Windows10_jupyter_docker_ issue

Johan Kr

Jul 3, 2021, 6:44:42 PM7/3/21
to fenics-support
Dear Fenics community,

After struggling with this for multiple days i decided to get some help.

Background (what does work)

- I managed to get a working docker, fenics container in windows 10,
however as you might expect doing simulations in the cmd line is not my dream.

- I have managed to use jupyter notebook (which will be depreciated) and jupyter lab in  docker without any issues.

Motivation
So i was looking for a more adequate solution that would allow me to stay with my os.
I came across this

Implementation
from: https://fenics.readthedocs.io/projects/containers/en/latest/jupyter.html
5.1, i simply copied the code replacing $(pwd) with %cd%

input:

  1. C:\Users\J>docker run --name notebook -w /home/fenics -v %cd%:/home/fenics/shared -d -p 127.0.0.1:8888:8888 quay.io/fenicsproject/stable 'jupyter-notebook --ip=0.0.0.0'

Ouput:

  1. 33f17670b88ad1c1ae585e1ccf8a7bf0105e25e2d7bb4467112799500ae06377

When i check my docker file in docker for windows i find the following
  1. --ip=0.0.0.0': -c: line 0: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''
  2. --ip=0.0.0.0': -c: line 1: syntax error: unexpected end of file

Result:
It simply doesn't work and i cannot figure out how to make it work. any help would be much appreciated.

What i have also tried
1) Using the depreciated docker toolbox -> this simply doesn't properly run on windows 10 for me so was a flop
2) Running through conda, and off course i came to the obvious conclusion that many main packages are simply not available for windows and that this doesn´t work without linux.
My bad off course i missed ( To use our prebuilt Anaconda Python packages (Linux and Mac only),"

fenics, fenics-dolfin, fenics-libdolfin,  simply not available for windows.

Questions:
1) Is there an elegant way to resolve this and make fenics work in a jupyter notebook on docker in windows 10 ?
2) Am i finally forced to accept that there is no decent interface on windows and shall i abandon my search for such a thing and consign myself to linux and Fenics?
3) Are there plans for extending the conda pre-built to include windows ?

Recommendations
1) If option 2 is a reality i would highly recommend being more explicit about this on the website as these kind of LinuX has all functionality and windows only limited are big timewasting jokes, i would surely have appreciated knowing it earlier :).
2) Please include the %cd% in docker tutorial as this is not obvious for all windows users.