Coupled Physics/ Enriched FEM

Ehsan Haghighat

Sep 19, 2018, 11:16:36 AM9/19/18
to fenics-dev
Dear FEniCS developers:

While searing for a python based PDE solver, I came across FEniCS yesterday. I went through the demos yesterday to find what problems have been solved using this package, and it seems a wide range. I am trying to choose a platform to perform some geophysical simulations as a result have few questions to find out if it is a good fit for my purpose:

- Does it support heterogeneity and material nonlinearity?

- Does it support frictional contact (with/w.o. only active tangential degrees of freedom) and if so, can I change the friction model for Coulomb to a rate-and-state type model easily?

- How well the DG implementation is tested?

- How suitable is it for modeling a coupled problem such as flow in porous media?

- Does it support nodal enrichments (say an XFEM application)?

I would appreciate if you provide/ or point me to demo files for these problems if the answer is yes. Thank you in advance.

Best,
Ehsan