Create R/O BeeGFS filesystem from ZFS snapshots ?

Jens Dreger

Sep 12, 2016, 10:47:03 AM9/12/16
to fhgfs...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I'm trying to assemble a working BeeGFS instance from ZFS snapshots of
meta and storage nodes. Is this something that can actually work or is
it technically impossible for some reason? I didn't get it working so
far so I thought I'd better ask...

Thanks for any hints,

Jens.

--
Jens Dreger Freie Universitaet Berlin
dre...@physik.fu-berlin.de Fachbereich Physik - ZEDV

Michael Ruepp

Sep 14, 2016, 12:30:04 AM9/14/16
to fhgfs...@googlegroups.com
You must halt all server daemons (storage/meta) before you take the snapshot. Then it should be possible to transfer or reinstate the beegfs from the snapshots.

But there are also the files from the stalled clients (if there are open files) so you definitely have to run a fsck

Mit freundlichen Grüssen/Best regards,

Michael Ruepp, BA

_________________

mic...@ruepp.at

fon +43 676 911 40 90

skype michaelruepp

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message (including any attachments transmitted with it) contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named herein. If you are not the herein named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or otherwise make use of this message. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this message by mistake, and delete it from your systems.

Jens Dreger

Sep 14, 2016, 2:55:06 AM9/14/16
to fhgfs...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 05:09:21PM +0200, Michael Ruepp wrote:
> You must halt all server daemons (storage/meta) before you take the snapshot.
> Then it should be possible to transfer or reinstate the beegfs from the
> snapshots.
>
> But there are also the files from the stalled clients (if there are open files)
> so you definitely have to run a fsck

I got it working now. My problem was not taking the snapshots but I
missed some small things when putting them back together. Now I have
eight beegfs instances, the primary r/w and one r/o snapshot for every
day of the week. Very nice, I'm happy :)

Regards,

Jens.

Sven Breuner

Sep 15, 2016, 4:12:03 PM9/15/16
to fhgfs...@googlegroups.com, Jens Dreger
Hi Jens,

thanks for sharing this information, I'm glad to hear it works now. If you have
anything more to share like maybe a script or a description of the steps or how
you set things up (e.g. if the problem that you mentioned for putting the
snapshots back together could also happen to other people trying the same), I'm
sure that a lot of people here would find that very interesting.

Best regards,
Sven