange thing
Just when you think you know how to use it it's gone

This service is provided free of charge for personal use. It may be used
and redistributed for non-commercial purposes only, provided the following
notice is included:
(c) Copyright by Peter C. Klanowski
http://www.lynet.de/~pck/
http://www.sat-net.com/pck/

Sat-ND is sponsored by TELE-satellite International

Satellite Charts: http://www.satcodx.com/

TODAY'S HEADLINES:

LAUNCHES
LAUNCHES MOTOROLA TESTS CHANGZHENG
ILS PLANS 20 RUSSIAN LAUNCHES
MIRACL -- KILLING ME SOFTLY
INMARSAT 3 UTILISES EUROPEAN HI-TECH
BUSINESS
THURAYA TO BORROW HALF A BILLION
DIGITAL
TOSHIBA TO CONQUER JAPANESE CARS
BUSINESS
WJML MAKES MONEY
NO MORE SATELLITE TRACKING?
CHANNELS
CABLE AND WIRELESS: NO BSKYB DEAL YET

Editorial note
As you may have noticed, I've experienced some trouble sending Sat-ND in
HTML format. Using Netscape for this obviously resulted in only HTML being
sent, even though I checked the option "HTML and Text." Bash Marc, not
Billy!
As a consequence, Sat-ND will be delivered in plain text for the time being
(a few days, I think, until I manage to get hold of the StarOffice Fixpack
2 -- just 30 MBytes.)

LAUNCHES

LAUNCHES MOTOROLA TESTS CHANGZHENG
A Chinese Changzheng (Long March) rocket, carrying two Iridium satellite
dummies owned by Motorola, was successfully launched from the Taiyuan
Satellite Launching Centre in North China's Shanxi Province.
The carrier, based upon on the Long-March-2-III was the first of its type
ever launched. The China Rocket Carrier Technology Research Institute
developed this upgraded model of the Long-March-2-III especially for
launching iridium satellites. It sent the two satellite dummies into the
preset orbit, reported China's Xinhua news agency.
The three-stage rocket carrier is 40 m in length, 3.35 m in diameter and
weighs 213 tons when launched. It has what Xinhua called "an additional
distributor to send satellites from the initial holding pattern to the
final, elliptic orbit, discharging them in succession" -- probably
something like the 'fourth stage' a.k.a. 'accelerator block' on Russian
rockets that is not really part of the rocket but payload.
It was the 47th flight of a Long March class rocket. The purpose of the
flight was to check the performance and quality of the rocket and the
Taiyuan Launching Centre, a preparatory step before the future official
launch of two Iridium satellites. Under the contract signed with Motorala,
which leads the Iridium consortium, 22 satellites will be put into orbit
over the coming few years starting later this year.
Observers noted, however, that China was depending on the three-stage,
liquid-fuelled Long March 3B, which can lift satellites weighing almost
five tonnes into high orbit, as its main vehicle for the three commercial
launches scheduled for this year.
More than 80 launches, 90 percent of which were successful, have taken
place from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Centre, according to Xinhua one of
China's major space technology bases. The centre has a variety of launch
pads and can launch short, medium and long-range rockets carrying low-,
medium- and high-orbit satellites into space. The probably most important
launch was that of weather satellite Fengyun-I aboard a Long March IV
rocket, marking China's ability to put satellites into polar orbit.

ILS PLANS 20 RUSSIAN LAUNCHES
Russia's Khrunichev space centre and Lockheed Martin of the United States
plan to carry out 20 international space launches by the year 2000, said.
Khrunichev's deputy general director Yevgeny Karachenkov. Speaking at the
2nd international aerospace congress in Moscow, he also said the company's
joint venture International Launch Services (ILS) plans to take over half
of the world's market of commercial space launches and offer full service
from making satellites to launching them.

MIRACL -- KILLING ME SOFTLY
Miracl -- apart from the fact that such a word drives any word processor's
spellchecker nuts, it sounds like a wonderful new product introduced on
"Amazing Discoveries." But it does not miraculously refresh your old car's
finish, neither will it remove stains from your carpet nor slice vegetables
in an orderly way. Maybe you can roast a chicken in half the time or even
much faster, but that's not what Miracl was created for.
Miracl is a giant laser gun, made in USA, that will destroy satellites --
or whenever possibly, just knock 'em off by gradually increasing the fire
power (probably because blowing a satellite into smithereens would create a
vast amount of debris that might endanger 'friendly' satellites as well.)
That's at least what the U.S. army wants to test this month, according to
the New York Times. The giant laser, called Mid-infrared Advanced Chemical
Laser (or Miracl for short,) is located at a White Sands Missile Range in
the New Mexico desert. An elderly air force communications satellite the
size of a fridge has been chosen as the target -- even though its
manufacturer, Spectrum Astro of Gilbert, Arizona, said it still had a
useful life. After all, it cost just US$60 million, probably much less than
the Army's wonder gun.
Miracl has been around quite a while, actually, and has been used to blow
up ground targets and rockets in flight. [Sounds just like that SDI
stuff -- I thought the U.S. had given up that nonsense?] The U.S. Army was
banned from firing at satellites until 1995, when the Republican-controlled
Congress let the ban expire. Permission to use the laser would have to come
from the U.S. secretary of defense, expectedly after conferring with the
White House.

INMARSAT 3 UTILISES EUROPEAN HI-TECH
As regular readers might be aware of; I consider Sat-ND to contain too many
U.S. news in general. Labor Day finally gives me the opportunity to bang
the drum for European space technology ;-)
One of the key objectives of European Space Agency's (ESA) internal and
external Reserach and Development is to enhance the ability of the European
space industry to compete on world markets. This effort has been
successful, for instance, in the case of the Inmarsat 3 communication
satellite series, for which European industry won the payload procurement
contract.
Matra Marconi Space has delivered five communication payloads to Lockheed
Martin for the Inmarsat 3 series of satellites, four of which have been
successfully launched since April 1996, the last on 3 June 1997 from Kourou
by an Ariane 44L launcher, (Flight 97).
These payloads generate a set of L-Band spot beams for world-wide voice and
data communication services to mobile terminals as small as pocket-size
messaging units on ships, aircraft and vehicles, using the latest spot-beam
technology providing power-efficient dynamic allocation of communication
traffic to beams and allowing greater re-use of the available spectrum.
The efficient spot-beam technology has a novel antenna front-end, invented
at the European Space Agency's technical centre, ESTEC in Noordwijk (the
Netherlands), by Dr Antoine Roederer, and licensed by ESA to Matra Marconi
Space. The new technology in effect allows an optimal power efficiency of
the communications payload, maximising channel capacity. According to
Inmarsat, the operational in-flight performance of the antenna has exceeded
expectations.
The novel semi-active antenna technology has been recognised as being
outstandingly efficient in both flexibility and power consumption, and is
being adopted world-wide for use in the next generation of geostationary
personal communication satellites.

BUSINESS

THURAYA TO BORROW HALF A BILLION
Thuraya is by no means a spectacular satellite system, so it's not quite
clear why there are so many news available. More than a dozen issues of
this so-called newsletter so far contain references to the satellite-based
mobile phone system, which is to be set up by Arab countries with the help
of Hughes Electronics.
It may be the Middle East's first mobile telephone satellite, covering
nearly 1.8 billion people in the Middle East, India, Bangladesh, Iran,
North Africa, Turkey, Italy, France, Germany and other parts of Europe. A
second satellite is planned to extend services to Thailand, Singapore, Hong
Kong, Indonesia and other countries. The US$-1.2 billion (some sources say
it's cheaper, I know ;-) system has a drawback, however, as relatively
large antennas will reportedly be needed for users' handsets.
Thuraya Satellite Telecommunications Company has now opened negotiations
with Hughes Electronics of the United States on a contract to build and
launch the two satellites. Thuraya chairman, Mohammad Omran, pointed out
that "there will be no deal before signing." He expects an agreement on
technical and contractual matters to be reached within the next few days so
that the contract can be signed on September 11 as planned.
In particular, it is yet unclear how the satellites will be put into orbit
-- aboard a European Ariane rocket, a Russian Proton or even from
SeaLaunch's ocean-going launch platform. The first launch is planned for
the first half of 2000.
At an extraordinary general assembly in Abu Dhabi, shareholders approved a
board proposal to increase Thuraya's capital from US$25 million to U$500
million. Or, less complicated: "We have decided to finance part of the
project through borrowing a maximum sum of 500 million dollars," as Omran
put it.

DIGITAL

TOSHIBA TO CONQUER JAPANESE CARS
According to Japan's leading economic daily Nihon Keizai Shimbun, a
consortium led by Toshiba Corp. will enter the digital satellite
broadcasting business as soon as by 2000.
Plans include delivery of audio and video to portable and mobile receivers;
in fact, car drivers seem to be the main target. The consortium, consisting
of Toshiba, Japan Satellite Systems Inc., four trading houses, four radio
stations and three other partners, will sell receivers for less than
Å50,000. It is hoped to have them installed in about 15 percent of all
vehicles in Japan within few years after the launch of the service that
will offer 30 to 40 channels radio and TV channels. [And still, I don't see
a general demand for TV reception in cars -- I guess most people don't have
a chauffeur and should therefore concentrate on driving.]

BUSINESS

WJML MAKES MONEY
World Media Network (WMN) has brought on its first affiliate, WJML-AM of
Petoski, Michigan, USA. (No, not Petushki, should you happen to know the
truly brilliant novel 'Moskva-Petushki' by Venedict Yerofeyev, one of the
best books published this century. No idea what the English translation is
called, if there is any; the German translation is sold under "Die Reise
nach Petuschki" [Journey to Petushki.])
World Media Network, in a nutshell, is promising affiliated radio stations
to make money from the Internet with its Radio Web service (Sat-ND,
16.7.97.) Given the number of radio stations in the U.S., it's somewhat
astonishing that there aren't more affiliates yet even though many stations
have web pages of their own.
The WJML agreement adds current news, entertainment and business classified
content features to station's Web site at http://www.wjml.com. WMN provides
specific news categories that WJML selects from a vast array of topics.
News feeds are automatically downloaded to the WMN site via satellite and
then constantly updated with the latest relevant news.
WJML makes money by banner advertising for the news feature, classified
advertising sales, and monthly subscription fees for the singles network --
another WMN service. All the bartered services are branded to the station
and are exclusive to the market.
http://www.radioweb.com/
But back to the important issues. I can't give you more links than the
following two as it's midnight local time and no single search engine is
reacting to my queries. Maybe my ISP isn't just a high-end as they claim...
<sigh>
Some quotes from Moskva-Petushki (in English):
http://www.spb.su/othr_spb/hangover.html
How to get to Petushki:
http://pavel.physics.sunysb.edu/RR/Moscow-Vladimir.html

NO MORE SATELLITE TRACKING?
You will most likely never heard of NAVASPUR, the Naval Space Surveillance
System. Based in Wichita Falls, Texas (USA,) NAVASOUR is a satellite
tracking facility run on behalf of the U.S. Navy.
According to local papers, the facility's [radar] transmitter is the most
powerful of its kind in the world, tracking thousands of satellites, and is
a backup for the country's defence system as well as a resource for
scientists. Although the transmitter is the Navy's responsibility,
day-to-day operations are overseen by Rick Montoya Services of Dahlgren,
Virginia. About 22 employees work at the Lake Kickapoo site in Wichita
Falls.
Employees now complained they have not been paid for a month, and some are
threatening to stop work -- pay checks kept bouncing again and again even
after being replaced by new ones. Company program manager Harry Witherite
said "bank problems" are to blame, and the NAVASPUR work has not been
affected. "It's not a cash-flow problem," he added. "I can tell you this
much: We're not in default of the Navy contract," he told local papers.

CHANNELS

CABLE AND WIRELESS: NO BSKYB DEAL IMMINENT
Cable and Wireless Communications, Britain's biggest cable group, dismissed
newspaper reports it had agreed in principle to use BSkyB as its
pay-per-view programme supplier. The company instead said it was still
considering options.
Newspapers reported that the cable telephone and television giant had
abandoned plans to develop its own subscription television service,
favouring a deal between CWC and BSkyB that could be announced within
weeks. Although CWC has been in discussions with BSkyB about the provision
of pay-per-view services, the company insisted that "significant issues"
remained unresolved and no agreement had yet been made.
CWC is also in talks with On Demand, a group led by cable company Telewest
Communications Plc, which wants to create a pay-per-view service to rival
BSkyB. A deal with both BSkyB and On Demand also remains a possibility.
"We're still weighing up the options and making up our minds which would be
best for customers," a CWC spokesman said.
The Financial Times reported earlier that a contract with BSkyB would
contain "limited unbundling" of the broadcaster's package of channels after
cable companies have called on BSkyB to offer its channels individually to
subscribers. The CWC spokesman said that "We'd be delighted if that was the
case. But they have yet to do that."

help
in the body of your message. Or have a look at:
* http://www.lynet.de/~pck/mailer.html
* http://www.sat-net.com/pck/mailer.html

Sat-ND 97-09-02 -- The Star Wars Revival Issue

This service is provided free of charge for personal use. It may be used
and redistributed for non-commercial purposes only, provided the following
notice is included:
(c) Copyright by Peter C. Klanowski
http://www.lynet.de/~pck/
http://www.sat-net.com/pck/

Sat-ND is sponsored by TELE-satellite International

Satellite Charts: http://www.satcodx.com/

TODAY'S HEADLINES:
MIRACL
CRITICISM GROWS
BACKGROUND
TECHNICAL DETAILS
SATELLITES
HORNY SATELLITE AT 144 DEGREES EAST
DIGITAL
LICENSE SHUFFLING
DIGITAL GOLD RUSH
TBS TO JOIN JAPAN'S PERFECTV
FEEDBACK
ASCII V/S HTML

MIRACL

CRITICISM GROWS
The U.S. Defense Department confirmed it was considering an Army request to
test fire the military's most powerful laser weapon, Miracl, at a satellite
circling Earth (Sat-ND, 1.9.97.) No decision has been made yet, DOD
officials said. Some military officials reportedly expect a permission
while others say the test may be cancelled on political grounds.
The prospect of an imminent test has provoked sceptical responses from
observers who argue that the consequences require consideration by the
government's top officials. Arms control advocates said that such tests
could backfire by setting off a race for better space weapons which in the
end would endanger U.S. satellites. Military experts say serious damage
could be done by lasers less powerful and complex than Miracl.
"I'm not sure it is in the long-term interests of the United States to
foster a race for anti-satellite systems, given that we dominate global
telecommunications with our satellite systems and with the satellites we
sell to other countries," said Brett Lambert, vice president for space and
communications at DFI International, a defence consulting concern. Really?
According to Dr John Pike, director of space policy at the Federation of
American Scientists, Miracl's major contractors are TRW Inc., Lockheed
Martin Corp. and Hughes Electronics Corp., well-known satellite
manufacturers. [Should this be true, which I somewhat doubt, you _may_ see
some logic in that. I'll leave it up to you to draw any conclusions.]
According to Pike, "Shooting a satellite is shooting ourselves in the foot.
[...] The US is extremely dependent on intelligence satellites that our
adversaries, like Iraq, could shoot down. But Iraq does not have any
satellites for us to shoot down."

BACKGROUND
Newspapers offered various theories about the motivation behind the planned
test. It seems that several systems for destroying satellites have been
developed in the U.S. but not been tested so far (as reported, those tests
were banned anyway until 1995.)
Apart from the laser-based Miracl, there are reportedly a rocket-based and
an airborne laser system, the latter favoured by the U.S. Air Force. Of
course, there's some competition between those systems.
Another reason given for the U.S. Army's move is a major war game conducted
last winter. In that 'game,' the first move made by the enemy was to attack
and destroy many commercial satellites as well as satellites of the Global
Positioning System -- a U.S. satellite system the U.S. military relies
heavily upon.
Some regard the planned laser gun test also as warning to what has been
described as "the booming new commercial market in private spy satellites."
[Examples can be found in recent Sat-ND issues although operators
euphemistically call their spacecraft 'resources satellites' or something
like that.]
For years, the United States dominated space-based reconnaissance, but now,
smaller countries and even private companies (including U.S. ones) launch
their own spy satellites, with the companies seeking to market high-quality
satellite photos. Even if they do not come close to the resolution offered
by military satellites, the pictures those spacecraft deliver have a
militarily use as they indeed allow monitoring movements of warships,
warplanes and tanks.
That's something the U.S. military does not want -- reportedly, the
anti-satellite laser is mainly targeted against enemies' orbital cameras
to keep them from spying on American weapons and troops during combat. (Of
course; it couldn't reach, for instance, geostationary satellites deployed
over Asia from U.S. territory.)
Funnily enough, the MTSI 3 (Miniature Sensor Technology Integration)
satellite, which was selected for the planned Miracl test, was to be used
for commercial Earth imaging as well once the U.S. Air Force would abandon
it.
Launched in May 1996 and circling the Earth in some 420 km height since
then, it is a remainder of the Star Wars project in tracking missiles from
space. Its imaging systems still work, and they could be used to monitor
the Earth's surface as well.

TECHNICAL DETAILS
* The estimated 3 million watts of power (the exact strength is a
classified secret) Miracl will use to kill MTSI 3 are generated by rocket
engines that burn fuel. Mirrors are used to focus this power into a narrow
beam of intense force. By the time the beam reaches the target, it would
have spread to just about 2 metres wide. MTSI 3 is about 3 metres long and
1 metre in diameter.
* Through the years, Miracl has been improved so that its beam can track
and hit satellites orbiting hundreds of kilometres overhead in space.
Uncertainties remain. For instance, it's unknown whether atmospheric
turbulence created by the hot beam will weaken its impact on a satellite
target.
* Miracl reportedly cost about US$800 million, just a trifle in comparison
to the US$440 billion spent on Ronald Reagan's Star Wars programme since
its launch in 1983. The MTSI 3 satellite cost US$60 million.

SATELLITES

HORNY SATELLITE AT 144 DEGREES EAST
The Philippines' first satellite, Agila II, is expected to take up
commercial operation in October, Mabuhay Philippines Satellite Corporation
President and Chief Executive Officer Cesar Reyes was quoted as saying by
the Philippine News Agency.
Agila II (also known as Mabuhay, NORAD 24901) was launched on August 20
from Xichang, China, and has meanwhile reached its orbital slot at 144
degrees East. After two manoeuvres, Agila II was confined its
station-keeping box and has since then deployed everything it needs for
operation, including what China's proud new agency Xinhua referred to as
"earth coverage horns." Honk honk!

DIGITAL

LICENSE SHUFFLING
The U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has to deal with some more
transponder-mongering. PrimeStar wants 11 DBS channels at 119 degrees West
currently assigned to Tempo, a unit controlled by TCI Satellite
Entertainment.
The transfer would make it possible for PrimeStar to offer high-power DBS
service from the Tempo satellite at 119 degrees West. That satellite is
currently "on-station," but has not yet been activated.
Should the application be successful, PrimeStar would control more
"full-CONUS" (Continental U.S.) DBS channels than any other licensee. Other
DBS services such as DirecTV and EchoStar have opposed the transfer.
EchoStar, which owns the other 21 channels at 119 degrees, told the FCC
that PrimeStar's request should be denied, especially if the commission
grants the 110 degree transfer.
PrimeStar is seeking control of 28 DBS channels at 110 degrees
West currently held by MCI and News Corp which have agreed to sell their
satellite assets to PrimeStar.

DIGITAL GOLD RUSH
More than just one digital DTH has announced it will cease operations, but
a company be the name of In Stat announced that it expects dramatic growth
for digital DBS (Direct Broadcast Satellite) set top boxes due to
burgeoning global demand. In 1996, the U.S. and Canada were the primary
markets for digital DBS set top boxes. [It seems the report's authors are
not really aware of the European DTH landscape where millions of those
boxes have been ordered -- admittedly, DTH providers have experienced some
difficulties to sell them.]
I will quote just as much as this of In Stat's press release, even though I
do not agree with it: "As a result of these new launches, the world-wide
market for DBS set top boxes will be the start of the digital age of
convergence technologies," said Gerry Kaufhold, Senior Analyst for
In-Stat's Multimedia Service. "The major driving force behind this
convergence will be MPEG-2 video and audio compression standards," Kaufhold
added.
If you still believe in this kind of stuff and need some comfort, email
den...@instat.com to purchase the report, or visit the company's web site
for more information:
http://www.instat.com/

TBS TO JOIN JAPAN'S PERFECTV
Japan's leading terrestrial broadcaster Tokyo Broadcasting System Inc (TBS)
plans to take an equity stake in Japanese satellite broadcasting service
PerfecTV.
TBS said in a statement that it may send some of its employees to work at
PerfecTV after following the deal while details yet had to be worked out. A
TBS spokesman said the firm's planned participation in PerfecTV was not
aimed at competing with rival Fuji.
Fuji Television Network Corp recently joined media tycoon Rupert Murdoch's
satellite broadcasting Japan Sky Broadcasting Corp (JSkyB).Recently, JSkyB
and PerfecTV agreed to use common receivers and antennas, allowing viewers
to choose from more than 200 channels to be offered by the two ventures on
a single digital platform.

FEEDBACK

ASCII V/S HTML
"Please could you send sat-nd in good old plain ASCII? (not HTML,
multi-part MIME, ...)"
(Mathias Helm)

Sure, I could. But I don't want to. [I have to right now as StarOffice
refuses to send _any_ email, and other programmes can't send HTML. Wake up,
Netscape and Microsoft! You're lamerz!] I am convinced that HTML is the
email format of the future -- within one year's time we will all be using
it and laugh about all that ridiculous formatting problems associated with
7-bit ASCII, 8-bit ASCII, quoted printable, MIME, 70- or 80-character lines
and such foolish stuff.
By the way, during the ASCII period I received far more complaints about
formatting than during the HTML period. So I'm going to switch back to
HMTL as soon as possible, of course using a dual format: HTML for
up-to-date clients and plain text for those who cannot decode HTML mail
[although I'd suggest you'd really get some decent email client. No, not
that crappy Eudora software that won't really cope with HTML.]
The bottom line is that there is no least common denominator for email
except, maybe, 7-bit ASCII. I'm not going to fall back to that -- if we all
acted like that, we'd still be living in the stone age. And frankly, I
don't wanna be neither Fred Flintstone nor Barney Rubble. In other words: I
cannot and will not guarantee that every subscriber gets Sat-ND in a format
that suits him or her. Sorry! This is a free service, so what do you
expect?
However, should a significant number of readers [a quarter or so] write in
demanding that the current non-HTML state becomes permanent, I'll
reconsider the issue :-)

Copyright (c) 1997 by Peter C. Klanowski, p...@LyNet.De. All rights
reserved.
Sat-ND, 3.9.1997 -- Morons, idiots and such

LAUNCHES

Dual launch for Europe
The European launch provider Arianespace successfully put into orbit=20=

two European-built satellites for two major European organisations:=20
the Hot Bird 3 TV direct broadcast satellite (DBS) for Eutelsat, and=20=

the Meteosat 7 weather satellite for Eumetsat.
Flight 99 was carried out by an Ariane 44LP, the version of the=20
European launcher with two solid and two liquid-propellant boosters.=20=

It used the 70th Ariane 4 out of the total of 96 ordered from the=20
European space industry.
Hot Bird-3 is the tenth satellite launched by Arianespace out of the=20=

total of fourteen that Eutelsat has entrusted to the European=20
launcher. Built by Matra Marconi Space in Toulouse, France, this=20
latest Hot Bird completes the family of second-generation Eutelsat=20
satellites. Positioned at 13 East, over Africa, it will provide=20
digital or analogue direct broadcasting of TV programmes for all=20
European countries. Hot Bird 3 weighed 2,915 kg at launch and is=20
equipped with 20 Ku-band transponders. The cost of the spacecraft=20
including launch and insurance exceeded US$250 million.
Meteosat 7, the sixth Meteosat satellite launched by Arianespace, cost=20=

US$150 million (launch included) and will provide meteorological data=20=

and images through 2002. Built by Aerospatiale at Cannes, France,=20
Meteosat 7 weighed 915 kg at launch. It operates in the visible,=20
infrared and "water vapour" bands, and is equipped with an S-band and=20=

a UHF-band transponder. Positioned at 0 degrees, it will cover Europe,=20=

Africa, the Middle East, the Atlantic and part of South America.
Eumetsat Director Tillman Mohr was quoted as saying: "Our first task=20=

and objective is to provide observation from space to our European=20
member-state user community. But the user community is much wider. If=20=

you look at a Meteosat image, at the centre of the image you will see=20=

Africa, because we are part of a larger global organisation which is=20=

led by the World Meteorological Organisation." Maybe -- but the true=20=

reason is that positioning a geostationary satellite over Europe (and=20=

not the equator) is simply impossible.
The next Ariane launch, Flight 100, is scheduled for September 23. An=20=

Ariane 42L will be used to place into orbit Intelsat 803, the=20
sixteenth satellite entrusted to the European launcher by the=20
International Telecommunications Satellite Organisation, Intelsat.=20
Following Flight 99, Arianespace has 44 satellites on order to be=20
launched.

DELAY OF THE DAY

Low pressure hampers GE-3 launch
The launch of AC-146 from Cape Canaveral Air Station, an Atlas IIAS=20
vehicle carrying the GE Americom GE-3 satellite, has been re-scheduled=20=

for September 4 during a window running from 8:03 a.m. to 8:28 a.m.=20
ET.
Today's two launch attempts had to be scrubbed owing to low=20
pressurisation readings in the liquid oxygen tank. The weather=20
forecast for tomorrow says there's just a 60-percent chance of having=20=

acceptable launch conditions. Coverage of the launch, if any, will=20
again be on GE-1/13, beginning at 7:30 a.m. ET.

MALFUNCTIONING SATELLITES

Mexican satellite switched off
The first indigenous Mexican satellite, Unamsat-2, has developed=20
malfunctions almost exactly one year after its launch aboard a Russian=20=

Kosmos 3-M vehicle.
Speaking to Itar-Tass, Project Director Gianfranco Bislacci said that=20=

so far unexplained malfunctions occurred in the power supply system=20
for the spacecraft's communications devices. In order to save battery=20=

power, mission controllers decided to interrupt the contact with the=20=

spacecraft until the cause of the malfunction was known and counter=20
measures could be taken.
Unamsat-2, a 10.7-kg scientific satellite designed and built by=20
Mexico's National Autonomous University, was put into orbit on=20
September 15, 1996.

Lewis still spinning, without power
Ground controllers have made no progress in saving the $65 million=20
mission experimental Earth-observation satellite Lewis since it=20
started spinning for unknown reasons a week ago.
Engineers still hope the sun angle will improve over the next few=20
days, enabling the solar panels to collect enough energy to recharge=20=

the batteries and re-establish communications with the spacecraft.=20
Lewis had shut off automatically when power levels fell below a=20
critical point. [It may sound ironica that Lewis was actually designed=20=

to demonstrate autonomous operations =96 one of about 40 new=20
technologies incorporated into the mission.]
NASA Officials are to hold a review meeting on Wednesday afternoon.=20
The ultimate cause for the satellite's malfunction, believed to have=20=

been caused by excessive thruster firing, apparently are not yet=20
known.

SATELLITES

Planet 1 globally available
Comsat Personal Communications announced global coverage for Planet 1,=20=

a personal communications service that uses portable, notebook-sized=20=

satellite telephones to provide voice, fax and data communications=20
from virtually anywhere in the world.
Comsat's Planet 1 was the first personal satellite telephone system to=20=

begin commercial service. It is carried over four Inmarsat-3=20
geostationary satellites which cover the earth (except for the extreme=20=

polar regions,) combined with Comsat's land earth stations. Utilising=20=

the high-powered spot beams on the new generation Inmarsat satellites,=20=

Planet 1 personal satellite phones are smaller, lighter and easier to=20=

use than previous mobile satellite equipment. According to Comsat, the=20=

service is also less expensive because the spot beam technology allows=20=

for transmission of multiple calls over fewer satellite circuits.=20
[However, the Inmarsat spotbeams =96 as the name implies =96 cover just =

some areas of interest, probably in densely populated and/or=20
industrial regions.]

DIGITAL

DirecTV: consumer fraud?
U.S. DBS service DirecTV, a unit of General Motor's Hughes Electronics=20=

subsidiary, is being investigated as a result of consumer complaints=20=

over channel changes in certain presold packages.
According to the Wall Street Journal DireTV is suspected of committing=20=

consumer fraud by removing some channels from its packages and then=20
selling them at a higher rate.
As part of a rebate program, customers bought dishes and a year's=20
programming that included seven Encore movie channels. In April,=20
however, DirecTV removed the Encore channels form its Total Choice=20
package, tacking on an extra US$4 for them.=20
DirecTV says the channels were replaced by others, and there have been=20=

no widespread complaints anyway. [Emphasis on 'widespread' =96 so there =

have been some complaints, I suppose.]

MSNBC's German problems
German pubcaster ZDF, which runs a nation-wide TV network, felt the=20
need to show some Internet presence albeit lacking staff as well as=20
know-how. So, they joined forces with MSNBC.com.
Both could have happily lived ever after with their site at=20
http://www.zdf.msnbc.de/=20
were there not some morons working for or paid by the country's=20
commercials channels, claiming ZDF was misusing what they call the=20
network's "privileged position."
MSNBC.com director of public affairs, Debby Fry Wilson, was quoted as=20=

saying that she had not been aware of this development. She pointed=20
out that ZDF.MSNBC as an online property does not pose a threat to the=20=

country's traditional news media. [Of course not!] "It doesn't compete=20=

directly with print or TV," she explained. "You have to compare apples=20=

to apples."
As a matter of fact, the outcry of commercial broadcasters in Germany=20=

every time their public competitors offer new services is nothing but=20=

a ritual. Maybe the country's commercial broadcasters should put their=20=

efforts into improving their programming, which is probably among the=20=

worst that can be found anywhere in the world, and keep their nose out=20=

of other channels' business for a change.

MTV Europe to launch Web site
And then there was MTV Europe, a channel that decided to get rid of=20
most of its satellite viewers in Europe by scrambling its signal.=20
German music channels, and not only them, still thank MTV for that=20
move.
Maybe MTV is carried in cable networks, also on Germany, and maybe its=20=

available as part of some analogue or digital (pay-)TV bouquets.=20
Anyway, MTV Europe disappeared from the TV screens of many Europeans=20=

and hardly be called a trend-setter anymore.
So, it's utterly irrelevant that MTV Europe plans to launch a Web site=20=

for the idiots that really pay for the European version(s) of the=20
channel. MTV, part of Viacom Inc, said it expects the Web site to=20
appeal to =96 viewers? Web surfers? No way! It expects the site to=20
appeal to "both its existing television sponsors and advertisers as=20
well as to attract new advertisers." Okay, just go along and play with=20=

yourself. This is so boring that I won't even mention the URL=20
(although you should have no difficulty in guessing it.)

BUSINESS

Disney's ESPN buys Classic Sports
ESPN Inc. has reached an agreement to acquire Classic Sports Network.=20=

Subject to regulatory review and approval, the transaction is expected=20=

to be completed within two months.
Classic Sports Network will become a wholly owned subsidiary of U.S.=20=

sports channel ESPN. The network, originating from New York City=20
studios, offers archival and original programming from all of the=20
major [U.S.] sports leagues, and includes exclusive rights to the=20
world's largest library of boxing films. Classic Sports was launched=20=

in May 1995 and is currently available to more than 10 million cable=20=

and satellite homes.#
ESPN is 80 percent owned by ABC Inc., which is an indirect subsidiary=20=

of The Walt Disney Company. The Hearst Corporation holds the remaining=20=

20 percent interest in ESPN. ESPN's family of networks includes ESPN,=20=

ESPN2, ESPNEWS, ESPN Radio, and ownership or interest in 20=20
international networks (among them Eurosport) in 20 languages.=20

FEEDBACK

ASCII v/s HTML
So far, 0.4 percent of my subscribers have urged my to switch back to=20=

ASCII. Not exactly the 25 percent I wanted in order to reconsider the=20=

format issue... but I'm patient. Keep on writing.
I'm not going to answer any particular email, but here a few points=20
that my well-beloved readers may want to take into account.
HTML takes longer to download
True. The average size of Sat-ND in HTML (acually HTML and plain text=20=

in one message) is around 30..60 KBytes.
But have you ever wondered how large an average Web Site page is, with=20=

all those glitzy graphics and flashy stuff? I downloaded some of them=20=

this afternoon. The results, java applets not included:
http://www.netscape.com/ at least 57289 bytes
http://www.microsoft.com/ at least 72074 bytes
http://cnn.com at least 92592 bytes
http://www.msnbc.com/ at least 78662 bytes
http://www.icok.net/~brian/ at least 73822 bytes
Sat-ND usually is smaller than that. By the way, I suggest you visit=20=

the latter URL which is more fun than the four others.

Me, me, me
Some guy whose name I will not mention wrote in from a German=20
university's computing centre, accusing me of being "selfish" True=20
again! Sat-ND is a nothing but a giant ego-trip. You can tell that=20
from the fact that readers don't have to pay anything for this service=20=

=96 it does not even contain any advertisements! Shocking! What could be=
=20
more selfish and egocentric than that?
The same bloke accused me of congesting the Internet by sending out=20
'dual' versions of Sat-ND (text and HTML) =96 a look at the total sizes =

of Web pages, as shown above, should teach him better. They get more=20=

hits within a minute than I have subscribers.
He also told me that "some people might use computer systems where a=20=

so called 'decent' email client isn't even available (for example unix=20=

systems.)" Blimey, I thought those systems were so superior to Windows=20=

95 that reportedly crashes every five minutes (funnily enough, not on=20=

my computer?)
He finally asked. "You are you to decide what email software people=20
should use?" YES! ...as long as they want to receive Sat-ND in the way=20=

its author intends it to look like.
This guy seems to have a bit of a misconception what this is all=20
about. It is a free service. You don't have to pay for it. I do not=20
want to sell you anything, and as a consequence I do not intend to=20
reach as many readers as possible. I do not even want to convince you=20=

of anything. You can unsubscribe any time you like. All I want to do=20=

is offer a service I myself would subscribe to =96 that's my motivation.=
=20
If you don't like it, just piss off!

Copyright 09/97 by Peter C. Klanowski, p...@LyNet.De. All rights=20
reserved.

For information on how to subscribe or unsubscribe, send Email to=20
Majo...@tags1.dn.net (not to me, please) and include the line
help
in the body of your message.=20
Or have a look at
http://www.lynet.de/~pck/mailer.html
http://www.sat-net.com/pck/mailer.html

Boris Djatlov

Sep 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/6/97

Report from the Sat-UK mailing list:
Report #98
- CHANNELS GONE
1st september 1997

====================================
---------------------------------------

Email: dom...@bigrp.demon.co.uk . Homepage:
http://www.sat-net.com/sat-uk/
And now the news:

---------- CHANNELS GONE
Sadness for many people today and an array of channels have been
withdrawn from satellite television completely. September 1st has always
been a day notorious for channels changes. Here's just a few:

On Astra, Sky have implemented many changes. Although not confirmed, Sky
2 should be replaced by the National Geographic Channel this evening.
I'll confirm this tomorrow. CCE (The Christian Channel Europe), Sky
Soap, Sky Travel, The History Channel and The Sci-Fi Channel have all
left 11,171 H (tp 47), as Sky Sports 2 expands to an all-day service.
Sky Soap, The History Channel, The Sci-Fi Channel and CCE have all
started broadcasting on 11,568 V (tp 24), whilst Sky Travel has begun on
11,127 V (tp 44), broadcasting after Galavision, alongside Sky Movies
Gold, which has left 10,877 V (tp 60), making way for the Racing
Channel's new extended broadcasting times. Granada Talk TV has also
ceased on 10,862 H (tp 59), with only a memorial card for Princess Diana
being displayed now.

The Nordic scene has also changed considerably: BBC Prime has, as
expected, left its old frequency of 11,133 V on Intelsat 707, as has
Radio 2 Danmark. They can now be received on its new frequency of 11,679
H, formerly occupied by MTV Europe, which itself is now broadcasting
from Thor II. All transmissions of Filmnet have now ceased - the channel
which has been the ultimate Godsend for all British satellite
enthusiasts is now gone. Filmnet 2 Nordic on Thor, 12,015 R has been
replaced by new channel Canal+ Gul; Filmnet 1 on the same satellite,
12,092 R has been replaced by Canal+ Sverige. On Thor II, Filmnet 1
Nordic on 11,261 H has been replaced by Canal+ Danmark, and on 11,291H
has been replaced by Canal+ Norge. All Canal+ channels seem to be using
the same codes as Filmnet 1 Nordic was.

The French have only suffered a minor loss, as LCI - La Chaine Info, has
departed from Telecom 2B, 12,585 H (tp R8). It was previously
broadcasting encrypted in nagravision/syster, but can now only be
received digitally from Astra as a part of the Canal Satellite Numerique
package. A promotional for CSN is now being shown on 12,585 H.

Feeds are still going strong today - Telecom 2D has finally found its
footing as a feeds satellite, and Telecom 2C seems to be being used more
and more for feeds. Viewers who used to enjoy spying on Bundesliga feeds
on Kopernikus 3 are in for some bad luck - the satellite has now gone
100% digital - no analogue transmissions of any kind remain on this
satellite.

So just to de-confuse you, here's those changes in full:

ASTRA
11,303 H: National Geographic Channel replaced Sky 2
11,568 V: CCE, Sky Soap, History Channel and Sci-Fi Channel begun
11,127 V: Sky Travel and Sky Movies Gold begun
11,171 H: CCE, Sky Soap, History Channel, Sci-Fi Channel, Sky Soap left
10,862 H: Granada Talk TV left
10,877 V: Sky Movies Gold left

INTELSAT 707
11,133 V: BBC Prime and Radio 2 Danmark left

THOR
12,015 R: Canal+ Gul replaced Filmnet 2 Nordic
12,092 R: Canal+ Sverige replaced Filmnet 1 Nordic

THOR II
11,261 H: Canal+ Danmark replaced Filmnet 1 Nordic
11,291 H: Canal+ Norge replaced Filmnet 1 Nordic

TELECOM 2B
12,585 H: CSN Promo replaced LCI

Obviously these won't be all the changes which have occurred - I will
have missed lots or been unable to view them. I'll complete the changes
list tomorrow.

All contents (C) 1997 Dominic Sedghi. All rights reserved.

Report from the Sat-UK mailing list:
Report #99
- MORE UPDATES
2nd september 1997

---------- MORE UPDATES
As exptected, the National Geopgraphic Channel did replace Sky Two on
11,303 (tp 7) on Astra 1A. The teletext service has changed from SKY TWO
to Sky Text.
On Thor yesterday, CNN International left its old transponder of 11,785
R, and promos for Sky News and Geographic Channel have started on 11,773
R.

On Intelsat 707 TODAY, DR 2 has been replaced by a test card, entitled
"NSkyB 2". This will be the future transponder of Sky Entertainment. DR
2 is scheduled to move to Thor on 11,667 R.

CORRECTION: Yesterday I stated that LCI could now only be received from
Astra at 19,2=B0 east. It can also be received from Eutelsat at 13=B0 eas=
t,
as is listed in the charts. Thanx to a subscriber for pointing this out.

Eutelsat HotBird 3 is scheduled to launch tonight. Same launch window.

All contents (C) 1997 Dominic Sedghi. All rights reserved.

Report from the Sat-UK mailing list:

Report #100
- SKY PPV
- ASTRAVISION
- EUROSPORT
3rd september 1997

--------------

Email: dom...@bigrp.demon.co.uk . Homepage:
http://www.sat-net.com/sat-uk/
And now the news:

Well, Sat-UK has managed to make it to report #100, something which a
lot of past mailing lists have not yet achieved, or failed to do. Let's
hope the future is as prospective!

---------- SKY PPV
Sky will be showing a couple of big PPV events in the near future. They
will both be broadcast on Astra 1D transponder 60, after Sky Movies
Gold.
The first will be on September 16, and will feature the aid concert for
Monserrat, entitled "Music for Montserrat". The price will be, according
to Sky, an initial price of =A34.95, and then a late purchase price of
=A36.95. Apparently, a large proportion of the PPV money will go towards
the Montserrat aid fund.
The second will be the WWF live event from the NEC on September 20,
which has not happened now for a few years. The price of this event is
as of yet unknown.

---------- ASTRAVISION
As some of you may have noticed, the AstraVision promotional on Astra 1D
transponder 57 has ceased. However, to a lot of people, what has
replaced it is unclear. It is, in fact, Sky News (!), but in digital
form. Sky News is broadcasting in MPEG-2/clear, with the parameters
SR20000, FEC3/4, and the PIDs V0200-A0280. All those with Nokia
Mediamasters will be able to catch it.

---------- EUROSPORT
Finally, all those people who liked catching EuroSport from Thor (even
though it's receivable from Astra and Eutelsat!), will be unable to tune
in for free from now on. EuroSport has reverted back to its encrypted
signal in eurocrypt m/s2.

Boris Djatlov

Sep 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/6/97

TELE-satellit News, 1 September 1997

ExpressVu Plans DTH Launch
OTTAWA, Canada, 97/09/01 (SatND) -- ExpressVu Inc. will introduce its
direct-to-home (DTH) satellite service to Canadian television viewers on
September 10th. The company will launch with 55 digital video channels in
the east, 37 in the west, plus more than 30 music channels, and will offer
six additional Canadian and U.S. speciality channels in each region when
they are available in mid-October.

ExpressVu said it had the satellite capacity to offer additional channels
and was currently reviewing programming options. The company expects to
expand its program line-up to approximately 70 video channels in the east
and 50 in the west by early 1998. In the fourth quarter of 1998, following
the move to its high powered DBS satellite, ExpressVu will offer more than
200 digital video, music and information channels. The move to DBS will
make ExpressVu one of North America's largest multichannel television
services, and larger than all other cable or DTH services in Canada.

ExpressVu said it will have 60,000 set-top boxes and dishes in retail
distribution across Canada from launch through to December, and will
introduce additional set-top models at the end of 1997. The brand name
"Dish Network System" indicates where it all comes from: EchoStar of the U.S.

By: Peter Klanowski
Source: Sat-ND

(c)TELE-satellit 1997. All rights reserved.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 13:37:10 +0900
From: owner-...@tele-satellite.com
Subject: TS News - Ariane Launches Two Satellites

TELE-satellit News, 3 September 1997

Ariane Launches Two Satellites
TOKYO, JAPAN, 97/09/03 (TS) -- Arianespace has successfully launched the
Hot Bird 3 and Meteosat 7 satellites for Eutelsat and Eumetsat. The launch
took place at 7:21pm local time (6:21pm EDT, 2221 UTC) from the Kourou
launch center. Flight 99 was carried out by an ARIANE 44LP, the version of
the European launcher with two solid and two liquid-propellant boosters.

Hot Bird 3 was built by Matra Marconi Space in Toulouse and will be
positioned at the 13 degrees East orbital location over Africa, it will
provide digital or analog direct broadcasting of TV programs for all
European countries. Meteosat 7, the sixth Meteosat series satellite to be
launched by Ariane, will provide service for meteorological data and images
through 2002. It is equipped with one S-band and one UHF-band transponder.
Positioned at 0 degrees over the Gulf of Guinea, it will cover Europe,

Africa, the Middle East, the Atlantic and part of South America.

The next launch, Flight 100, is scheduled for Sept. 23 when Intelsat 803
will be launched.

Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 13:48:25 +0900
From: owner-...@tele-satellite.com
Subject: TS News - Fuji, TBS Take Digital TV Stakes

TELE-satellit News, 3 September 1997

Fuji, TBS Take Digital TV Stakes
TOKYO, Japan, 1997/09/03 (TS) -- Japan's impending digital satellite TV
war is drawing in the major commercial broadcasters. Tokyo Broadcasting
System (TBS) has announced it will take a 10 percent stake in PerfecTV, the
only current digital satelllite broadcaster. A few days ago, Fuji
Television bought a 25 percent stake in JSkyB, a joint venture between News
Corp, Softbank and Sony.

PerfecTV began broadcasting in late 1996. DirecTV Japan plans to begin
its service in December 1997 and will be joined by JSkyB in spring 1998.

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 22:47:12 +0900
From: owner-...@tele-satellite.com
Subject: TS News - GE-3 Launched

TELE-satellit News, 5 September 1997

GE-3 Launched
CAPE CANAVERAL, USA, 97/09/05 (TS) -- A Lockheed Martin Astronautics
Atlas IIAS rocket successfully launched the GE-3 commercial communications
satellite into supersynchronous transfer orbit on Thursday from Complex 36,
Pad A, at Cape Canaveral Air Station (CCAS), Fla. Liftoff occurred right on
time at 8:03 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time. It was the fifth successful Atlas
launch of 1997 from CCAS and the thirty-second consecutive successful
flight for Atlas.

Once in final orbit at 87 degrees west, GE-3 will join the rest of GE
American Communication's (GE Americom) commercial domestic satellite fleet
and provide educational cable television, broadcast television and radio,
private business and government communications services to the 50 U.S.
states and Alaska. GE-3 is the third A2100A satellite built by Lockheed
Martin for GE Americom.

(c)TELE-satellit 1997. All rights reserved.

------------------------------

End of ts-news-digest V1 #48
****************************

Boris Djatlov

Sep 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/6/97

SAT-ITALY - EDITION 32/97 - September 5th 1997 -
Italian Satellite and Media news edited by Branislav Pekic

RAI SAT
>From September 29th, RAI's three new thematic channels are due to start
broadcasting. They will be transmitted via the EUTELSAT HOT BIRD 2
satellite (13 degrees East) on the frequency of 11.804 GHz/Ver. All three
channels will be transmitted in the clear, ie. will not be scrambled so
that viewers all over Europe with the necessary receiving equipment (a
satellite dish, universal LNB and digital receiver) will be able to tune
in. According to estimates, there are around 80,000 households in Italy who
will be able to receive the channels from day one. There is a huge
potential audience since there are more than one million households with an
analog reception system who could upgrade to digital.
The first three thematic channels are to be called RaiSat 1, RaiSat 2 and
RaiSat 3 and during 1998 three more channels will be launched: RaiSat 4
(news), RaiSat 5 (sports) and RaiSat 6 (multi-ethnic service). RAI plans to
invest around 100 billion lire (around 100 million DEM) to launch the new
services. The director of thematic channels, Carlo Sartori is optimistic
about the future of digital TV in Italy and thinks that RAI should be in
the forefront in this area. There will be no advertising on the channels
and since audience ratings will not matter, there will be a lot of space
for experimenting with programming
The electronics company Italtel will produce the digital satellite
receivers (with two card readers) needed to receive the RAISat channels.
They will be sold under the brand names Seleco Italtel Multimedia, Fracarro
and Echostar.=20

RaiSat 1 - This will be a channel devoted to cultural and arts programming.
It will transmit 6 hours a day, but the programs will be repeated 4 times
daily. There will be no on-air presenters. Every day, an hour of
programming will be devoted to a cultural magazine, three nights a week
will be thematic nights devoted to one subject. Co-production agreements
have already been signed with Channel Four, Arte and The History Channel.
RaiSat 1 will air the 13-part NVC/Arts program about the world of music
"Rough Guide". According to Sartori, every year three major Italian events
will be realized with foreign partners and will be transmitted all over the
world.
There will also be movies, but they will be transmitted as part of a
retrospective devoted to a featured artist (for example Kurosawa's movies,
Rossellini's movies, etc.). At the end of each days broadcasting, a
documentary program called "Radici" will trace the 40-year history of
Italian television. Weekends will be special days, with Saturdays devoted
to arts programs, in conjunction with the Franco-German channel Arte and on
Sundays there will be history programs, in cooperation with The History
Channel.
The first major event to be transmitted in exclusive by RaiSat 1 will be
the opera "Carmina Burana" directed by Zubin Mehta on October 3rd.
RaiSat 2 - It will be the first Italian channel devoted to children. In
the early morning it will transmit programs for the pre-school children,
afternoons and evenings for children aged 6-11 and at night for adolescents
aged between 11-14. RaiSat 2 is in fact a joint-venture between RAI and
U.S. based childrens network Nickelodeon.
Programs for the youngest viewers will last at the most two hours while the
afternoon and evening slot will be one hour longer. There will be a daily
computer magazine as well as several TV series. Among them are "Star Trek
Voyager", "Catwalk" and "The one" which will be aired exclusively.=20
RaiSat 3 - This will be an educational channel primarily aimed at
schoolchildren. It will transmit daily two blocks of programs, the first
one from 14:00-19:00 h. will be aimed at schools. Part of the programming
will be on demand, ie. the schools connected will have at their disposition
a catalogue of programs from which students will be able to choose what to
watch.
- Dal 29 settembre cominciano le trasmissioni dei nuovi canali RAI via
satellite. I primi tre canali sono: RaiSat 1 (cultura), RaiSat 2 (per
bambini) e RaiSat 3 (per scuole). Altri tre sono annunciati per i primi
mesi del prossimo anno: RaiSat 4 (notizie), RaiSat 5 (sport) e RaiSat 6
(programmi multietnici). I nuovi canali RAI transmetterano in digitale (in
chiaro) e potranno essere visti da tutti che posseggono un antenna
parabolica e un ricevitore digitale. D'accordo con le previsioni, in Italia
esistono intorno 80,000 famiglie attrezate, mentre sono gi=E0 pi=F9 di un
milione le antenne paraboliche installate.
RaiSat 1 offrir=E0 ogni giorno un palinsesto di 6 ore ripetuto quattro volte=
.
Sono gia siglati i accordi per coproduzioni con Channel Four, Arte e
History Channel. RaiSat 2 emmeter=E0 programmi per bambini in et=E0 prescola=
re
(al mattino), per bambini nella fascia di 6-11 anni (pomeriggio e
preserale) e adolescenti (di sera). E gia stato siglato un accordo
esclusivo con il canale americano Nickelodeon che fornir=E0 parte della
programmazione. RaiSat 3 trasmetter=E0 ogni giorno, due blocchi di programmi
- il primo durer=E0 cinque ore (dalle 14 alle 19) e l'altro sar=E0 a richies=
ta
(gli studenti potranno chiedere cosa vedere).
Italtel produrra' i ricevitori digitali che saranno commercializzati con i
marchi Seleco Italtel Multimedia, Fracarro, Ecostar. Gli apparati saranno
dotati di due lettori di carte magnetiche.=20

ITALIAN BISHOPS CHANNEL IN TELEPIU PACKAGE
The Italian Bishops Conference (CEI) is going ahead with it's plans to
launch a religious satellite channel. The new channel which has not yet got
a name is due to start regular broadcasts this Christmas. It will however
make it's debut in Bologna from September 20-28th when an important meeting
of Italian bishops will take place. The first important posts have already
been assigned: the famous director Pupi Avati will be the supervisor of the
new service while Emmanuele Milano, ex-RAI and TMC will also have an
important role yet to be definied.
The CEI has already formed a special organization (the Foundation for
communication and culture) in charge of supervising the television
activities of the Italian church. The foundation will have at it's disposal
a budget of more than 20 billion lire (around 20 million DEM). Initially,
the new channel will broadcast 3 hours a day, although it's unclear at this
moment if any publicity will be allowed on the channel. It will be
broadcast in digital mode and unscrambled as part of Telepiu's digital
platform.=20
The programs of the CEI channel will also be carried by the Vatican-based
satellite TV channel Telepace and it is expected that the more than 100
religious TV stations throughout Italy will also rebroadcast the
programming. The CEI channel will probably merge with the existing news
agency News Press which has, for the past few years, been providing a daily
satellite news feed called Ecclesia for 108 local TV stations and 180 radio
stations of Catholic inspiration.=20
The Italian bishops decided to enter the television broadcasting field back
in November 1996 at their annual meeting in Collevalenza.
- La TV della CEI (Conferenza Episcopale Italiana) dovrebbe cominciare a
trasmettere questo Natale, per=F2 esordir=E0 a Bologna, in occasione del
Convegno Eucaristico Nazionale in programma dal 20 al 28 settembre. La
Fondazione comunicazione e cultura avr=E0 il compito di supervisionare le
attivit=E0 televisive della CEI. Inizialmente, il nuovo canale CEI
trasmetter=E0 una fascia di tre ore quotidiane tramite il bouquet digitale d=
Telepiu. Saranno oltre 100 le TV locali di ispirazione cattolica che
riprenderanno la programmazione.

ALL NEW AT TELEPIU
As we announced last week, as of September 1st lots of changes have been
taking place at the Italian pay-TV network Telepiu. First of all the
channels have changed names - Telepiu 1 has become Telepiu Nero and Telepiu
2 has become Telepiu Bianco. The third channel, Telepiu 3 which is set to
close on December 31st has become a promo service for the two premium
channels as well as for Telepiu's digital package D+ (previously called
Telepiu Satellite).
Telepiu Nero now offers a mix of movies and sports (including live Serie A
football Sunday nights at 20:30h.), TV series, documentaries, magazines and
a bit of soft-core programming. Telepiu Bianco now shows movies and TV
series already broadcast on the first channel. Telepiu Nero will have a
daily block of unscrambled programs (ie. transmitted in the clear), from
Monday to Friday 19:00-21:00 h.=20
Subscribers will be able to see during this month several movie premieres
including "Striptease" and "Apollo 13". Other highlights include new nature
documentaries from National Geographic TV and a movie magazine. The cost
for subscribing to Telepiu's premium channels is 53,000 lire a month
(around 53 DEM).
- Molti cambiamenti a Telepi=F9 a partire di questo mese. Telepi=F9 Nero che=
ha
sostituito Telepi=F9 1 ora trasmette il meglio dei film, dello sport
(compreso la partita di Serie A domenica sera), serie televisive e
magazines. Telepi=F9 Bianco (ex- Telepi=F9 2) emmeter=E0 dei film e serie TV=
che
gi=E0 sono andati in onda sulla prima rete. Telepi=F9 3 allora proponne una
vetrina della offerta Telepi=F9 fino al 31 dicembre prossimo quando sparir=
=E0
delle onde terrestri.
Telepi=F9 Nero ha una fascia di programmazione in chiaro, visibile a tutti,
dal lunedi al venerdi, tra le 19:00 e le 21:00. L' abbonamento per le due
reti "premium" fa 53 mila lire al mese.

DIGITAL RECEIVERS ON LEASE TO SUBSCRIBERS
Together with the start of the new Italian football season on August 31st,
Telepiu has finally started it's long awaited project of leasing the costly
digital receivers for new subscribers. One year ago, viewers who wanted to
subscribe to the whole Telepiucalcio package (all games of their favourite
football team in Serie A) had to pay around 2,500,000 lire (around 2,500
DEM), while this year the cost has fallen below one million lire (around
1,000 DEM). This has been made possible thanks to the offer of leasing the
digital receivers which currently cost on average 1,700,000 lire (around
1,700 DEM) at the price of 15,000 lire a month (around 15 DEM).
Another important change is that bars and restaurants will not be able any
more to take out a subscription to the Telepiucalcio service. Those already
subscribed will be offered one more year but at a double cost. In the past
year, it has emerged that several bars have sold hundreds of viewing seats
to customers. According to Mario Rasini, CEO of Telepiu in one case live
games were showed in a cinema were more than 800 people paid the
proprietors to watch them.
And now a bit more details about the subscription costs. Viewers who want
to subscribe to watch all games of their favourite team will have to pay
786,000 lire (786 DEM) for the subscription and one years lease of the
receiver, 99,000 lire (99 DEM) deposit and this sum will be returned at the
end of the contract period and 51,000 lire for activating the service (51
DEM). The cost of the satellite dish and the installation are not included
but the minimum price is around 400,000 lire (400 DEM). For viewers who
chose only to watch the away games of their favourite team, the
subscription will cost 528,000 lire (528 DEM).
- Grazie al noleggio del ricevitore digitale, il prezzo per abonnarsi alle
partite della squadra preferita =E8 sceso da due milioni e mezzo di lire
(l'anno scorso) a un milione di lire. Nuovi abbonati potranno noleggiare il
ricevitore al costo di 15,000 lire al mese - il costo per acquistarlo =E8
piutosto alto, 1,700,000 lire. Gli abbonamenti per i bar spariscono, solo
ai gestori che erano gi=E0 abbonati viene concesso un altro anno.
La spesa per abbonarsi a tutte le partite della squadra favorita: 786,000
lire (abbonamento, noleggio del decoder per un anno), 99,000 lire
(cauzione) e 51,000 lire (avviamento del servizio). A questa somma si deve
aggiungere il costo della parabola e dell'instalazione (300-400,000 lire).

* PROGRAMME HIGHLIGHTS FOR RAI CHANNELS FROM AUGUST 30-SEPTEMBER 6 *

PRIME-TIME MOVIES
07.IX
RAI TRE, 20:50h - Poldark (U.K.-1996), starring: Sarah Carpenter, Mel Martin
08.IX
RAI UNO, 20:50h - Io e il Re (Italy-1995), starring: Franco Nero, Carlo
delle Plane
RAI UNO, 22:50h - Le quattro giornate di Napoli (Italy-1962), starring:
Regina Bianchi, Lea Massari
09.IX
RAI UNO, 20:50h - Paradise (USA-1991), starring: Melanie Griffith, Don=
Johnson
RAI TRE, 20:50h - The case of the lethal lifestyle (USA-1993), starring:
Hal Holbrook, Barbara Hale
10.IX
RAI UNO, 20:50h - Why my daughter (USA-1993), starring: Linda Gray, Jamie
Luner
RAI DUE, 20:50h - Primo cittadino - Part I (Italy), starring: Tullio=
Solenghi
11.IX
RAI TRE, 20:40h - Woman undone (USA-1995), starring: Mary McDonnnell, Sam
Eliott
RAI DUE, 20:50h - Senza pelle (Italy-1994), starring: Anna Galiena, Massimo
Ghini
12.IX
RAI TRE, 20:25h - Never say never again (U.K-1983), starring: Sean Connery,
Kim Basinger
RAI UNO, 22:50h - Beverly Hills stories (USA-1991), starring: Bette Midler,
Woody Allen
13.IX
RAI DUE, 20:50h - Turner and Hooch (USA-1989), starring: Tom Hanks, Mare
Winningham
RAI DUE, 20:50h - Best revenge (USA-1996), starring: Christine Riccelli,
Robert Pine=20
RAI TRE, 20:40h - Jaws 2 (USA-1978), starring: Roy Scheider, Lorraine Gary
RAI UNO, 00:20h - The last wave (Australia-1977), starring: Richard
Chamberlain, Vivian Gray=20

Note: all movies transmitted in the prime-time slot on RAI UNO are
subtitled in English on RAI Teletext page 778

SPORT=20
08.IX
RAI TRE, 16:20h - Umetni~ka gimnastika: World championships
RAI TRE, 16:55h - Volleyball: European Championships, Slovakia-Italy
RAI DUE, 18:20h - Volleyball: European Championships, Slovakia-Italy
10.IX
RAI TRE, 14:55h - Football: EC qualifiers (under 21s), Georgia-Italy
RAI TRE, 16:50h - Volleyball: European Championships, Italy-Germany
RAI UNO, 17:55h - Football: WC qualifiers, Georgia-Italy
11.IX
RAI TRE, 15:35h - Volleyball: European Championships, Russia-Italy
13.IX
RAI TRE, 16:55h - Volleyball: European Championships, semifinals

Boris Djatlov

Sep 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/6/97

SAT-Usenet
42/97
get the best from Newsgroups via eMail!

This service is sponsored by
TELE-satellite
INTERNATIONAL
http://www.tele-satellite.com

Editor for TS:
Marc Ruenger
eMail: MRue...@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/mruenger/sat-tv.htm

ALL MATERIAL PROVIDED HERE IS FOR PERSONAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND MAY NOT BE
USED FOR ANY COMERCIAL REASONS, WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION FROM THE EDITOR.

Subject: Re: TV Norge program listings?
From: Inge Lindland <skyl...@skyliner.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 14:21:49 +0200

ar...@sco.com wrote:

> Hello.
>
> On checking the TV Norge teletext service, it would appear that they do
> not have a list of their program schedule on page 600 any more. There
> is some information on page 100 but I do not speak Norwegian :-)
>
> Could someone translate this for me? Does anyone know what has happened
> to the program listings, or have another source for the listings?
>
> Regards,
>
> Aris

As Norsk TV2 has bought the majority of TV Norge, they will start a new
TTV service. Until that, they will not update their pages.
--
Press here to mail me: mailto:skyl...@skyliner.net
I HATE SPAM!

http://skyliner.net

Me, a lunatic?

Inge Lindland.

Subject: Re: I want my MTV --- where has it gone
From: XXX...@rustpost8.tele.dk (J.M.Jahn)
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 12:30:03 GMT

On Fri, 29 Aug 1997 12:23:45 +0000, Jim Chenvert
<chen...@evolution.org> wrote:

>Any one know what happened to MTV on 1 degree west? Seems BBC Prime is
>on that frequency now, as well as it's old (?) home......

MTV has moved to feq. 11.435 V ( a couple of days ago)
--
Regards,
Joseph M. Jahn

#####

For information on how to subscribe or unsubscribe, send email to

Majo...@tags1.dn.net (_not_ to me, please - so do NOT use reply) and

include the line
help
in the body of your message.

SAT-Usenet 43/97 get the best from Newsgroups via eMail!

Subject: The new TV3 norway code !
From: Peter Andreasen <Pet...@post5.tele.dk>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 11:49:07 +0200

The code

Key Oc
Hex = ED A3 67 46 25 8D 98
multimac = 7630,3421,7802,5703,3604,1635,2136

Subject: Re: Tv3 Norweigan is now running key 0C!
From: loffys...@geocities.com (Loffy Scarden)
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 1997 14:08:48 GMT

peter.j...@mailbox.swipnet.se (Peter Jonasson) wrote:

>Hi all

>Tv3 Norwegian is now running key 0C! It is of course a new key and from
>what I know not known (yet)

>Regards Peter

Yes I did see that, they are back to 0b again at the time of writing
this. 16.11 cet

Loffy Scarden
Mail:loffys...@geocities.com
Web:http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/9068

Subject: New channel on 1west 1sept
From: "Slice" <will...@hotmail.com>
Date: 1 Sep 1997 18:57:44 GMT

Maximaze this and save. New 1 sept....... working now...

Thor 1 and 2, Intelsat 707, TV Sat 2 1o west,

Cartoon Network 11.001 V D2MAC
TNT - Turner Network TV 11.001 V D2MAC
TV1000 11.054 V D2MAC
TV 3 Norway 11.096 H D2MAC
New in aug. TV Denmark 11.216 Lc V D2MAC
New 1sept. Canal + Danmark 11.261 H D2Mac
New 1sept. Canal + Norway 11.293 H D2Mac
New in aug. NRK 2 11.325 Rc H D2MAC
New in aug. Channel 5 11.341 V PAL
New in aug. NRK 1 11.357 Rc H DMAC
TVS - Sportchannel 11.389 Rc H D2MAC
New in aug. TVNorge 11.421 H PAL
New in aug. MTV Europe 11.434 V D2MAC
TV 3 Denmark 11.473 V D2MAC
New in aug. VTV 11.540 V D2MAC
New 1sept. CNN International 11.485 H D2MAC
TV 2 ( Norway ) 11.555 H D2MAC
TV 3 Sweden 11.597 V D2MAC
DR 2 / Sky Entertainment 11.667 V D2MAC
New 1sept. BBC Prime 11.679 H D2MAC
New in aug. Sky 11.773 Rc D2MAC
Eurosport Nordic 11.862 Rc D2MAC
TV1000 Cinema 11.888 L D2MAC
Sci-Fi 11.912 Lc D2MAC
Home Shopping Network 11.938 Rc D2MAC
The Children Channel 11.938 Rc D2MAC
Discovery 11.938 Rc D2MAC
3+ Denmark 11.977 L D2MAC
New 1sept. Canal + Yellow ( Filmnet 2 ) 12.015 Rc D2MAC
New 1sept. Canal + Sweden ( Filmnet 1 ) 12.092 Rc D2MAC

Tele-X, Sirius 5o east

VH-1 11.785 R D2MAC
Nickelodeon 11.862 R D2MAC
Z TV Sweden 11.862 R D2MAC
TV Stockholm 11.938 R PAL
TV 4 11.938 R PAL
TV 6 Sweden 12.015 R D2MAC
TV 3 Sweden 12.092 R D2MAC
Channel 5 12.475 L PAL
TVS - Sportchannel 12.637 L D2MAC

New channel on 5 east maybe in nowember 97 on Sirius 2:
11.727 H, 11.747 V, 11.767 H, 11.900 V, 12.073 H, 12.092 V,
12.111 H, 12.130 V, 12.149 H, 12.169 V, 12.188 H, 12.207 V,
12.226 H, 12.245 V, 12.265 H, 12.284 V, 12.203 H, 12.322 V,
12.341 H, 12.360 V, 12.380 H, 12.399 V, 12.418 H, 12.437 V,
12.456 H, 12.476 V, 12.604 V, 12.646 H, 12.687 V, 12.687 H,
12.729 H

Some sat card info:
http://home.sol.no/rstormo/sat/ Nordic
http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/9068/pic.htm
http://www.eurosat.com/stegen/ Stegen

1pic hex code her. All dmac/d2mac channel on 1west. Almost all tuners.
Copy after line to line and past in notepad and save like hex.
:10000000B721A0002830BC21903084210A0808398B
:100010008421F0308A051B308400840AA1218000ED
:10002000841E0D280C30AF002F085A3E27201D06D5

Subject: Re: dutch tv question
From: ze...@cableinet.co.uk.com (Peter)
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 20:01:47 GMT

On Sat, 30 Aug 1997 18:45:39 +0200, jd...@wirehub.nl (J.D. van Meines)
wrote:

>In article <EFoJz...@exeter.ac.uk>, s...@area51.upsu.plym.ac.uk says...
>> Hello,
>>
>> Does anyone know know if a Television bought in holland will work okay
>> in england -.
>>
>> I know both countries use Pal, but i've heard that a Dutch tv taken to
>> England won't pick up the sound on bbc1,bbc2, itv and ch4 because they
>> use a differnet subcarrier for the audio.

the old mono sound on British TV is 6Mhz from the vison, for the Dutch
TV it is probably 5.5 MHz.

>> Can someone email me about this.
>>
>> i have a friend who doesn't know whether to bring her television from
>> the Netherlands over to England.
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Robin
>> (s...@area51.upsu.plym.ac.uk)
>
>The difference is in the stereo sound system: UK uses NICAM stereo and
>Holland uses A2. There are however many tvs and vcrs that have both
>systems built in. I do not know if this means that when your tv does not
>have NICAM you will just only be able to get mono sound or if you won't
>have any sound at all.

NICAM sound is digitally encoded in the dead time between two lines
being sent to the tv screen (line blanking period) - don't know
nuffin' about A2 though.

>JAN

Boris Djatlov

Sep 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/6/97

Boris Djatlov

Sep 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/7/97

WELCOME TO SAT-MIDEAST !
A news release from Cairo, Egypt, located at 30.3 North - 31.15 East,
sponsored by TELE-SATELLIT INTERNATIONAL, Europes Satellite Magazine.
WHAT YOU'LL FIND HERE:
- Satellite and Transponder Observations in C- and Ku-Band,
- Commented from the Middle Eastern perspective.
HOW TO CONTACT SAT-MIDEAST:
Send relevant infos, interesting news, and creative comments to :

hcr...@intouch.com

Upon your request are forwarded messages kept anonymous.
THE HEADLINES IN THIS 97.09.05 REPORT (with a tear in the eye...):

- Launch Information
- Hot Bird Infos
- WorldSpace Radio
- CFI back to Arabsat ?
- Bits & Pieces

LAUNCH INFORMATION, http://www.satcodx.com/launches.shtml
-----------------

Arianespace has successfully launched the Hot Bird 3 and Meteosat 7

satellites for Eutelsat and Eumetsat respective. The launch took place
at 01:21 CAT from the Kourou launch center. Flight 99 was carried out by
an ARIANE 44LP, the most powerful version of the European launcher with
two solid and two liquid propellant boosters.

The launch was covered for the Middle East via Eutelsat II-f4 M, at 7
East. Transponder 26, 11.080 Ghz, V, was dedicated to it, featuring a
French audio channel on 6.60 MHz and an English one at 7.20 MHz. Some
disruptions of the audio carriers from the up-link site, with exchange
of the two sound channels, could be noticed during the broadcast.

Hot Bird 3 was built by Matra Marconi Space in Toulouse and will be

positioned at the 13 degrees East orbital location over Africa. It will

provide digital or analog direct broadcasting of TV programs for all

European countries and beyond.

Meteosat 7, the sixth Meteosat series satellite launched by Arianespace,

will provide service for meteorological data and images through 2002. It
is equipped with one S-band and one UHF-band transponder. Positioned at
0 degrees over the Gulf of Guinea, it will cover Europe, Africa, the
Middle East, the Atlantic and part of South America.

Meteosat 7 is the last of its series, a new, more powerful and larger
model is presently under construction for a launch in the next century.

Ariane flight number updates:

V100 - 23/09 - Intelsat 803
V101 - 30/09 - Ariane 502 with Maqsats
V102 - 22/10 - Sirius 2 & Cikrawatra 1 (the re-named Indostar 1)
V103 - 13/11 - JCSAT 5
V104 - 08/12 - Hot Bird 4 & BSAT 1B
V105 - xx/01 - Nilesat 1 & ?

HOT BIRD INFO
-------------
Hot Bird 3 features 26 transponder of which are 20 active at one at the
same time. They are powered by 135 Watt TWTA's (Traveling Wave Tube
Amplifiers), which is a nice increase compared to the 110 Watt TWTA's
used on Hot Bird 2.
A slight improvement in EIRP could be expected, with at least higher
saturation figures.

In general an EIRP of 43-45 dBW of the Widebeam transponder can be
expected on the Barbary Coastline, with the exeption of Marocco, Algeria
and Tunesia where at least 47 dBW will be received. The Canary Islands
and the Gulf States will receive special spots with a coverage of 42
dBW.

The coverage of the Hot Bird 3 is in general identical to that of Hot
Bird 2; new is an adjustable beam, onto which six of the twenty active
tranponder can be switched. This first time feature on an Eutelsat
satellite is able to cover every point on earth visible from the 13
degrees East slot, with an EIRP in the spot-center of nominal 54 dBW.
(See below for a frequency/channel list)

Hot Bird 4 is also equipped with an adjustable beam as Hot Bird 3 and
features 13 active transponder in the range of 10.700-10.950 GHz and 7
active transponder in the range from 12.500-12.750 GHz.

Hot Bird 4 is the first Eutelsat satellite able to receive individual
digital transmissions and perform the so-called "Skyplex" multiplexing
of signals aboard, prior to re-transmission in MPEG-2 packages.
A launch by Arianespace flight V104 is scheduled to take place December
8th 1997.

Hot Bird 5 has been announced to be positioned in mid 1998 on the 13
degrees East spot and offers 22 active transponder, two more than Hot
Bird 3 and Hot Bird 4.
Hot Bird 5 has, as Hot Bird 4, on-board "Skyplex" multiplexing
capabilities.

Hot Birds 2, 3, 4 are configured to backup the Eutelsat II-f1, which
will be relocated after the launch of the final replacement satellite
Hot Bird 5.

The Eutelsats II on 7 and 10 East are expected not to broadcast anymore
in the range above 12.500 GHz, in order not to interfere with MPEG-2
transmissions on neighbouring satellites. (13 East and the Skandinavian
satellites on 5 East)
(SME, sources: Eutelsat, Matra Marconi)

HOT BIRD 3, 13 East, launched with Ariane V99 -> 2/3 September 1997

[Not named channels are either S or W / A or D / F or C]
tp#, freq#, S/W(Super/Wide beam), A/D(Analog/Digital), F/C(Free/Coded)

Vertical S/W A/D F/C Channel
70: 12.111 S D C Telepiu, Italy, MPEG-2, IRDETO [1]
72: 12.149 S D C Telepiu, Italy, MPEG-2, IRDETO [1]
74: 12.188 S D C
76: 12.226 S D C
78: 12.265 S D C
80: 12.303 S D C
82: 12.341 S D C
84: 12.380 S D C
86: 12.418 S D C TPS, France, MPEG-2, VIACCESS [5]
88: 12.466 S D C TPS, France, MPEG-2, VIACCESS [5]

Horizontal S/W A/D F/C Channel
71: 12.130 W A F MTV2, Hungaria, PAL, 6.60 [6]
73: 12.169 S D C
75: 12.207 S D C
77: 12.245 S D C
79: 12.284 S D C
81: 12.322 S D C
83: 12.360 S D C
85: 12.399 S D C Various, Switzerland, MPEG-2, VIACCESS [8]
87: 12.437 S D C
89: 12.476 S D C

Bandwith of tp 88 is 60 MHz, the other tps are 33 MHz width.

[1] Telepiu uses HB2 V tp62:11.958,tp64:11.996,tp66:12.034,tp68:12.073

[5] TPS uses E2f1 V tp45:12.542,tp46:12.584,tp49:12.708

[6] Audio Subcarriers:
7.02 - MTV2 Left / Hungarian language mono
7.20 - MTV2 Right / Original language mono
7.38 - Unknown Radio
7.56 - Unknown Radio

[8] Channels:
DRS 1
DRS 2
TSR 1
TSR 2
TSI
& approx 10 Radio Channels

FURTHER CHANNEL RESERVATIONS:

Bloomberg.......MPEG-2..Super...Clear
ET1/ERT.........PAL.....Wide....Clear
Animal Planet...PAL.....Super...Clear
TV Slovenya.....MPEG-2..Wide....[9]SLO1,SLO2,Koper Capodistria & 5 Radio
Croatian TV.....MPEG-2..Wide....[9]HRT1,HRT2,HRT3,HRT Sat & 3 Radio
Polish package..MPEG-2..Super...?
DMP Germany.....MPEG-2..Super...(Deutsche Multimedia Plattform)
FilmNet Hellas..MPEG-2..Wide....IRDETO (hor tp)
MCM.............MPEG-2..Super...Viaccess (hor tp)
Nethold.........MPEG-2..Super...IRDETO (three tp)

[9] TV Slovenya & Croation share one transponder
The channels will be launched latest November 1st 1997
and stay for an limited initial period in the clear

The Afristar satellite for Worldspace Radio (to be launched by
Arianespace on 16 June 1998) will be located at 21 East. Contracts for
the manufacturing and distribution of the DTH digital radio receivers
are awarded to Hitachi, Matsushita, JVC and Sanyo, with an allowed 24
month of exlusivity.

The initial sales price of these receivers will be around USD 200, which
is double the amount of the previous targeted price. A drop is to be
expected after an increase in produced quantities of the unit (and have
to sell them first...;-).

Two follow-up satellites Asiastar and Caribstar will be launched in
December'98 and June'99 respective.
(SME)

EXPRESS 6, 80 East, http://www.satcodx.com/e6.html
----------
TV6 Moscow on transponder 10, 3.875 GHz, R, added the number of 850, in
white, below their station logo carried in the upper-left corner of the
screen. This reflects the 850-year festivities of the city of Moscow
these days.
(SME)

PANAMSAT 4, 68.4 East, http://www.satcodx.com/pas4.html
----------
Doordarshan International on transponder 12, 4.034 GHz, V, changed also
its on-screen logo to commemorate the 50 years of India's independency
of the British Empire, by adding two banners and the number 50 to the
standard logo.
(SME)

INTELSAT 704, 66 East, http://www.satcodx.com/i704.html
------------
Vijay TV has left 4.180 GHz, R, and can be found presently only on
Thaicom 3 at 78.5 East: 3.616 GHz, V.
(SME)

INTELSAT 703, 57 East, http://www.satcodx.com/i703.html
------------
Indian broadcaster NEPC TV has again left 4.060 GHz, L and could not be
observed from another satellite location. As the ceasure occured with
the dawn of the new month, it must be the end of contract, or end of
paid transponder time.
(SME)

TURKSAT 1C, 42 East, http://www.satcodx.com/turk1c.html
----------
Digital transmissions of Sun TV on 11.045 GHz, H have ceased.
(SATCO DX)

ARABSAT 2A, 26 East, http://www.satcodx.com/arab2a.html
----------
Ku-band transponder 5, 12.605 GHz, H, showed this week often an empty
carrier, with various saturation levels, but never higher then 70
percent.
Are we experiencing here test for the expansion of the 1stNet DStv
bouquet or are these test in order to allow CFI to return to the Arab
World ?

ARABSAT recently offered CFI, as part of a compromise deal, a Ku
transponder on Arabsat 2A, and confirmed that the possibility of a
C-Band transmission was ruled out. An eventuel acceptance of CFI is not
confirmed yet.
(SME)

EUTELSAT II-f3, 16 East, http://www.satcodx.com/e2f3.html
--------------
Due to the current IFA exhibition in Berlin, Germany, regular feeds can
be found on 11.668 GHz, H, MPEG-2, clear, with SR 6109, FEC 3/4, and
VPID: 4021, APID: 4022.
(SATCO DX)

EUTELSAT II-f1, 13 East, http://www.satcodx.com/e2f1.html
--------------
On October 3rd, TVN (northern Poland) will start on widebeam transponder
41U, 12.567 GHz, H, MPEG-2, 07:00-16:00 CAT. Programming will contain
information, entertainment, sports and movies. Pro TV uses this
frequency in the evening.
(SATCO DX)

A reception is only possible in the western parts of the Middle East
with very good equipment, as the transmitted power from this satellite
is quite low.
(SME)

HOT BIRD 2, 13 East, http://www.satcodx.com/hb2.html
----------
The RAI MPEG-2 package on transponder 54, 11,804 GHz, V, features
teletext services on RAI Uno/Due/Tre.
The Mediaset MPEG-2 package on transponder 60, 11.919 GHz, V, features
teletext services on all channels, exept the feed channel.
(SATCO DX)

HOT BIRD 3, up there, somewhere, http://www.satcodx.com/hb3.html
----------
TV Slovenija will start to transmit its three TV channels (TVS 1, TVS 2
and TV Koper - Capodistria), plus five radio channels at latest
November1st.

The MPEG-2 TV channels will be in the clear for the first three months,
some of the daily programming will be encrypted later for copyright
reasons.
On the same (yet unknown) transponder, Croatian TV will transmit its
four TV channels (HRT 1, HRT 2, HRT 3, HRT Sat) and three radio channels
on the same basis.
(Gregor Bregar)

SME Curiosity: Hot Bird 2 was publicly seen transmitting first life
signs from 26 East only nine days after been deployed in orbit. Soon
thereafter a full day of Eutelsat broadcasts could be seen from the 29
East position.

It would be interesting to see if the Matra Marconi & CNES engineers
manage to get at least one transponder of the Hot Bird 3 going in less
than 200 hours after launch, wouldn't it ? It's just a matter of proper
goal setting! ;-)
(SME)

AMOS 1, 4 West, http://www.satcodx.com/amos1.html
------
Transponder 3L, 11.131 GHz, V, was used for a public, commercial
presentation of a new Israeli aircraft, build under the wings of the
IAI.

On various Vertical transponder could at times SNG be observed for the
various local and international news services after another unfortunate
incident in the capital Jerusalem.
(SME)

EXPRESS 2, 14 West, http://www.satcodx.com/e2.html
---------
After a strong PAL test card the IRIB test card appeared again on 3.980
GHz, R, with a sinus wave on the audio subcarriers 6.20 & 6.80 MHz.
Transmissions of the IRIB exterior service could not be observed yet.
(SME)

PANAMSAT 3R, 43 West, http://www.satcodx.com/pas3r.html
-----------
Exeptional strong feed signals on 12.701 GHz, H and 12.730 GHz, H.
(SME)

That's all folks, see ye' in good health...

Henk C. Room / SAT-MidEast / Cairo - Egypt

Best regards,

Henk C. Room / Sat-MidEast / Cairo - Egypt
- and put in the body-text on a single line: subscribe

HOW TO UN-SUBSCRIBE:
- Send an e-mail to: majo...@tags1.dn.net
- and put in the body-text on a single line: unsubscribe

Boris Djatlov

Sep 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/7/97

Sat-ND, 5.9.1997 -- They are standing still

This service is provided free of charge for personal use. It may be=20
used and redistributed for non-commercial purposes only, provided the=20=

Today's Headlines
SATELLITES
OrbView 2 ready
The flyable satellite
Satmex bids accepted
EU protests proposed U.S. satellite rules
CHANNELS
Howard Stern in Quebec
DIGITAL
Rubinstein still working on XM
RUPERTWATCH
Rupert buys a baseball team
With or without you
FEEDBACK
Sat-ND, 4.9.97

SATELLITES
OrbView 2 ready
OrbView-2 has successfully reached its final operational orbit and=20
collected its first test images of the Earth.
The satellite is owned by Orbital Imaging Corporation (ORBIMAGE), the=20=

Earth imaging subsidiary of Orbital Sciences Corporation. The=20
spacecraft satellite was successfully launched on August 1, 1997,=20
aboard Orbital's Pegasus XL launch vehicle.
Initially, OrbView-2 was parked in a circular orbit of 310 kilometres=20=

above the Earth. Over the past month, ORBIMAGE has conducted an=20
extensive series of spacecraft tests and determined that the=20
satellite's operating systems are performing very well. During the=20
same period, OrbView-2 was put in its final orbit at an altitude of=20
705 kilometres through a series of 32 separate firings of the=20
satellite's onboard hydrazine thrusters.
Now, the SeaWiFS sensor aboard OrbView-2 was also activated, taking=20
test images over the United States, Canada, and the Atlantic Ocean.=20
With these important milestones now achieved, OrbView-2 is ready to=20
commence its mission to provide multi-spectral (color) images of the=20=

Earth's oceans and land surfaces for use in scientific and commercial=20=

applications, the ORBIMAGE said in a statement.

The flyable satellite
The U.S. Air Force and Boeing have introduced a prototype of a the=20
next generation reconnaissance vehicle =96 not exactly a satellite but a=
=20
cigar-shaped device, some seven metres in length.
The crewless Space Maneuver Vehicle could carry a 1,200-pound payload,=20=

be launched from a space shuttle, stay in orbit for a year and finally=20=

land on its own =96 which even makes it reusable.
Initial flight tests with launches from a helicopter are scheduled to=20=

begin in November at Holliman Air Force Base in New Mexico. The craft=20=

will be dropped from a helicopter at 3.3 kilometres, perform gliding=20=

manoeuvres and land under its own power. Further phases of development=20=

yet remain unfunded.
You can have a look at the vehicle and read further details at=20
http://www.msnbc.com/news/107500.asp

Satmex bids accepted
Mexico has accepted the bids of U.S satellite giants General Electric=20=

Co., Loral Corp. and Hughes Electronics Corp. for Mexico's satellite=20=

system Satmex.
60 percent of the government-owned Satelites Mexicanos SA system are=20=

to be auctioned, plus an option for further 15 percent. Satmex owns=20
two operating centres and the right to launch and operate a fourth=20
satellite in addition to the existing Morelos 2 and Solidaridad 1 and=20=

2.
The price for the 60-percent share was estimated at US$700 million to=20=

US$1 billion. Satmex generates an annual revenue of about US$110=20
million. GE, Loral and Hughes respectively had to co-operate with=20
local companies because the owner of the 60-percent share must be=20
majority Mexican capital.
Loral Space & Communications teamed up with Mexico's Telefonica Autrey=20=

while PanamSat partnered with Industrias Penoles. GE Americom has to=20=

name its Mexican partner until the end of September. The winner of the=20=

auction will be announced on November 7.

EU protests proposed U.S. satellite rules
Deregulation, free trade, unlimited satellite services all over the=20
world? The European Commission has complained about U.S. rules that=20
may exclude foreign competitors from access to American skies.
The Commission said that the draft rules on satellite communications,=20=

announced by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission in July,=20
risked violating international trade obligations: "The EU [European=20
Union] ... reserves its right to challenge them under the WTO (World=20=

Trade Organisation.)"
The EU in particular refused a planned "reciprocity test" that is=20
intended to make sure that foreign operators cannot offer satellite=20
services in the United States unless its country offered U.S.=20
companies "effective competitive opportunities" in those sectors. The=20=

problem seems to be that the U.S. would define and determine what=20
"effective competitive opportunities" are.
There is another clause the EU has complained about: the U.S. rules=20
call for "public interest" factors to be taken into account. For=20
instance, licenses could be refused that would present a "very high=20
risk to competition" -- again, it's obviously the U.S. that decide on=20=

what's a risk to competition.

CHANNELS
Howard Stern in Quebec
U.S. radio shock jock Howard Stern paid a visit to the Canadian=20
French-speaking province of Quebec earlier this week and appeared on a=20=

radio show. Meanwhile, the first complaints have arrived at Canada's=20=

media authority CRTC.
On the English-language station CHOM-FM, he called French-speaking=20
people "scumbags" -- and that reportedly was about the nicest thing he=20=

had to say about them. Besides, he expected that Quebec's=20
English-speaking minority, most of which live in the Montreal area,=20
would appreciate his anti-French stance.
The French-speaking majority, obviously not used to U.S. shock jocks,=20=

was not amused. The CRTC said it had received several telephone calls=20=

and at least two written complaints about Stern's broadcast. Quebec's=20=

Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Jacques Brassard called Stern a=20
"racist" and "narrow-minded sewer rat" -- in French. English-rights=20
activists have dismissed Stern's comments as "absolutely=20
reprehensible."=20

DIGITAL
Rubinstein still working on XM
Shortly after pay-radio DMX Europe broke down last July, its founder=20=

Jerry Rubinstein issued a press release saying that a new company by=20=

the name of Xtra Music (XM) had "acquired the rights to the=20
programming of DMX Inc. for several territories" and "will be offering=20=

the service in 2 to 6 weeks."
Former DMX Europe customers are still waiting, now that the six weeks=20=

are more than over. However, Mr Rubinstein said meanwhile that the=20
service should be re-established by the end of September, offering=20
initially 40 channels on the Astra satellite system. He did not give=20=

any reasons for the delay, nor did he elaborate on details of the=20
demise of DMX Europe. He also said he was owning 90 percent of XM=20
while financing the venture own his own. (The remaining 10 percent,=20
according to Rubinstein, are held by DMX Inc. of the U.S.)
The service, he said, will be launched in Germany first because DMX=20
Europe had most subscribers there. By the end of the year, Rubinstein=20=

hopes to have doubled the number of channels, offering a Europe-wide=20=

service.
Now I won't say this guy isn't really trying hard to get the service=20=

up and running again. I hope he succeeds because, in effect, he owes=20=

me some money =96 I happened to be a subscriber to DMX Europe, and=20
anyway: I share Rubinstein's belief that this is a truly great=20
service, although only for a minority. However, his July statement=20
turned out to be simply false, so why believe his new promises?

RUPERTWATCH
by Dr Sarmaz

Rupert buys a baseball team
Rupert Murdoch's Fox Group will finally buy the Los Angeles Dodgers=20
baseball team.
The deal that had been expected for some months is still subject to=20
approval by Major League Baseball's eight-member ownership committee.=20=

The sale must in turn be approved by three-fourths of the National=20
League club owners and a majority of American League owners.
The deal, worth an estimated US$350 million, was finalised over the=20
past few days. It had been expected since last May when the Dodgers=20
sought permission to begin discussions with Fox.
Mr Murdoch's network already airs about 40 Dodgers games per year. The=20=

purchase will provide him with broadcast rights not only for his Fox=20=

Sports operations, but also for his television ventures in Asia where=20=

baseball seems to be popular too [at least in Japan.]

With or without you
A statement recently made by TCI chairman John Malone has raised some=20=

doubts about the involvement of Mr Murdoch's News Corp in PrimeStar, a=20=

DBS service run by U.S. cable companies.
Malone gave the PrimeStar roll-up a 90 percent chance of completion=20
which he expects to happen within the next three to six months. (Last=20=

June, PrimeStar Partners, the nation's second largest provider of=20
direct broadcast satellite [DBS] video services, announced the=20
reorganisation of its ownership structure from a partnership into a=20
new corporation called PrimeStar Inc. The service also plans to offer=20=

high-power satellite services.)
However, Malone gave News Corp.'s effort to join the home satellite=20
provider only a 65 percent chance. Under the proposed deal, News Corp=20=

would sell its prime orbital slot, two high-power satellites and=20
related DBS assets to Primestar for US$1.1 billion in nonvoting=20
securities.
Malone said that PrimeStar may not be able to go to high-power until=20=

next summer. Observers noted that that may allow the already existing=20=

DBS services to hold and extend their lead over PrimeStar that=20
currently utilises only medium-power satellite capacity.

FEEDBACK
Sat-ND, 4.9.97
Scott Dance told me that yesterdays "Car Repair via Satellite" was=20
quite nice, adding that additional information on the GPS end of the=20=

system check was available at http://www.trimble.com/oem/om_bpart.htm
(I did not check the URL because I'd only be interested in a=20
satellite-based bicycle repair service that can inflate flat tyres and=20=

possibly grease my chain if necessary ;-)
Paul Gillingwater asked what a "supersynchronous" orbit was. I used=20
that term yesterday to describe the launch of GE-3. I may be wrong as=20=

usual, but I think it's a relatively new variation of the=20
geostationary transfer orbit (GTO) that any satellite has to be put=20
into before gradually becoming truly geostationary. Maybe the experts=20=

who read this service can provide a more detailed explanation.=20
Besides, I remember that Jonathan's Space Report had some details on=20=

those new GTO techniques a few months ago, so why not check the back=20=

issues of this truly professional service (in contrast to mine)?
ftp://sao-ftp.harvard.edu/pub/jcm/space/news/
Several readers have written in to express their support to this=20
service in the wake of my recent "piss off" bit. As I'm not sure I can=20=

answer every email separately in due course, I'd just like to take=20
this occasion to thank you very much for your encouragement. Every=20
comment by you is indeed appreciated, even though I may not have the=20=

time to answer it. I'll try to, anyway.

Copyright 09/97 by Peter C. Klanowski, p...@LyNet.De. All rights=20
reserved.

All The Best.
Boris Djatlov.

Boris Djatlov

Sep 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/7/97

List of movies on German and Italian satellite tv that come at least
on one audio channel in the original version:

September 7 - September 19 (time is Central Europe Summer Time)

Su, September 7:

08:10 Telecom Italia Concerts: Clavier Concerto BWV 1056, Goldberg
RAITRE Variations BWV 988 (excerpts), Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 BWV
1048; by Johann Sebastian Bach; stereo; 50 min.

Mo, September 8:

02:10 Brazil; UK, 1985; surreal Sci-fi movie starring Jonathan Price,
RAITRE Robert De Niro, Bob Hoskins; directed by Terry Gilliam;
MIGHT be in original language with Italian subtitles; 131 min.

Tu, September 9:

02:10 Henry V; UK, 1945; drama starring Laurence Olivier,
RAITRE Robert Newton, Leslie Banks; directed by Laurence Olivier;
MIGHT be in original language with Italian subtitles; 137 min.

20:50 "Paradise" (La strada per il Paradiso); USA, 1991; drama
RAIUNO starring Melanie Griffith; directed by Mary Agnes Donoghue;
SUBTITLED in English on RAI Teletext page 778; 110 min.

We, September 10:

02:10 Nine Days a Queen; UK, 1936; drama starring Cedric Hardwicke,
RAITRE Sybil Thorndike, Felix Aylmer; directed by Robert Stevenson;
MIGHT be in original language with Italian subtitles; 80 min.

20:50 "Why My Daughter" (Perche' mia figlia?); USA, 1993; drama
RAIUNO starring Linda Gray, Jamie Luner; directed by Chuck Bowman;
SUBTITLED in English on RAI Teletext page 778; 79 min.

Th, September 11:

02:10 The Best Man; USA, 1964; drama starring Henry Fonda, Cliff
RAITRE Robertson, Edie Adams; directed by Franklin J. Schaffner;
MIGHT be in original language with Italian subtitles; 102 min.

Fr, September 12:

20:25 "Never Say Never Again" (Mai dire mai); UK, 1983; spy story
RAITRE starring Sean Connery, Max Von Sydow, directed by I. Kershner;
SUBTITLED in English on RAI Teletext page 778; 137 min.

Sa, September 13:

00:20 The Top 50 of the International Video Art Award 1997; stereo;
SWF 35 min.

01:30 Space Night
Bayern

05:05 Rave Around The World; dance night; until 06:45
VOX

10:00 Babylon; magazine for foreigners; 60 min.
WDR

13:00 Monitor Italia; for Italians in Germany; 30 min.
Bayern

14:00 Open Air Mainz; with N'Sync, Jamie Walters, Scooter, Captain
SWF Jack and others; stereo; 60 min.

19:00 KYTV, part 3 of 18; UK, 1992/93; comedy with Angus Deayton,
arte Helen Atkinson Wood; original version with subtitles; 30 min.

20:00 Treasures of the World - Heritage of Mankind: Los Glaciares -
DW The Magic of the Ice - Argentina; 15 min.

20:15 Museums of Industry; 15 min.
DW

20:50 "Turner & Hooch" (Turner e il "casinaro"); USA, 1989; comedy
RAIUNO starring Tom Hanks, Mare Winningham; directed by R. Spottiswoode;
SUBTITLED in English on RAI Teletext page 778; 97 min.

23:30 The Champagne Murders (Champagner-Moerder); France, 1966;
WDR thriller starring Anthony Perkins, directed by Claude
Chabrol; 95 min.

Su, September 14:

00:45 The Top 50 of the International Video Art Award 1997; stereo;
SWF 30 min.

01:08 Rock Palace; Cologne, 06/04-06/97; with Brings, Hunting Cows,
WDR Thumb, Be and others; stereo; 307 min.

01:35 The Indian Fighter; USA, 1955; western starring Kirk Douglas,
RAITRE Elsa Martinelli, Walter Matthau; directed by Andre' De Toth;
MIGHT be in original language with Italian subtitles; 88 min.

02:15 JazzBaltica 1997; Kenny Garrett featuring Kenny Kirkland;
3sat stereo; 65 min.

02:25 Space Night
Bayern

03:05 Springfield Rifle; USA, 1952; western starring Gary Cooper,
RAITRE Phyllis Thaxter, David Brian; directed by Andre' De Toth;
MIGHT be in original language with Italian subtitles; 93 min.

03:40 Rave Around The World; dance night
VOX

04:35 Crime Wave; USA, 1954; b & w drama starring Sterling Hayden,
RAITRE Gene Nelson, Phyllis Kirk; directed by Andre' De Toth;
MIGHT be in original language with Italian subtitles; 74 min.

05:45 Thunder Over the Plains; USA, 1954; western starring
RAITRE Lex Barker, Randolph Scott; directed by Andre' De Toth;
MIGHT be in original language with Italian subtitles; 82 min.

09:15 Classic Music; stereo; 60 min.
3sat

09:30 H.E.A.T. - Hits, Entertainment and Topics; 60 min.
DW

10:00 Babylon; magazine for foreigners; 60 min.
WDR

11:33 Hans Vonk conducts the Cologne Symphony Orchestra: Webern
WDR and Strauss; stereo; 57 min.

12:15 Riccardo Muti conducts Johannes Brahms; 55 min.
Bayern

15:00 Video Timeline; 15 min.
DW

15:00 "Canyon Passage" (Feuer am Horizont); USA, 1946; western
WDR starring Dana Andrews, Brian Donlevy, Susan Hayward, directed
by Jacques Tourneur; 90 min.

19:00 Cartoon Factory; USA, 1925-39; original versions with
arte subtitles; 30 min.

19:30 Maestro: Maria Callas; 60 min.
arte

19:30 Video Timeline; repeat; 15 min.
DW

20:00 H.E.A.T. - Hits, Entertainment and Topics; repeat; 60 min.
DW

22:00 Tosco, part 2; opera by Giacomo Puccini, with Maria Callas;
arte 50 min.

22:35 Oprah Winfrey; talk show; 50 min.
tm3

23:30 Treasures of the World - Heritage of Mankind: Los Glaciares -
DW The Magic of the Ice - Argentina; repeat; 15 min.

23:45 Museums of Industry; repeat; 15 min.
DW

Mo, September 15:

00:05 "Return To Waterloo"; UK, 1984; music movie directed by
Bayern Ray Davies (head of the Kinks); original version with German
subtitles; 55 min.

00:30 The Top 50 of the International Video Art Award 1997; stereo;
SWF 30 min.

01:00 Space Night
Bayern

04:05 Rave Around The World; Dance Night
VOX

20:30 Feature: The Mysterious Call of the Wild - Back to Nature;
DW 30 min.

22:55 The Seven Samurai (Die sieben Samurai); Japan, 1953; black
arte and white historical adventure movie starring Takashi
Shimura, directed by Akira Kurosawa; original version with
subtitles; 195 min.

Tu, September 16:

00:15 The Top 50 of the International Video Art Award 1997; stereo;
SWF 30 min.

01:00 Oprah Winfrey; talk show; 45 min.
tm3

02:05 Space Night
Bayern

03:15 Rave Around The World; Dance Night
VOX

16:45 Azimut(h)s; documentary series; Nicaragua, Haiti, Romania;
3sat 30 min.

20:00 Alice: The European Culture Magazine; 30 min.
DW

20:30 Close-up: The Current Feature Report; 30 min.
DW

23:30 Rock Palace: Simple Minds, Loreley, 06/21/1997, including a
WDR live version of "New Gold Dream"; stereo; 90 min.

23:50 "Sabado"; Brasil, 1995; drama starring Otavio Augusto, Maria
arte Padilha, Tom Ze; original version with subtitles; 85 min.

We, September 17:

00:45 Taubertal Festival 1997: Leningrad Cowboys; 45 min.
Bayern

01:25 Oprah Winfrey; talk show; 45 min.
tm3

02:00 Space Night
Bayern

03:20 Rave Around The World; dance night
VOX

10:00 Reports In English: Ghana; 15 min.
MDR

14:00 Disco, 1971; 45 min.
3sat

20:00 European Journal - The European Magazine; 30 min.
DW

20:30 Feature: Tradition - The Clan of the Buttons; 30 min.
DW

22:00 "Gunsmoke: The Last Apache" (Der letzte Apache); USA, 1990;
Bayern western starring James Arness, Joe Lara, Amy Stock-Poynton,
directed by Charles V. Correll; 90 min.

Th, September 18:

00:00 Rock Archives: Donovan live, 1997; stereo; 45 min.
NDR

01:10 Space Night
Bayern

01:55 Oprah Winfrey; talk show; 45 min.
tm3

05:40 Rave Around The World; dance night
VOX

20:00 Arts Unlimited - The cultural magazine; 30 min.
DW

Fr, September 19:

00:20 Oprah Winfrey; talk show; 45 min.
tm3

00:35 Without Filter Extra: Robben Ford; stereo; 60 min.
SWF

00:55 Space Night
Bayern

04:45 Rave Around The World; Dance Night
VOX

14:00 Absolute live: The Coalminers Beat; stereo; 45 min.
3sat

20:30 regarding - The Story of the Week; 30 min.
DW

Information for first time readers of this list:

- This list is available as weekly e-mail from a list server
provided by TELE-satellit. Just send an e-mail to
majo...@tags1.dn.net with the line
subscribe sat-guide <your e-mail address>
in the mail body (not in the subject line). You can also write
'help' in the mail body.

- There is a program available with which you can convert the time
of the list entries (and the start of a new day) according to your
time zone. The source code is available at
http://www.or.uni-bonn.de/~bergen/listconv.c
and the DOS executable at
http://www.or.uni-bonn.de/~bergen/listconv.zip
If you don't have WWW access just write me to send you the source
code as e-mail.

- Most entries contain first "in quotes" the original title of a
movie or, if the original title is not know to me, not in quotes
the translation of the German title. Then, if of any interest,
e.g. to identify the movie in a teletext listing, the German title
follows (put in parantheses).

- Space Night: see on Bayern's teletext page 398 for detailed
information of the current week's program.

- Because there are still four non-crypted music channels on
Eutelsat, I don't include broadcastings of video clips, but I
do include rock concerts, jazz and classical music. If anyone
is interested in video clips or any other kind of music, please
tell me by e-mail.

- A note about 'arte': English movies sometimes have German
subtitles on the Astra transponder and French subtitles on the
Eutelsat transponder or are only French dubbed on the Eutelsat
transponder or are only German dubbed on the Astra transponder
and might be in the original version on Astra, 7.38 MHz.

- Cross-posting, reprinting or distributing this list in any way
is VERY WELCOME.

Frequencies of the tv stations:

ARD Astra 11494 h
ZDF Astra 10964 h
WDR (West 3) Astra 11053 h
SWF (Suedwest 3) Astra 11186 v
NDR (Nord 3) Astra 11582 h
Bayern (Bayern 3) Astra 11141 h
MDR (MDR 3) Astra 11112 h
3sat Astra 11347 v
RTL Astra 11229 v
Super RTL Astra 11391 h
tm3 Astra 10936 v
SAT1 Astra 11288 v
RTL2 Astra 11214 h / Eutelsat 11095 h
VOX Astra 11273 h / Eutelsat 11593 h
arte Astra 10714 h / Eutelsat 11055 h
DW Eutelsat 11163 v
RAIUNO Eutelsat 11363 v
RAIDUE Eutelsat 11449 v
RAITRE Eutelsat 11532 v

Suggestions, comments and additions are always very welcome and
appreciated!

Lars Bergengruen ber...@unitas.or.uni-bonn.de

Fido: 2:2453/30.7