Data recovery after moving BeeGFS metadata

Vladimir Stegailov

Jul 29, 2021, 4:43:41 AM7/29/21
to beegfs-user
Hi!

The brief description of our problem is as follows:

During migration to new BeeGFS storage, we saved the metadata using “cp -a”. After we have moved the metadata back, we see the files, see their correct names and correct sizes. However, we cannot read the files.

We use two buddy mirroring groups on 2 NVMe disks in a single server.
The metadata in each buddy group have been saved and then restored separately.

Please let me know is there a chance that it could be possible to recover the data in this case?

Vladimir

James Burton

Jul 30, 2021, 10:10:38 AM7/30/21
to fhgfs...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, "cp -a" doesn't preserve the xattr data that BeeGFS uses to store metadata. Without the xattr data, your copies are useless.

If you have the original metadata storage targets, you can restore from them using "rsync -aHX". If not, your metadata may be lost.

Jim

James Burton
OS and Storage Architect
Advanced Computing Infrastructure
Clemson University Computing and Information Technology
340 Computer Court
Anderson, SC 29625