Multimode Storage Question

James Hutton

Mar 27, 2024, 6:40:22 AMMar 27
to beegfs-user
We're putting together a new BeeGFS deployment based on Dell's whitepaper (https://www.delltechnologies.com/asset/en-us/solutions/infrastructure-solutions/industry-market/dell-beegfs-high-capacity-architecture-h19033-1.pdf) but some of the finer details are missing in that guide.

We'll have storage servers with 16 storage targets each (4 per ME array they're connected to, and each server is connected to 4 arrays).

In our first test deployment, I've gone with a single beegfs-storage instance per server, with 16 targets.

But would it be better to use multimode and have more instances of the service running with fewer targets per instance, eg 4 instances per server each with 4 targets?

Multimode is already in use for the metadata (even with our current deployment), but I'll admit to never really testing performance in depth. Hopefully there are some recommendations we could just follow.

Guan Xin

Mar 29, 2024, 2:43:05 AMMar 29
to beegfs-user
Hi,

With one target faulty, all targets managed by the same daemon will be put into "Emergency" mode.
That's the only reason that I see for running multi-mode beegfs-storage.

Regards,
Guan