BACHMAN(N) Germany to Illinois in 1866

Scottorino

Oct 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/9/96

Dear fellow Bachman researchers,

To those of you not interested in the Bachman name, my sincere apologies
for bothering you. I got your name from a search of AOL members in an
effort to try to identify the names of my gg grandparents.

I am searching for information regarding Adam Heinrich Bachman and his
parents, George Bachman and Moklin Sputh. Does anyone have any
information about Adam, George and Moklin?

I actually have a photo taken in the 1800s of German farmers standing next
to oxen which says on the back, "Bachman family in Germany." I do not
have any of the names of the people in the photo.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer. If a more complete
listing of the descendants of George Bachman will help your research,
please email me.

Scott Filley
San Francisco

The information I have for three generations of the descendants of George
Bachman is as follows:

FIRST GENERATION

1. George BACHMAN, died in 1860 in Germany.

He married Mocklin SPUTH.

They had the following children:

+2 i. Adam Heinrich BACHMAN

SECOND GENERATION

2. Adam Heinrich BACHMAN was born on Nov 8 1845 in Melbourne, near
Eisenach, Germany - Saxony. Died on Dec 27 1918 in Salem, IL. Immigrated
in 1866 in Illinois from Germany. Adam came to Lebanon from Germany in
1866, when he was 18. He was a cabinet maker by trade. Adam was one of 9
children.

The Lebonon Newspaper, Thursday, March 20, 1975 has an article called
Another Sector of Lebanon's Genealogy, Kolb Family is traced to German
Background. It reads as follows:

Melba Schoene of Trenton, interested in history and genealogy, brought in
to the Advertiser recently the following information on the Bachman and
Kolb families: George Bachman died in Germany in 1860. His widow was the
former Moklin Sputh. A son, Adam H. Bachman, who was born Nov 8, 1845 in
Saxony, Germany, came to Lebanon in 1866. he and the former Mary Alkire
of Lebanon were married Nov 5, 1868 and moved, soon after to Salem, IL.
He was a cabinet maker by trade and followed that interest, among others
in Salem. By 1908, when he died, he was president of the National Bank of
Salem and the Farmers and Merchants Bank in St. Peters. He also owned,
according to the "History of Marion County" by Brinkerhoffs, nine well
kept and good producing farms and a lot of real estate in the towns of
Salem, Matoon, Oakland and East St. Louis. His real estate holdings
amounted were said to have amounted to as much as his farms. The couple
had 11 children, seven of whom survived in 1908 when adam died. The
living children were Frank Bachman, Mrs. Amy Stonecipher, Charles Bachman,
Adam Bachman Jr., and Paulina Cope, all of Salem and Elizabeth (Lizzy)
Kolb, wife of William Kolb, Lebanon.

Descendants of William and Elizabeth are: Charles Kolb, Lebanon; the late
Marie Filley, widow of Glen, Kathryn, wife of Charles Kurz, Carlyle; and
Pauline, wife of Walter Niles, Kansas City, MO; Marie and Glen's son,
William Filley, San Francisco, Pauline and Walter's son, Lane Niles,
Chicago...

He married Marianna Altguier SMITH on Nov 15 1868. Marianna Altguier
SMITH was born on Jan 15 1849 in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. Died on May 10
1918 in Salem, IL. Parents were German.

They had the following children:

+3 i. Elizabeth Olive BACHMANN
4 ii. Anna BACHMAN was born on Jan 30 1871 in Salem IL. Died on
Jan 15 1872 in Salem, IL of Typhoid.
5 iii. Marianna BACHMAN was born on Nov 26 1872. Died on Jan 12
1873.
6 iv. Anna Marie BACHMAN was born on Nov 26 1872 in Salem, IL.
Died on Jan 12 1873 in Salem, IL of Typhoid.
7 v. Henrietta BACHMAN was born on Sep 21 1873 in Salem, IL.
Died on Sep 30 1875 in Salem, IL.
+8 vi. Benjamin Franklin BACHMAN
9 vii. George Henry BACHMAN was born on Jan 9 1878 in Salem, IL.
Died on Nov 4 1899 in Salem, IL of typhoid.
+10 viii. Maria Amy BACHMAN
11 ix. Amelia Maude BACHMAN was born on Dec 10 1883 in Salem, IL.
Died on Jan 28 1959 in Odin, IL. Never married, had no children. Met the
Bachman family in Germany.
+12 x. Charles Friedrich BACHMAN
+13 xi. Adam Henrich BACHMAN Jr.
+14 xii. Pauline BACHMAN

THIRD GENERATION

3. Elizabeth Olive BACHMANN was born on Sep 5 1869 in Salem, IL. Died on
Aug 15 1927 in Lebanon, IL. Lizzie

She married William KOLB on Dec 25 1896. William KOLB was born on Oct 16
1868 in Mascoute, IL (St. Clair CO). Died in Jun 1937 in Lebanon, IL.
William left home at 14 and worked in a grocery store in Venice, IL. He
then worked at Tieteman's in O'Fallon before opening the grocery store in
Lebanon.

They had the following children:

+15 i. Marie KOLB
+16 ii. Kathryn KOLB
+17 iii. Charles William KOLB
+18 iv. Pauline KOLB

waltonsmo...@gmail.com

Jun 2, 2016, 1:35:08 PM6/2/16
Greetings! I am not part of the Bachman family, but I do have great interest in the history of the family. My husband and I purchased the home built by Charles and Naomi Bachman, in Salem IL last year. It is on the historical register. It is right next door to the A H Bachman Victorian style home. I am researching the history of the homes and the families.
Sonny Taylor
615.739.4792
waltonsmo...@gmail.com

pluml...@gmail.com

Oct 30, 2016, 3:24:02 PM10/30/16
Hello: My name is Timothy George Bachmann. My father was Michael Fredric Bachmann. My uncle is John Bachmann. My grandparents were George Adam Bachmann and Helen Isabel Johnston. My great grandparents were Charles Friedrich Bachmann and Naomi Chamberlain and William R. Johnston and Carolyn Robson Johnston. I believe their parents were Adam Heinrich Bachmann & Marianna Altguir Smith - Oscar W. Chamberlain and Grace Macomber Chamberlain & John Johnston and Martha ? & Nicholas Robson and Isabell Robson. I believe the parents of Adam Heinrich Bachmann were likely George Bachmann and Mocklin Sputh. I can be reached at pluml...@gmail.com. I remember visiting the Charles and Naomi Bachmann house in Salem as a kid.

waltonsmo...@gmail.com

Mar 28, 2017, 10:01:05 AM3/28/17
My email is simple...@gmail.com and I am eager to learn about the Bachmann family. Sadly, I learned that Charles Bachmann committed suicide in this house in 967 and I have not been able to find any research as to why.