Chattanooga EPB Fiber Optic Network

Terry

Nov 8, 2010, 10:30:44 PM11/8/10
to Fiber For Communities
I just moved from Chattanooga to Hotlanta. Makes me wish I had not
moved. Now I'm religated to beteween 6-15mpbs download speed.
between At&t and comcast. Chattanooga Area now has Fiber Optic TV/
Internet w/normal download speeds at about 50mpbs up to 1 Gig. through
the power board at cheaper prices than what people were paying for
Satilite/Internet. Seems that this is one of the places you all need
to be looking at and copying.

Angel Demirev

Nov 13, 2010, 8:41:13 PM11/13/10
to Fiber For Communities
But in Sandy, Utah the local phone company only offers up to 1.5
mbps ;)

Lluís Dalmau

Nov 14, 2010, 7:43:38 AM11/14/10
to angeld...@gmail.com, Fiber For Communities
Hello,

I'm from Vic (Catalonia, Europe) in our country the local telco only offers 6 mbps. Yesterday we installed optical fiber p2p with a free, open and neutral network and this week we will have 100 MB and in a few weeks 1GB, our network is a community network do-it-yourselve. Our model is explained here http://guifi.net/en/what_is_guifinet

Lluís

Bill

Nov 16, 2010, 9:16:56 AM11/16/10
to Fiber For Communities
So, do you have information, or perhaps contact, who might explain how
Chattanooga did this and what exactly the "power board" is? -whs

weston

Dec 1, 2010, 10:14:06 AM12/1/10
to Fiber For Communities
The Electric Power Board in Chattanooga is the local utility board and
over the last several years EPB laid the fiber optic network that now
provides America's fastest internet service and made possible
Chattanooga's next generation smart grid system. Now, every home in a
9 county radius around Chattanooga has access to speeds up to 1 gig
per second and our southern city is primed to become a hotbed for the
development of applications using bandwith of 100+ MBPS.

Learn more at http://www.chattanoogagig.com/.