Client 7.3.x and server 7.2.x version mismatch compatibility

John DeSantis

Oct 18, 2022, 4:28:55 AM10/18/22
to beegfs-user
Hello all,

Are any sites running a more recent client version (7.3.x,) than server versions (7.2.x)?  If so, have any oddities been noticed?

We are planning for an update of our cluster nodes to the latest Rocky Linux version and part of this upgrade includes the BeeGFS client packages.  A node that has been set aside for testing is running version 7.3.1 without an issue and has successfully mounted the file system and no messages have been logged.

We are waiting for a definitive response from ThinkParq, but I also figured it would be a good idea to poll the community as well.

John DeSantis

Evan Felix

Mar 16, 2023, 2:22:08 PM3/16/23
to beegfs-user
What was the final outcome?  can you run the 7.3.X client rpms against the older servers?

Guan Xin

Mar 16, 2023, 11:14:12 PM3/16/23
to beegfs-user
Nothing suspicious on BeeGFS 7.3.2, and the 7.3.3 update seems mostly about NUMA optimizations (which I doubt if necessary when one could do that with less effort using virtualization) and internal API clean-up rather than bugfix.

Guan