TZUTC

Kari Suomela

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
Why does Allfix not read the TZ variable, like other programs do?

KS

Harald Harms

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99
Kari,

> Why does Allfix not read the TZ variable, like other programs do?

ALLFIX does read that variable. It also reads the TZUTC variable. It will
overwrite the UTC offset variable in ASETUP (global options menu) with the
value of the TZ or TZUTC variable.

Greetings,

Harald Harms

Gisbert Rudolph

Jun 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/1/99
Hello Kari,

Sunday May 30 1999 11:06, Kari Suomela wrote to Harald Harms:

KS> Why does Allfix not read the TZ variable, like other programs do?

Allfix does that, _if_ no time zone is configured with asetup.exe.

Regards, Gisbert

Kari Suomela

Jun 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/1/99
Tuesday June 01 1999 09:28, Gisbert Rudolph wrote to Kari Suomela:

KS>> Why does Allfix not read the TZ variable, like other programs do?

GR> Allfix does that, _if_ no time zone is configured with asetup.exe.

Never hurts to read the docs, eh! Thx! I'll test it. :)

KS
[ ]
[ KARICO Business Services Tel (416) 502-1591 ]
[ Toronto ON Fax (416) 502-3611 ]
[ M2J 2V7 Mob (416) 725-0277 ]
[ Canada Email k...@karicobs.com ]
[ telnet://bbs.karicobs.com ]
[ ftp://karico1.karicobs.com]
[ http://www.karicobs.com ]
[_____________________________________________________________]

... Anarchy is better that no government at all.

Kari Suomela

Jun 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/1/99
Tuesday June 01 1999 09:28, Gisbert Rudolph wrote to Kari Suomela:

KS>> Why does Allfix not read the TZ variable, like other programs do?

GR> Allfix does that, _if_ no time zone is configured with asetup.exe.

Only in the documents, not in reality! I have been using EST5EDT since day 1,
and most programs, including op systems, interpret it correctly. Allfix writes
UTC+0500 in the TICs! :(

KS

Andrew Leary

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
Hello Kari!

Tuesday June 01 1999 21:42, Kari Suomela wrote to Gisbert Rudolph:

KS> Only in the documents, not in reality! I have been using EST5EDT since
KS> day 1, and most programs, including op systems, interpret it
KS> correctly. Allfix writes UTC+0500 in the TICs! :(

I have the same problem here; it started when I upgraded to 5.12. 5.11 worked
correctly.

Andrew

Kari Suomela

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
Wednesday June 02 1999 09:17, Andrew Leary wrote to Kari Suomela:

KS>> it correctly. Allfix writes UTC+0500 in the TICs! :(

AL> I have the same problem here; it started when I upgraded to 5.12.
AL> 5.11 worked correctly.

Another example, when an upgrade is not necessarily an improvement. :(

KS

... A momentary moment of slackness...

Kari Suomela

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
Monday May 31 1999 21:44, Harald Harms wrote to Kari Suomela:

>> Why does Allfix not read the TZ variable, like other programs do?

HH> ALLFIX does read that variable. It also reads the TZUTC variable. It
HH> will overwrite the UTC offset variable in ASETUP (global options menu)

Doesn't do it here! I use TZ=EST5EDT, and Allfix writes UTC+0500 in TICs. :(

KS

... Another good night not to sleep in a eucalyptus tree.

Gisbert Rudolph

Jun 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/4/99
Hello Kari,

Tuesday June 01 1999 21:42, Kari Suomela wrote to Gisbert Rudolph:

KS>>> Why does Allfix not read the TZ variable, like other programs do?

GR>> Allfix does that, _if_ no time zone is configured with asetup.exe.

KS> Only in the documents, not in reality! I have been using EST5EDT since
KS> day 1, and most programs, including op systems, interpret it correctly.
KS> Allfix writes UTC+0500 in the TICs! :(

Sorry, but I believed the documentation.

Regards, Gisbert
rud...@klinikum-wuppertal.de

Harald Harms

Jun 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/22/99
Kari,

>>> Why does Allfix not read the TZ variable, like other programs do?

> HH> ALLFIX does read that variable. It also reads the TZUTC variable. It

> HH> will overwrite the UTC offset variable in ASETUP (global options menu)

> Doesn't do it here! I use TZ=EST5EDT, and Allfix writes UTC+0500 in
> TICs. :(

And what does EST5EDT mean? In my interpretation, it means 5 hours ahead of GMT
and GMT is equal to UTC. ALLFIX uses the UTC format, but it can determine the
proper UTC offset from the TZ and TZUTC variables.
And juding from your example, it is working fine ;-))

Greetings,

Harald Harms

Kari Suomela

Jun 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/23/99
> Doesn't do it here! I use TZ=EST5EDT, and Allfix writes UTC+0500 in
> TICs. :(

HH> And what does EST5EDT mean? In my interpretation, it
HH> means 5 hours ahead of GMT and GMT is equal to UTC.
HH> ALLFIX uses the UTC format, but it can determine the
HH> proper UTC offset from the TZ and TZUTC variables.

All other programs interpret it correctly, i.e. BEHIND UTC. :)

KS

Lawrence R. Mintz

Jun 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/23/99
HH> Kari,

>> HH> ALLFIX does read that variable. It also reads the TZUTC variable. It
>> HH> will overwrite the UTC offset variable in ASETUP (global options menu)

>> Doesn't do it here! I use TZ=EST5EDT, and Allfix writes UTC+0500 in
>> TICs. :(

HH> And what does EST5EDT mean? In my interpretation, it
HH> means 5 hours ahead of GMT and GMT is equal to UTC.
HH> ALLFIX uses the UTC format, but it can determine the
HH> proper UTC offset from the TZ and TZUTC variables.

HH> And juding from your example, it is working fine ;-))

Except that EST5EDT (at least on UNIX systems) means 5 hours in winter (Eastern
Standard Time) and 4 hours in summer (Eastern Daylight savings Time). The
switch points are currently set to be at 2:00 AM on the first Sunday in April
and the last Sunday in October, but have been changed by the US Congress before
and may again some time in the future. UNIX systems have a separate file which
contains the switch point information and the years it affects, since there
have been several changes in the switch points since January first, 1970, the
UNIX starting point for time_t.

Larry

Andrew Leary

Jun 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/24/99
Hello Harald!

Tuesday June 22 1999 12:15, Harald Harms wrote to Kari Suomela:

HH> And what does EST5EDT mean? In my interpretation, it means 5 hours
HH> ahead of GMT and GMT is equal to UTC. ALLFIX uses the UTC format, but
HH> it can determine the proper UTC offset from the TZ and TZUTC
HH> variables. And juding from your example, it is working fine ;-))

EST5EDT is 5 hours *BEHIND* GMT/UTC during Standard Time, and 4 hours behind
during Daylight Savings Time.

Andrew

Jeffrey J. Counsil

Jun 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/25/99
On Stardate 24 Jun 99 02:16:45, Andrew Leary Communicated the Following
To Harald Harms, Regarding TZUTC...

AL> Hello Harald!
AL>
AL> Tuesday June 22 1999 12:15, Harald Harms wrote to Kari Suomela:
AL>
AL> HH> And what does EST5EDT mean? In my interpretation, it means 5 hours
AL> HH> ahead of GMT and GMT is equal to UTC. ALLFIX uses the UTC format, but
AL> HH> it can determine the proper UTC offset from the TZ and TZUTC
AL> HH> variables. And juding from your example, it is working fine ;-))
AL>
AL> EST5EDT is 5 hours *BEHIND* GMT/UTC during Standard Time, and 4 hours behin
AL> during Daylight Savings Time.

Quite correct... Midnight here = 5:00 AM there... Looks like minus 5 hours
to me ;-) Of course we would add 5 hours to come up with GMT/UTC. Confusing,
eh?

Harald Harms

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99
Andrew,

> HH> And what does EST5EDT mean? In my interpretation, it means 5 hours

> HH> ahead of GMT and GMT is equal to UTC. ALLFIX uses the UTC format, but

> HH> it can determine the proper UTC offset from the TZ and TZUTC

> HH> variables. And juding from your example, it is working fine ;-))

> EST5EDT is 5 hours *BEHIND* GMT/UTC during Standard Time, and 4 hours

> behind during Daylight Savings Time.

Ah..enlightment ;-) Now I know what I did wrong ;-)

Thanks,

Harald Harms

Harald Harms

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99
Kari,

>> Doesn't do it here! I use TZ=EST5EDT, and Allfix writes UTC+0500 in
>> TICs. :(

> HH> And what does EST5EDT mean? In my interpretation, it

> HH> means 5 hours ahead of GMT and GMT is equal to UTC.
> HH> ALLFIX uses the UTC format, but it can determine the

> HH> proper UTC offset from the TZ and TZUTC variables.

> All other programs interpret it correctly, i.e. BEHIND UTC. :)

Ahh...now I see ;-) I'll try to fix it ;-)

Harald Harms

Harald Harms

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99
Lawrence,

> Except that EST5EDT (at least on UNIX systems) means 5 hours in
> winter (Eastern Standard Time) and 4 hours in summer (Eastern
> Daylight savings Time). The switch points are currently set to be at
> 2:00 AM on the first Sunday in April and the last Sunday in October,
> but have been changed by the US Congress before and may again some
> time in the future. UNIX systems have a separate file which contains
> the switch point information and the years it affects, since there
> have been several changes in the switch points since January first,
> 1970, the UNIX starting point for time_t.

Thanks for this explanation. I was just looking at the code and I understand
what is going wrong. I am wondering, are there any docs that contain all of the
valid possible strings for the TZ variable? That way I can do it right once and
for all ;-)

Harald Harms

Andrew Leary

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99
Hello Jeffrey!

Friday June 25 1999 14:26, Jeffrey J. Counsil wrote to Andrew Leary:

AL>> EST5EDT is 5 hours *BEHIND* GMT/UTC during Standard Time, and 4
AL>> hours behin during Daylight Savings Time.

JJC> Quite correct... Midnight here = 5:00 AM there... Looks like minus 5
JJC> hours to me ;-) Of course we would add 5 hours to come up with
JJC> GMT/UTC. Confusing, eh?

The thing I find interesting is that ALLFIX interpreted it correctly until 5.12
came out; since then it has been backwards.

Andrew

Andrew Leary

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
Hello Harald!

Saturday June 26 1999 16:43, Harald Harms wrote to Andrew Leary:

>> EST5EDT is 5 hours *BEHIND* GMT/UTC during Standard Time, and 4

>> hours behind during Daylight Savings Time.

HH> Ah..enlightment ;-) Now I know what I did wrong ;-)

Great. Hopefully it'll be easy to fix for 5.14.

HH> Thanks,

No problemo!

Andrew

Jeffrey J. Counsil

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
On Stardate 26 Jun 99 18:34:35, Andrew Leary Communicated the Following
To Jeffrey J. Counsil, Regarding TZUTC...

AL> AL>> EST5EDT is 5 hours *BEHIND* GMT/UTC during Standard Time, and 4
AL> AL>> hours behin during Daylight Savings Time.
AL>
AL> JJC> Quite correct... Midnight here = 5:00 AM there... Looks like minus
AL> JJC> hours to me ;-) Of course we would add 5 hours to come up with
AL> JJC> GMT/UTC. Confusing, eh?
AL>
AL> The thing I find interesting is that ALLFIX interpreted it correctly until
AL> 5.12 came out; since then it has been backwards.

With Harald's track record, I'm sure it'll get "fixed"..