FREQ's again locking system...

Dave Davidson

Jun 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/8/99
Hiya Harald,

After upgrading all three versions (DOS, UNIV and Wildcat) to v5.13b4,
everything was running great! Even the freq's ran without error.

After running the new version for a few weeks, the freq's started causing
Allfix to crash. Not just one, but all three versions were effected. The
irony is I haven't changed anything on this machine. Haven't added or
deleted any software, hardware, etc., nothing. New files, .TIC files, etc.,
are properly processed and announced but when Allfix starts responding to
FREQ's, it locks up solid!

Here is a clip from the log....

+ 07 Jun 00:42:25 AFIX FIXUTIL v5.13.004 22-May-99 10:06
# 07 Jun 00:42:25 AFIX Recompiling REQUEST.IDX and REQUEST.FIX files
# 07 Jun 00:42:27 AFIX REQUEST.IDX successfully created
# 07 Jun 00:42:27 AFIX Number of files scanned: 12086
# 07 Jun 00:42:27 AFIX Number of fileechos scanned: 35
# 07 Jun 00:42:27 AFIX Number of other dirs scanned: 117

+ 07 Jun 00:42:40 AFIX FIXUTIL v5.13.004 22-May-99 10:06
# 07 Jun 00:42:40 AFIX Sorting FILES.BBS files
# 07 Jun 00:42:45 AFIX Sorted (5202) files in (39) areas.

+ 07 Jun 00:47:09 AFIX ALLFIX v5.13.004 22-May-99 10:06
# 07 Jun 00:47:09 AFIX Command : File
# 07 Jun 00:47:27 AFIX Processing file request from k...@universe.pangea.ca
# 07 Jun 00:47:27 AFIX FREQ: BNU189H.ZIP
# 07 Jun 00:47:27 AFIX

+ 07 Jun 01:02:17 AFIX FIXUTIL v5.13.004 22-May-99 10:06
# 07 Jun 01:02:17 AFIX Building file database files (FILES.FIX)
# 07 Jun 01:02:36 AFIX Scanned (10644) files in (80) areas.

Notice the time difference between the FREQ and the next entry. That's
where Allfix froze and obviously, no further logging took place.
I've had to disable the Internet portion to keep the rest of Allfix
functioning.

This is on an AMD K6/2-350 System with 64MB Ram running under WIN98 in a
DOS Box. It happens even when being run full screen.

I also noticed a severe slowdown in Allfix starting, sometimes several
minutes. That has been corrected by giving Allfix a 4.5MB RAM Drive in
which to do the processing rather than a \TEMP directory on the HD. Again,
that occurred in all three versions. The most stable of the three, has been
the DOS version, which is what I run more frequently that the UNIV or
Wildcat version.

Since it effects all three versions, I suspect it's more to do with
Hardware or Software conflicts than with Allfix. I'm building another
AMD machine, this one with the K6/2-450 CPU, and that should tell if it is
the CPU that's creating the problem rather than something else.

Any suggestions?

Have a GREAT one!

Dave Davidson da...@primary.net
ICQ: 37076334
dad...@aol.com

Harald Harms

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99
Dave,

> After running the new version for a few weeks, the freq's started
> causing
> Allfix to crash. Not just one, but all three versions were effected.
> The
> irony is I haven't changed anything on this machine. Haven't added or
> deleted any software, hardware, etc., nothing. New files, .TIC files,
> etc.,
> are properly processed and announced but when Allfix starts
> responding to
> FREQ's, it locks up solid!

I read your message in another echo. I still have no clue as to what is going
wrong. It doens't make any sense that it works fine for a while and all of a
sudden stops. ALLFIX doesn't store anything concerning the file requests. So
one run does not influence the next. Could there be something else that is
changing on your system? Something that you are unaware of?

Harald Harms